My Coz Trip, April 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been back from Coz for about 10 days now, so it is time to reflect on what I saw.

The further south you go, the better the reefs will look. Columbia, including the shallows looked nice, so did Palancar. Yucab is a disaster and Tormentos is only slightly better. Santa Rosa is not as lush as before. San Franciso wall is OK. Soft coral is scarce everywhere.

Trumpet fish and aerohead crabs were scarce. Turtles were everywhere. On several dives we observed spotted eagle rays feeding in the sand. It was probably the longest view that I have ever had of one of these shy creatures.

Because there is less cover fish are easier to spot. The Cozumel Splendid toad fish was observed on several dives. There were many trigger fish, trunk fish, parrot fish, angels, snappers and so on. Big groupers were scarce. There were a few nurse sharks. Lobsters were way out in the open during the day.

We stayed at Casa Mexicana. It is in town and gorgeous. Dive operator was Dive with Martin. He was out of town due to his wife being seriously ill and in the hospital in Merida. His boats are in great shape and have tons of room with a maximum of 8 divers aboard. Usually we had 5 or 6. As usual I had to whip the DM into shape to get longer bottom times. A few pesos helped ease his pain.

A lot of the restaurants are going broke. An increasing proportion of people visiting the island are opting for meal plans at their hotels.

Its still worth the visit. Especially for Houstonians, who are less than 2 hours flying time away.

I was there in April too and the number of cruise ships seem to be increasing. All of my favorite restaurants were open including The French Quarter, which was closed in January for repairs.

I think Punta Sur has been fundamentally changed in ways I don't like. Columbia and Palancar look pretty good. Columbia shallows has never been that appealing to me. Tormentos looks ragged, but I saw some of the largest parrotfish I've ever seen there this time. January was the month for eagle rays. Check my gallery in my sig.

Casa Mexicana is very nice. I've stayed there 5 times, but didn't this trip.

Hey Leadweight,

I dove with Dive with Martin April 16th - 27th. I wonder if we met and didn't know it? Do you remember anyone named Jay? If so, that's me. My buddy Brian was there too.

Hmm. That's an interesting observation. Certainly one sees a certain amount of restaurant turnover anywhere you go - it's the nature of the business. It would be interesting if Scubawife or anyone else with tourism/hospitality industry creds could substantiate that this can be chalked up to greater use of hotel meal plans.

While I'd rather poke needles in my eyes than stick to a diet of hotel buffets, I can understand why a family travelling with a bunch of kids of varying ages would not be anxious to scavange 3 meals a day in town for the hungry sparrows, I doubt that this type of traveller ever did head into town for their meals on any but the rarest of occasions.

I stay and eat in town and frequent places favoured by the locals, meaning they are east of 15th (and more likely, east of 30th and pushing 60th). They always seem full - but maybe because they aren't dependent on the AI or cruise crowd.

leadweight:
A lot of the restaurants are going broke. An increasing proportion of people visiting the island are opting for meal plans at their hotels.

I seldom see kids in Cozumel, even when the Disney cruist ship is in port. I only stayed at an AI once, but didn't see kids then either. I think the taxi fares have gone up a bit. It used to be $6 for a ride to town. How much today?

I'm trying to think of a single Cozumel restaurant that has remained closed since Wilma and I can't come up with even one. Oops, Temptations. There's one.

Present taxi rates have been in effect since January 1, 2002. Shhhh! Don't tell the taxi union. The fare "into town" depends on where you start.

Thanks for the report, Leadweight. Even though I live here, I always like to see Cozumel through other eyes!

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

We paid $4-$5 for the taxi ride from the Casa Del Mar to the plaza where Senor Frog's is.

A buddy and I were in Senor Frog's, having our usual one-gallon beers, and these kids from one of the cruise ships came up and were yelling, "Chug it! Chug it!" They kept on, until I said, "Get out of here boy, before I pop your head like a zit."

Damn kids...

I thought the Casa Del Mar was closer to town (north?). We paid only $2.50 from Villa Aldora also in the north. It helps to have good legs when you're flagging down a cab. :laughing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom