Staying in Playa, diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I will in PDC for a short time but I am very excited as the date approaches. My GF gave me a trip for Memorial Day weekend.

We will be staying in Playa del Carmen, arriving at 11am on Saturday and coming back Monday night.

I am trying to fit some dives in the schedule and still trying to decide what to do with the limited time I will have in the area.

Do dive the best of cozumel, is it possible to leave from PDC with the Dive Op, dive in cozumel and be taken back to PDC? Or do I have to go to Cozumel, meet a DIve Ops there and go diving with them from Cozumel?

Do you think I might find any dive ops doing dives on late afternoon or saturday night?

As far as sunday, I was actually thinking of doing the cenotes in dos ojos. I heard it's a oppotunity I should miss, as it's amazing.

What are your suggestions? Let's say it's YOU going to the PDC area for the first time, for just 3 days, and wanna squeeze some cool dives there.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Take the ferry from PDC. When we were there in Jan the port at PDC was closed several times due to weather. That means small boats can't get out but the wind comes from the other direction in Coz I guess because the port was open there

divebrasil:
Do dive the best of cozumel, is it possible to leave from PDC with the Dive Op, dive in cozumel and be taken back to PDC? Or do I have to go to Cozumel, meet a DIve Ops there and go diving with them from Cozumel?

No real experience with this scenario, but, some will send you there to meet another operator and others probably take you there by their boats. It's a long ride if that's the case.

Do you think I might find any dive ops doing dives on late afternoon or saturday night?

Most shops have afternoon dives starting about 1:00. Night dives are maybe sceduled one a week or by request with enough divers. Saturday night? Hmmmm doughtful.

What are your suggestions? Let's say it's YOU going to the PDC area for the first time, for just 3 days, and wanna squeeze some cool dives there.

It looks to me like you only have Sunday to dive. Max it out with four dives in PDC or Coz. You'll have to catch a 6 am ferry, though. &

I appreciate the help.

Thanks
&

Why not just take the ferry over and stay in Cozumel Sat-Mon? You could do a shore dive Saturday, or book a night dive if available. Morning dives on Sunday, then take the ferry back to the mainland on Monday and head to Cancun to catch your flight home.

Otherwise, if you are staying in PDC and only have 2 nights, and one full day, I would get to Hidden Worlds for a cenote dive (you can do one tank, or if you girlfriend doesn't dive you can do a snorkel tour with her) and just do a couple reef dives on the PDC side. Most shops in PDC, Aventuras, and Akumal go out for 3 single tank dives with times around 9a, 11:30am and 2pm.

scubawife:
Why not just take the ferry over and stay in Cozumel Sat-Mon? You could do a shore dive Saturday, or book a night dive if available.

Are ther hotels on Coz that offer unlimited shore diving from their beach? Do you have to pay for a package, or can you just book a couple of nights? I normally stay in PDC, but would love to stay on Coz for a couple of nights and be able to dive out front.

Scubydoobydoo:
Tank Ha (www.tankha.com) goes directly from PDCto Cozumel on their boat - Good operation

Best hotel ever!! THe owners are the best, well the ones that used to own in before 2000 I guess, havn't been since they have been renting it to these new guys.

ffde31:
scubawife:
Why not just take the ferry over and stay in Cozumel Sat-Mon? You could do a shore dive Saturday, or book a night dive if available.

Are ther hotels on Coz that offer unlimited shore diving from their beach? Do you have to pay for a package, or can you just book a couple of nights? I normally stay in PDC, but would love to stay on Coz for a couple of nights and be able to dive out front.

If you're going to stay on Coz, you'll want to dive the sites only accessible by boat. Unlimited shore diving will quickly lose its appeal, and you'll miss the best diving.

yak:
ffde31:
If you're going to stay on Coz, you'll want to dive the sites only accessible by boat. Unlimited shore diving will quickly lose its appeal, and you'll miss the best diving.

He was arriving around 11am Saturday into Cancun, so I thought a shore dive or boat night dive Sat then boat dives Sunday. By the time they got to Coz on Saturday it would be too late for a boat.

I haven't done any shore diving in Cozumel and don't intend to. I agree that the best dive sites are accessible by boat.

Wierd, I KNOW I posted a response to this same question a few weeks ago...can't find it. Did this threead get lost in one of the crashes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom