Great trip to Cozumel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usnadiver03

Reaction score
I just got back from a Disney Cruise (Magic) to the Western Carribean and one of our stops was in Cozumel. We were actually the very first Disney Cruise ship to return to Cozumel in over 7 months, and I am really glad we did.

To put this in to perspective, we dove Grand Cayman the day prior to Cozumel, and GC cannot shake a stick and the wonder and grandeur of Cozumel. We did a two tank dive, one on Santa Rosa Wall and the other on Paradise Reef. It was obvious that there was some sand cover where perhaps there was none before, but I am sure some stiff currents will take care of that in no time at all.

The wall was spectacular. We saw some amazing wildlife to include barracuda, sea turtles, rays and such a plethora of cora and anemone that it would take too long to list. The flats of Paradise Reef were teeming with wildlife. There were some giant parrot fisht (greater than 24 inches), a beautiful toad fish and more tangs that I can remember. As I am sure the more experienced COZ divers are aware, the Angel fish were spectacular!

I agree that the island itself and the peoper there have been devastated, but just as anyone would hope, they are rebuilding and welcome the tourists who are making their way back. I was actually amazed that this 3rd world nation is in a better state (emotionally and mentally) than New Orleans. I guess sometimes when you have always had to do it yourself instead of waiting for handouts, when terrrible things happen, you just rebuild.

Overall, great trip!!!

You couldn't have been in Cozumel; it was wiped off the face of the earth! :D

I had the same thought as you when we were there in February. I wanted to load a bunch of people on a plane, and send them to New Orleans. They were able to rebuild so quickly, because the people didn't sit around waiting for someone to "do" for them. They also didn't have to wait for the government to react properly; the President of Mexico got it done quickly. Maybe because he doesn't spend so much time deciding who to invade next. Oh, I'm getting too political, aren't I? Back to what I was doing.......

Glad you had a good trip.

Where did you dive in Grand Cayman? I love Coz and go a 2-3 times a year, but my all time favorite dives are on the East End of Grand Cayman. There are also some really great dives on the North wall in GC. I have not been impressed with the west side though, which is probably where you were taken if you did a dive excursion booked from the ship.

usnadiver03:
I just got back from a Disney Cruise (Magic) to the Western Carribean and one of our stops was in Cozumel. We were actually the very first Disney Cruise ship to return to Cozumel in over 7 months, and I am really glad we did.

To put this in to perspective, we dove Grand Cayman the day prior to Cozumel, and GC cannot shake a stick and the wonder and grandeur of Cozumel. We did a two tank dive, one on Santa Rosa Wall and the other on Paradise Reef. It was obvious that there was some sand cover where perhaps there was none before, but I am sure some stiff currents will take care of that in no time at all.

The wall was spectacular. We saw some amazing wildlife to include barracuda, sea turtles, rays and such a plethora of cora and anemone that it would take too long to list. The flats of Paradise Reef were teeming with wildlife. There were some giant parrot fisht (greater than 24 inches), a beautiful toad fish and more tangs that I can remember. As I am sure the more experienced COZ divers are aware, the Angel fish were spectacular!

I agree that the island itself and the peoper there have been devastated, but just as anyone would hope, they are rebuilding and welcome the tourists who are making their way back. I was actually amazed that this 3rd world nation is in a better state (emotionally and mentally) than New Orleans. I guess sometimes when you have always had to do it yourself instead of waiting for handouts, when terrrible things happen, you just rebuild.

Overall, great trip!!!

Very nice report, thanks. Glad you had a good time.

Back
Top Bottom