Casa Mexicana info, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone stayed at the Casa Mexicana? I'm taking a trip in June and would like to know what to expect, such as how convenient it is to the pier, shore diving, and restaurants. Anything you can provide would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has information about Dive Paradise, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks!

Guba:
Has anyone stayed at the Casa Mexicana? I'm taking a trip in June and would like to know what to expect, such as how convenient it is to the pier, shore diving, and restaurants. Anything you can provide would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has information about Dive Paradise, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks!

I've not stayed there but I have gone in and looked around; it's very nice. It's in town and across the street from the water; there's no beach or shore diving there. There is a dock where dive boats can pick you up pretty close by. It is within easy walking distance of many of the local eateries.

It's a great place to stay, great breakfast buffet included. CLose to everything if you want to be near town. It's not an AI so no beaches, etc, if that's what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, it's also near Carlos & Charlies, so you might be able to hear the "whoo whoo" at night......

Great place to stay. I was there back in February. Very close to everything a diver needs (including plenty of shops for the ladies). As mentioned, it is not AI but has a great breakfast buffet. If you have not already booked your dives, you might consider Aqua Safari. They run a first class operation with some great divemasters. The shop is less than 50 yds from the stairs of the Casa Mexicana and their dock is right across the road from the shop. They will store all of your gear You can leave you room and be on the dive boat in 5 minutes. Overall makes for a great combo.

I second what DYOUNGER said. We also stayed at the Casa Mexicana during Carnaval and the people-noise was never a problem, but we also stayed on the back side of the hotel -- no ocean view and the only "noise" problem we really encountered were the rooster and peacock behind the hotel at the crack of dawn.

Otherwise, the hotel was spotless and there was always a crew doing some type of cleaning, whether it be dusting the elevators (I think they use Lemon Pledge for everything in that hotel), or sweeping the tile floors. Also, we had a cute towel animal on the bed every day when we came back from diving.

Guba:
Anything you can provide would be appreciated.
My trip report from Feb.

Was very nice, as was explained earlier there is no shore diving out front but it is in town and you can walk to most everything (bars, restaurants, shops etc.).

I stayed at Casa Mexicana and dove with Deep Exposure last month. Deep Exposure got me a discounted price at Casa Mexicana which I believe was the equivalent of about $80 per night vs. the standard $90-110 per night that they were charging. They did this in the context of a 3 day diving package. Casa Mexicana was definately nice, clean, and well located downtown. It is the nicest of the downtown hotels which saves you cab fare coming to town at night. It is about one block from Carlos and Charley's and Senor Frogs. We never had a problem with noise. There is a McDonald's and Pizza Hut one-half block away. The main dive pier is less than 2 blocks away. All the shops and the very nice central plaza are immediately available. I found the hotel much nicer than the typical Holiday Inn and the typical hotels for divers. There is free internet access with 3 terminals in the lobby. The free buffet is a full American style breakfast. The animals they made out of towels each day were very cute for the kids.
Deep Exposure is a first class dive operation that uses a 42 foot yacht for diving. It is slower and stays out all day for 2-3 dives. They serve a full lunch on a dining table on the boat. The divemaster were knowledgable. They catered to provide exemplary service and even would apply defogger to your mask for you!
I can definately recommend both the hotel and dive operator.

Stayed there last year... and dove with Aqua Safari (literally 4 doors down from the hotel). We had an oceanview room, and at night we could hear the crowd from Carlos & Charlies but after a long day exploring the island, swimming, diving... we always fell asleep without any trouble.

Breakfast buffet is great, and it decreases overall expenses if you don't stay at an all inclusive. Plenty of shops downtown, and if you ever get thirsty there is that $1 coronas bar just a 1/2-1 block down the street.

I haven't stayed there, but have been in to look around as well. Seemed like a nice hotel. Location wise I think it's pretty good, very central for going to the caleta in the morning or to town.

Our party of 6 stayed at the CM in December, love it and would go back. BlueXTsea set it up for us, with a discount. Christi at BlueXTsea picked us up across the street every morning. We were in town for a week and used a taxi exactly one time to get to a restaurant across town. We walked to everything, even a fantastic massage with Cozumel Sally.

The hotel was clean, hot water with good pressure, great A/C, english cable TV channels, and a fantastic breakfast included. When we go back we'll do the same trip over again, CM and BlueXTsea.

Back
Top Bottom