Trip Report May 3-7 (part 1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, the dust is settling from my first diving trip to Coz (if that’s possible with all the rain we’ve been having here in the Northeast), so I’ll try to capture the highlights of our trip in this long report. Sorry to say the pictures are all above sea level - no camera housing yet.

My buddy Jim and I flew into Cancun on May 3rd, breezed through immigration, got our bags quickly and green-lighted our way to our man from Cancun Valet. A quick cerveza stop at 7-11 and we were in Playa in no time. Killed an hour at the little round beach bar near the ticket office, and finally arrived in Coz at about 3:45.

A quick taxi to the Barracuda, check in, and followed the helpful sign to room 205.
113_1388.jpg

The room was clean and neat, nothing fancy, with a balcony overlooking the pool and ocean.
113_1370.jpg

30 minutes after the ferry dropped us we were sitting at the swim-up bar in the new pool. The pool area is new and it's very nice.
113_1367.jpg

the restaurant has decent food, and the waitresses are friendly
114_1403.jpg

They just installed a free wifi hub behind the bar for those folks who can’t leave the laptop behind (I had no problem closing mine up for a while). They even had Johnny Damon behind the bar (Jimmy).
113_1396.jpg

Jeremy from Living Underwater stopped by at 6:30 to pick up our gear and brief us on the next day’s diving. We discussed our diving abilities and history and Jim and I decided to dive with the advanced boat vs what Jeremy decribed as a “semi-advanced” boat. On our way out, we met Jeremy’s wife and son (I’m awful about remembering names), but what a nice family he has.

The next day, we strolled outside to the Barracuda pier at 7:45
113_1382.jpg

and hopped on one of the two small fast boats that LU uses.
113_1393.jpg

LU uses 120cf LP steel tanks, which were a bit awkward when donning our kits, but once in the water we forgot they were there. You did need to get some weight up high to keep your trim level, which I did after the first couple of dives.

Our first dive with the 3 other divers on the boat was Tunich. We were briefed that the max depth was 150 feet (which, having donned my beanie, I misinterpreted as 115 feet ). As we quickly descended the wall, I noticed that no one besides me was paying attention to the max depth. As I followed the group deeper, my computer beeped as I passed 130 feet. Jim and I stopped at 138 feet, and hovered a bit above the group (instead of hugging the wall at that depth), which caused us to fight the strong current a bit to keep from passing the group. We slowly ascended, and when we were down to about 700 lbs, I shot my SMB, we did our safety stop, and Jim and I ended our dive in just 41 minutes! The reef itself was in nice shape (although I have no previous Coz dives to compare it to), and we really enjoyed the dive. While waiting for the other divers to return, Jim and I had a long discussion about advanced vs. semi-advanced:wink: , currents, trim, relaxation, and asking more questions during the next briefing. Our average depth was 66 feet for the dive, I don’t want to calculate our average air consumption. The other air sippers had a 70 minute dive waiting for their computers to clear.

After a 2 hour SI including lunch at San Francisco beach, our second dive was San Francisco, Max depth 89, avg 42, 87 minutes, EAN32. The current was less ripping here, it was another beautiful dive, and we all exited the water within a couple minutes of each other.

We switched boats at the marina, had pork sandwiches at the little shack there, and hooked up with Mike and Marie from the other boat for the third dive on Paradise. We took our time, exploring all the macro life in the coral heads. Jeremy was great in finding things like pipefish, splendid toads, and other critters. Max depth was 56, avg 38, 89 minutes, EAN32.

We had a great dinner at Casa Denis, a beer by the pool, and called it a night.

On day 2 we dove with Jeremy’s other divemaster, Monster, along with another couple. They didn’t have a preference, and since Jim and I were diving EAN32, I chose Palancar Caves for our first dive. Wow, what an amazing place! Cool swim-through’s and canyons, and at one point the white sand cascading down though the corals over the wall reminded me of skiing a snow-covered chute. We saw spotted eagles in the sand, and had a nice close encounter with a turtle who didn’t mind as we hung out a couple feet from him as he munched. Monster kind of hung out ahead for most of the dive, we just looked over the coral heads for his bubbles to see which direction he was going. He did launch his SBM without asking any of us how much air we had, and our dive ended at 62 minutes, max depth 87.

We had lunch at Palancar beach, and our second dive was Dalila, Max depth 50, 74 minutes, EAN36. Monster again ended our dive for us. I did mention to Jeremy that Monster could have done a better job of extending the dive times or at least asking us how much air we had before shooting the SMB (unless he was using his 95 cf of air faster than us with our 120's, which didn't seem likely).

Our third dive was a night dive, again with Mike and Marie, with Jeremy leading the dive. We dove Paradise, max 42, avg 34, 89 minutes, EAN 36. We saw a few octopus, huge lobsters, splendid toads, snake eels, and other critters. If you looked up, you could see the phosphorescence in the water as your bubbles rose. It was an awesome dive.

We ate at the hotel bar, relaxed by the pool for a bit (in my new Red Sox beanie)
113_1387.jpg

and called it an early night.
114_1416.jpg

Our third day was Jeremy, Jim and I on the boat. We decided on Columbia deep. Our plan was to cruise across the flats, then drop onto the wall, with a max depth of 150. I told Jeremy we didn’t need to push that envelope, and 130-ish would be fine.

We cruised over the flats at about 60 feet, watching a spotted eagle being cleaned in the sand. We then dropped over the wall to about 130 feet, and hung out in front of a cave, coaxing a nurse shark out of the hole with our lights. As we drifted down to 138 feet, I noticed my computer had quickly jumped from about 3 minutues of NDL time into deco! (It’s a very conservative Vyper) It started with 7 minutes (ascent time, ceiling time, mandatory SS, 3 min SS, and surface ascent time). I still had about 2000 lbs of air in my 120, so I wasn’t that concerned, but I signaled Jeremy and he looked at the time on my computer which had jumped to 10 minutes, and signaled OK. We did a slow ascent over the rest of the dive, and I watched the obligation time drop to 0 at around 30 feet. We still had another 20 minutes of diving after that. Our max depth was 138 feet, avg 53, 70 minutes. On the surface, Jeremy told me he only had a 3 minute obligation on his computer, and Jim’s was similar.

We did our SI on the boat, and after about an hour we dropped onto Palancar Garden. We saw 3 eagles on this dive, and had a great dive. After 34 minutes I was at 75 feet and watched a similar occurrence take place, my NDL time dropped quickly into deco time. This time I kept it to 7 minutes. Our max was 76 feet, avg 40, for 81 minutes, on EAN32. After the dive I noticed our SI was only 44 minutes, which we definitely should have extended longer - my bad. (I have ordered the PC interface kit for my computer so I can download and study my profiles to learn more from this experience, so my next deco dives are not unplanned).

Our next SI (1:51) was lunch at the beach next to the Iberostar, where I tried to capture Jeremy smoking a butt but he was too quick for me.
113_1394.jpg

We followed lunch with a dive on Paseo de Cedral, another beautiful dive. Max depth 59, avg 45, 71 minutes, EAN32.

We dined at Utates that night,
114_1412.jpg

had the pozole
114_1411.jpg

and some tacos, which were excellent.

Enjoyed a few oxymorons on the way home:
113_1378.jpg

It was difficult to even consider a trip down to Caribe Blu to look for Sharky and Gordon, knowing the bar there was closed and the Barracuda’s was open til 1:00, and I was so beat I just wanted to crash. (Let me know if you guys were there with your coolers).

Next morning we checked out, grabbed breakfast near the ferry dock, and jumped on the ferry to meet Dennis from Diablo Divers in PDC. We picked up another couple, stopped at the tank fill center
114_1430.jpg

and headed to Dos Ojos for a couple of cenote dives.

After the briefing, our first dive was the Barbie line max 25, 50 minutes.
Second dive was to the batcave max 33, 55 minutes. Dennis did a nice job of making it look like I hadn’t been there before by throwing in a couple of loops off the line, as well as a trip to the green room. He also did a great job describing how the cenotes were formed both from a historical as well as a geological perspective. In the 5 separate dive days I've had to various cenotes, he was by far the best guide I've had, and our bottom times were the longest.

We finished in PDC with a snack and a couple of these on the beach at Playa Maya
114_1431.jpg

Said goodbye to Dennis (on the right)
114_1435a.jpg

And wandered down the beach and had a couple more of these
114_1437.jpg

On the way to dinner, Jim tried to make some time with the local ladies:
114_1449.jpg

They were some cold beeatches.

We ate at a hole in the wall, and it didn’t take long before I wanted to crash, ending the more interesting part of the trip.

The airport was a mess
114_1452.jpg

Lucky for us I'm a silver medallion on Delta and we didn't have to wait in this line (it stretched beyond the pillar near the monitors on the top left of the picture).

I definitely enjoyed diving with Jeremy, his attentive crew, dry towels, fruits and snacks, handling your gear for you at night, and a very personal, non-cattle boat experience.

Now to scheme on how soon we can get back there.

Glad you had a good trip. We also dive with Jeremy in Coz and use Dennis for cenotes. We've dived with other guides but I have to agree that he is the best! If you use him again get him to take you to Carwash and Gran Cenote or Taj. Nice cenote dives. A couple trips a year we split the time between Cozumel and Akumal.

The Baracuda looks good. Any photos of the rooms?

Ok, I am ready to go NOW!!!!! I'm reading the Nitrox book next week. I picked up my new reg and new wetsuit a couple weeks ago. 15 days and counting....

Nice to see Alfa has a canopy. December and February she was shadeless. Hmmm, 150ft? Yeah, I'll be heading to the "semi-advanced" boat if there are two boats while I'm there. Past 120-130 and I'm getting out of my comfort zone.

Great report "YAK!" I'm glad you enjoyed your first trip to Cozumel and thanks to Jeremy and Dennis...you'll be back to visit our little paradise!

Great trip report and great pics!!! Would love to see inside the rooms at the hotel as well!

I've been wondering about the Barracuda. Your report has helped me decide on lodging. We are going to be in Coz from Oct 27th through Nov 8th. Very excited!!

I almost forgot - I used Safe Sea every day, and I still had new stings appearing each morning from the previous day's dives. Mostly neck and hands, and one on my lip. Must be my body chemistry, because no one else had any.

I also developed small red blotches around my hips and sides, definitely not jelly stings.

Jim had some issues with ear pain on the flight home and just told me that his doctor found what looks like a bite or sting in his ear which has caused an infection.

hmmmmm....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom