Pro Dive Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoniCro

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading down to the Mayan Riviera next month (Puerto Aventuras), and there'a a dive shop at my hotel called ProDive Mexico. I'm trying to compare prices, and these guys are fairly expensive compared to the shops in Playa del Carmen. BTW, I'm looking to do a couple local ocean dives, a couple Cenotes, and do a trip to Coz.

I know I have to factor in cab fare to-and-from, but even still, cost-wise it would be cheaper for me to head to PDC.

Anyone dive with ProDive? Any comments and/or suggestions? I've read a few good feedbacks on TripAdvisor, but that's about it...

SoniCro:
I'm heading down to the Mayan Riviera next month (Puerto Aventuras), and there'a a dive shop at my hotel called ProDive Mexico. I'm trying to compare prices, and these guys are fairly expensive compared to the shops in Playa del Carmen. BTW, I'm looking to do a couple local ocean dives, a couple Cenotes, and do a trip to Coz.

I know I have to factor in cab fare to-and-from, but even still, cost-wise it would be cheaper for me to head to PDC.

Anyone dive with ProDive? Any comments and/or suggestions? I've read a few good feedbacks on TripAdvisor, but that's about it...

If comparing prices, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. In otherwords, check actual services provided, dive profiles, DM to diver ratio, etc.

I don't know what kind of price difference you are talking about, but I would find it very hard t believe that the hassle and cost of a taxi to PDC every morning would really be worth the savings, if there even really are any true savings. Don't underestimate the costs of a taxi from Puerto Aventuras to PDC. Even a taxi in PDC will not be able to give you door to door service as all the dive shops in PDC are in the pedestrian area of PDC down by the water...so you would still have to walk with your gear for at least two blocks...that's about the closest the taxi's can get you.

If you are staying in Puerto Aventuras and want to do both ocean dives and cenotes, check out Aquanauts in Puerto Aventuras. www.aquanauts-online.com Dennis (Diablo Divers) is one of the owners and a very good cenote guide. I haven't done any ocean diving with them since I stay in Akumal and have a favorite shop I use there. I have done cenotes with Dennis and based on that experience, and talking to divers who did ocean dives with Aquanauts, I would use them if I was staying in Aventuras.

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't even know Aquanauts was in P.A. Just to put it in perspective: Prodive - $427 for a 2+2+3 dive package (Cenotes/Coz/Reefs) w/o equipment. Aquanauts lists $260 for a 2+2+2, incl. equipment. Since I'm bringing my own gear, I'm sure their price will be cheaper (~$210), and more in line with PDC prices.

I don't want to sound like cost it the only thing that matters...but at 2x the price, ouch!

SoniCro:
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't even know Aquanauts was in P.A. Just to put it in perspective: Prodive - $427 for a 2+2+3 dive package (Cenotes/Coz/Reefs) w/o equipment. Aquanauts lists $260 for a 2+2+2, incl. equipment. Since I'm bringing my own gear, I'm sure their price will be cheaper (~$210), and more in line with PDC prices.

I don't want to sound like cost it the only thing that matters...but at 2x the price, ouch!

Definitely sounds like Aquanauts is a better deal, but don't count on getting it for less just because you have your own equipment. Aside from the fact that that deal says "Special Offer" on their website, equipment being inclded is typically as a courtesy for those who don't have their own, but won't lower the price just because you have your own.

Their normal price for that package would be $275 per their listed prices on the website...and actually probably a little more for the Coz dives. My point is that it's still a great deal...and probably a much better experience than Pro-Dive...who is most likely a "cattle boat" operation.

We dove with Pro-Dive when we stayed at the Sunscape hotel. They now also have an op setup at the Catalonia, and a couple of other hotels. We hated the Sunscape hotel (PM me if you're staying there and want details), but were happy with Pro-Dive. Their prices are a little high (we didn't know the difference then), but they are a good, conscientious dive op. Detailed briefing before each dive, including drawing the profile on a board. The boats are small, and we had a max of 10 divers on the boat; with a max group size of 6. We did the first half of our certification with them, and they definitely didn't "let us slide" on any of the skills. We had time for one "fun" dive, and the DM took his time poking around the reef, with no rush to get back to the boat. Nahuel (the head instructor at the time) checked everyone's gear on the boat, including a group that was working on their AOW cert. Tina (another instructor) is very patient, fun to dive with, and looks incredible in a white bikini.:drejnd: Tanks are put on the boat for you, but you have to walk about 1/4 mile to the marina schleping your gear, including the weights. We rented gear, so I don't know if they will store your gear overnight. They will store your bags and stuff while you go diving.

If you dive with Aquanauts, PA is a three minute taxi ride from the Sunscape or Catalonia. They have a good reputation, from what I've read. There were always a few taxis right out front at the Sunscape. PA is a 10-15 minute stroll from the Sunscape, but you'd better have a rolling case if you plan to walk with your dive gear.

Depending on when you go, they all do whale shark trips. It's a snorkeling trip, but everyone says it's a fantastic experience.

Pro-Dive picks people up from the hotels in the PA area. You may want to check to see if Aquanauts does the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom