Friendly and hopefully helpful Coz airport time share tip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ocasionally, I like to put this reminder out there for newcomers to Cozumel so that they aren't taken advantage of and/or don't get themsleves into an uncomfortable situation that they don't want to be in.

Many of you have had aggressive time share experiences, others may have only heard some of the horror stories, and then some of you may have had very positive time share experiences. I hope that some of you will share your accounts with us. This is intended as nothing more than a "heads up" so that you can make an informed decision.

As you exit customs and come through the glass doors, there will be several men/women in dark slacks (in a single file line) and white shirts that say "Tourist Advisory." These are time share salesmen/women. They are NOT the Tourist Board nor are they there to help you find your way around. They are there to make an appointment for you to hear the time share pitch. They will offer you "freebies" to come hear the "45 minute" presentation. As many can probably attest to, there is more to these "freebies" than meets the eye.

As you exit customs, they will ask you "Where are you staying? What is your destination?" They can be very aggressive. If you are not interested in a time share, then simply say "no thanks" or ignore them. If you ARE interested in a time share, then by all means, talk to them.

You do not need these people to get your transfers despite what they might say. If coming in on a charter, the Charter company representatives will be outside the second set of glass doors in uniform and usually holding a sign that says "Apple Vacations," "Funjet," "Worry Free" etc.

If you need to purchase your shuttle tickets, the sales window is just to the left as you come through the glass doors after customs. Prices to the hotels are clearly displayed and the prices are regulated.

I hope this helps at least one person to avoid wasted vacation time or to become the proud new owner of a time share property in Cozumel...if that is what you want! :)

NadMat:
Thanks for the helpful tips, Christi! Hope to meet up with y'all next trip down. Unfortunately, that won't happen till deep into winter, when I flee south to escape the horribly cold 40 something temps here in Austin area :wink: :D

Yeah, this past winter here in Austin was BRUTAL! Do you know that not once but TWICE I went out to go to work in the morning, and there was actual ICE on the windshield of my car? You know, that stuff that you normally see in a freezer! What's up with THAT??!!

ggunn:
Yeah, this past winter here in Austin was BRUTAL! Do you know that not once but TWICE I went out to go to work in the morning, and there was actual ICE on the windshield of my car? You know, that stuff that you normally see in a freezer! What's up with THAT??!!

I'm with you Gordon, Ice is for chillin' your drinks, and fillin' in around the keg :cheers:

It is just wrong for it to exist in the wild! And I had little balls of it all over my patio yesterday :frown:

Snow, on the other hand, is nice to visit for a week or so somewheres up on a mountain.

But, more on topic, No worries about it in Coz :D They keep it in the margaritas where it belongs :wink:

ggunn:

I think those were the only 2 mornings that I wasn't able to wear shorts to work....yeah it was a mighty cold winter here:D

parrotheaddiver:
I think those were the only 2 mornings that I wasn't able to wear shorts to work....yeah it was a mighty cold winter here:D

You guys make me sick... :D

Mind you, we had a mild winter... Don't remember any days below 0 F...

I've fallen into the trap of attending a time share presentation a couple of times now. On both occassions I have NOT received all the freebies that were promised.

I always think that I'm not going to let the salesmen get to me, but these guys are pros. If you don't buy, you're stupid and have wasted their valuable time. I've always walked out feeling extremely violated.

It's also important to note that the salesmen will promise you ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to make a sale.

My advice is to go on E-Bay to see how many people are trying to sell their timeshares for a fraction of the price they've paid for them. I also recommend passing on the hundreds of dollars worth of freebies being offered to attend the presentation. If you do take them up on the offer, be prepared to spend about three hours at the presentation and another couple of hours trying to retreive a fraction of the "free" stuff you were promised.

If do decide that owning a time share is right for you, buy it on the used market for a fraction of the cost; but even then, be sure to check for hidden fees and high-priced mandatory all-inclusive costs.

EricJ:
I've fallen into the trap of attending a time share presentation a couple of times now. On both occassions I have NOT received all the freebies that were promised.

I always think that I'm not going to let the salesmen get to me, but these guys are pros. If you don't buy, you're stupid and have wasted their valuable time. I've always walked out feeling extremely violated.

It's also important to note that the salesmen will promise you ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to make a sale.

My advice is to go on E-Bay to see how many people are trying to sell their timeshares for a fraction of the price they've paid for them. I also recommend passing on the hundreds of dollars worth of freebies being offered to attend the presentation. If you do take them up on the offer, be prepared to spend about three hours at the presentation and another couple of hours trying to retreive a fraction of the "free" stuff you were promised.

If do decide that owning a time share is right for you, buy it on the used market for a fraction of the cost; but even then, be sure to check for hidden fees and high-priced mandatory all-inclusive costs.

It brings to mind an episode of "South Park", doesn't it?

abitton:
You guys make me sick... :D

Mind you, we had a mild winter... Don't remember any days below 0 F...

Of course we are having a wonderful spring...It hit 100 degrees last Friday or Sat or both....whew......sorry for the hijack

Thanks for the info Christy. First visit in May and did one of the timeshare deals in Cancun a couple of years ago. Had fun with it though and did get the freebees. Not willing to do it twice. For all of you in Texas...what's ice? Isn't that to keep my run and coke cold? Why would you put it on your car?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom