Planning an August trip -- Am I Crazy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DallasNewbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This will be our third year in a row going down to Coz in August. Last year, we were postponed by Emily. Am I crazy to be panning another August vacation in Coz? We have had a fantastic time evey trip, even during the Emily recovery, but I certainly don't want to wind up in the middle of a storm.

Edit: I just noticed there is another thread asking the same question, so feel free to ignore me. :11doh:

Traveling anywhere in the Caribbean has it's risks during hurricane season. Do it often enough and you will have to deal with them. That's what trip insurance is all about and that's when I pay the $$ for it, when there is an increased chance of mother nature ruining my trip.

If you've gone before in Aug and it was fine, then it probably will be this time! Just book the trip and get the trip insurance, just in case. Weather is a crapshoot, you rolls the dice and takes your chances. eyebrow

DallasNewbie:
This will be our third year in a row going down to Coz in August. Last year, we were postponed by Emily. Am I crazy to be panning another August vacation in Coz? We have had a fantastic time evey trip, even during the Emily recovery, but I certainly don't want to wind up in the middle of a storm.

Edit: I just noticed there is another thread asking the same question, so feel free to ignore me. :11doh:

Just came back from our third trip this year to Cozumel. Managed to dive for 5 days. In August of last year, my wife and my mother-in-law were on the island at our house when Emily hit. We talked on the cell phone everyday. They ate canned food and drank warm bottled water for four days.

On day four in the middle of our cell phone call the electricity came back on and she said I'll talk to you later I'm going inside to cool off and take a real shower.

She obviously didn't learn as she's headed back for the whole summer. What are the odds we'll get hit again. This was the first time that a storm every came through Cozumel while either of us were down there.

Trip insurance might be a good option for you.

Thanks guys. I did buy the trip insurance last year, but I turned out not to need it, even though Emily put us off two weeks. Since all the deposits were either refunded or used later, there was nothing for insurance to pay. I guess getting stuck down there is probably a different situtation, and the insurance will help get you back home.

For August I would buy it. Even though the odds are against another hit, mother nature has been known to ignore the odds. :)

We will be there in August too. We usually go ahead and get the trip insurance

If your crazy than so am I :D
I've already booked our trip, 9/2 - 9/9..
Can't wait..

me and my dad are going august 3-10.
What is trip insurance?

newdiver3:
me and my dad are going august 3-10.
What is trip insurance?
If you buy trip insurance before your trip, it will pay for any deposits you lose because of a covered event, or for travel that has to be rescheduled. The specific terms of the insurance and what is/isn't covered depends on the policy that you buy. Last year, I bought from DAN, but there's probably a million companies that sell it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom