Trip Report full o kudos, and because I told Frank I would write one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The wonderful land of COZ as experienced by Pamela, April 25-May 1st 2006....

For our second vacation to Coz we...

rented a small house thru Cozumel Vacation Rentals

dove 4 days with Christ's Blu XT Sea

and 1 day with Hernan (who doesn't want Christi to be mad at him for taking us as he considered us her customers, but because we didn't book with her for Sunday early on, she couldn't accomodate us at the last minute, so we FORCED Hernan, against his better judgement, to take us out instead)

rented a car at a very good price thru an undisclosed agency

had an EXCELLENT time!:D :D :D

Upon arriving we were curious to see what would happen with our car rental, as I had heard the rental guys cannot pick up at the airport, yet they told us they would be there. Sure enough, after walking the time share gauntlet and making it out the door, there was a discrete fellow waiting by the curb looking for someone looking for him. When he spotted us he briefly flashed his sign, said loudly he was unauthorized to pick us up, then slipped us the keys and pointed to the car parked not 20 ft away.

We were a bit worried when we drove up to our little casita on avenida 20, as the neighborhood still had alot of storm damage and the casita was muy muy chica! However, as soon as we entered the gate and came into the house, we were once again happy, because the place was immaculate and cute as could be, with every ammenity you could ever want, AC, TV, extensivelu stocked kitchen, a king bed that was actually comfortable, even beer in the fridge!!! We were absolutely too comfortable there and I probably shouldn't even be telling you about it because we want to rent it again next time!!! We'll never go back to a hotel if we can help it.

Christi's operation is just the best. So far superior to the op we used on our first trip in January that they can't even be compared. Her crew of merry men are such fun and so attentive! The boat (Bandito II) was so nice and so fast, and Adan the captain kept the disco going with a fun music selection. One of the many things I liked about Christi is, even though she has nice big boats, she won't send more than 6 divers out at a time, even if you are waving money in her face!!!!

I told Christi that I wanted to get "lessons" (a nebulous term at best) so she sent us out with Javier as a private Dive Master. He is a wonderful, patient teacher, who broke concepts down into easy digestable bites, and watched and corrected our diving form. For our first dive he took us in shallower, manageable water to correct our weighting, buoyancy and form, then he took is into ripping current so we'd learn to go with the current and not fight it. He is an elegant, well spoken, intensely handsome man who wears his wetsuit like an Armani. I would recommend him to any new diver; it's well worth the extra cost for a private DM to improve your skills!!!!

We also had a great time diving with Hernan, who runs a the best dive shop in Coz, located at calle 5 and avenida 15. We bought equipment from him at VERY fair prices; my Sherwood Luna BCD was lower priced than anything I could find on the internet, plus there's no tax!!! We forced him to take us out on Sunday and what fun we had! His boat doubles as a fishing boat and is big and fast. He is very attentive and explains things carefully. And, he packs a BIG OL' lunch!!! We had sandwiches, several kinds of home made dip and chips, fruit, cake...we were practically able to remove some weight for our second dive!

It was too hot to eat while we were there; we mostly did groceries from Chedra-wey and when we did venture out it was mostly to the hood, up to Avenida 30th for tacos and local food. The best thing I ate the whole trip was chili rellenos from La Parilla Mission on 30th. While at La Mission with new best diving buddies, Fisherman Frank forced a promise that I would write a trip report, so please send all complaints to him in care of scubaboard.

Pamela:wink:

Haha! Thanks Pamela....I would NEVER be mad at Hernan and I'm glad you were able to get out on Sunday! He's a great guy and he DOES have a great equipment selection with very fair prices! I purchase all of my rental gear from him as well as my tanks.

For those interested, the name of his shop is the Sherwood Depot, and as Pamela said it's on Av. 15 between Calle 5 and Calle 7 on the right hand side (if traveling the correct direction on this street, which is south) He carries BCD's, regulators, wetsuits, masks, fins, computers, accessories, replacement parts, gear bags, etc. He also offers full service on equipment for very reasonable prices. He carries, Sherwood, Genesis, and Akona.

We'll see you next time!

Christi and Pamela,

What a small world...we dove with Hernan for a week in 2004. He works closely with C & N Divers in Mount Dora, FL for booking dive trips and in getting some of the gear.

We had a great time with him. He always brought lunch for our group for the long surface stops. I'm glad to hear he survived Wilma's fury.

Hi Pamela,
Thanks for the honorable mention in your trip report! I couldn't have said kinder words about Christie's operation. All of her employee could not have been nicer and more attentive to safety. Sherrie and I enjoyed getting together and having drinks and wished we could have spent more time getting to know you. Hope to see you on another trip and keep diving!

Frank

Well Frank...

it's the least I could do since you were the only one who lectured me about that uncontrolled acsent I did! If you hadn't reamed me about it, I wouldn't have known what a big deal it was, and didn't you insist I carry more weight on the next dive?

When are ya'll goin to Coz next time? Maybe January for us. Between then, it's Indonesia in June and if that don't kill us, Belize in October.

Happy bubble trails!
Pamela

Hi Pamela.
Sorry if it seemed like I scolded you but for your safety's sake, it was important. You got your bouyancy down after you added the weight, so I'm glad it was of some help.

Next trip up in an Agressor trip to Grand Cayman in July and hopefull a Bahamas trip in the fall. I like a trip every 3-4 months if I can get away from work. By the time we meet up next, you'll probably be a pretty advanced diver after a trip to Indonesia ! Stay in touch and maybe we can meet up again in January.

Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom