Best resort/dive op combo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcwdad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I (Coz newbies going June 18-23) would appreciate any advice on right combo of Cozumel resort and dive operator. With 2 small kids we only get dive vacations every 3 years (and this is our 10 yr anniversary), so while utilitarian dive-oriented hotels are normally great, this time we're looking for a little pampering on land.

Must haves = convenient boat access, very quiet room, reasonably quiet grounds (relaxing vs. "party" atmosphere), ocean view room with somewhat private balcony, decent air conditioning, breakfast buffet, place to read book and be served drinks on beach in shade :) Nice-to-haves = on premises or short walk to good restaurants, American movies in room (some gel time), massage. AI is fine but not a must.

Should I avoid north side (longer rides to best sites?)

Seems best choices within short taxi to downtown are El Cid or Scuba Club--any thoughts on which is better, or did I miss any options that meet criteria above?

Occidental hotels (Grand, Allegro) sound nice but do best dive ops pick up from there, and are they enough nicer to be worth the longer taxi or getting a car?

Also want a great dive op that picks up at or very near our resort/hotel. Wish list includes fast cattle-less boats, AL100's, reliable, good briefings, friendly DMs, allow us to dive our computers, gear rinse/store, etc. Blue XT Sea sounds great, as does Aquasafari.

And finally, any particular must-see dive sites, or just totally dependent on what fish we haven't seen yet or who is seeing what where that week? Any recommended online resource (other than posted trip reports) to read up on site options? Or best to just let dive op do the choosing for us?

Gracias!

Look on a site called 'TripAdvisor.com'.

I was thinking Allegro until I read lots of posts about food poisoning there.

Villablanca is supposed to be quiet and have good snorkeling off it's 'beach'. VB is not an all inclusive type place. TA has lots of posts about it. If memory serves, Papa Hogs and Dive Paradise are dive ops across the street from Villablanca.

The LDS around here use FunJet packages to Villablanca and to Hotel Cozumel. HC is an AI place.

Fiesta Americana is well thought of by the posters on TA. FA is an AI place. Some say it is quiet, but probably not like VB.

There is good snorkeling and beach diving at Corona Beach and Xua Ha. Palancar Beach has more sand. Corona Beach is supposed to be much like Chankanaab but with free entry, $2 beer instead of $10 beer and $7 hamburgers instead of $20. Don't know if those prices are right.

Anyway, Trip Advisor has a lot of info.

My husband and I stayed at Occidental Grand last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. We dove with Blue XT~Sea (which I highly recommend) and they picked us up every day from our hotel (which is really nice since the dive sites are close by). The only downside was the cost of cab fare into town. The rooms aren't oceanfront though.

We're going to Cozumel in June and we'll be staying at El Cantil (and diving with Blue XT~Sea), which does have oceanfront rooms and is closer to town. I've never stayed there before, so I can't really comment on it yet, but it looks really nice on their website.

It's not cheap, but if you want something a bit more luxurious but still close to town , check out the Cozumel Palace. www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/CozumelPalace/Index.asp Jacuzzi in your room www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/CozumelPalace/Accom.asp, 24 hr room service, and a dock so any dive operator you decide on can pick you up. Even though they do have a kids club, this is more of an adult oriented property.

El Cid had some good reopening specials on their web site a couple weeks ago. Not sure if the rates would apply for the later part of June. The hotel has done lots of renovations post-Wilma and only recently reopened.

I don't think Villablanca would be a good choice. I liked the ocean view suite I had there in Feb, and the property is quiet and relaxing but there is no beach or waterfront area, just a small pool, and the hotel is pretty basic. Hotel Cozumel has a great pool area and you can get an ocean view room. Fiesta Americana is a great location for diving and the deluxe oceanview rooms are nice with balcony. The pool area gets pretty loud in the afternoons with bingo, music and a variety of pool games.

The El Cozumelino, Melia Cozumel and Playa Azul have nice beaches. They are north of town though so unless you used the dive shop at the El Coz I don't think you would get anyone to pick you up there. You'd have to either go to town or the Caleta to meet your dive boat.

Must haves:
convenient boat access:

Cozumel Palace
Hotel Cozumel
Caribe Blu
Casa del Mar
El Cid
Fiesta Americana
Allegro
Occidental Grand

Must haves:

very quiet room, reasonably quiet grounds (relaxing vs. "party" atmosphere), ocean view room with somewhat private balcony, decent air conditioning, breakfast buffet, place to read book and be served drinks on beach in shade :) :

Casa Mexicana - no beach, in town but very nice
Cozumel Palace - meets all of the above
Scuba Club - all-inclusive dining and diving, no beach...but hammock area on the water's edge
Caribe Blu (relaxing atmosphere, but many complain of street noise)
El Cid (?? - not sure about views/balconies)
Fiesta Americana (pool side = party atmosphere, ocean side = relaxing manmade beach area)
Reef Club - have SOME ocean view rooms with balconies, pier not rebuilt yet
Allegro - no ocean view with balcony, party atmosphere, far from town
Occidental Grand - no ocean view, far from town
Iberostar - convenient pier access inconsistent, no ocean view, FAR from town and limits your reef selection due to FAR south location

Nice-to-haves:
on premises or short walk to good restaurants, American movies in room (some gel time), massage. AI is fine but not a must.

Cozumel Palace
Casa Mexicana
Hotel Cozumel

Will have to take a taxi to catch the boat...to either downtown or Caleta depending which operator you choose

Seems best choices within short taxi to downtown are El Cid or Scuba Club--any thoughts on which is better, or did I miss any options that meet criteria above?

Occidental hotels (Grand, Allegro) sound nice but do best dive ops pick up from there, and are they enough nicer to be worth the longer taxi or getting a car? Long taxi ride to town, far south locations actually limits you to southern only dive sites inmost cases

Also want a great dive op that picks up at or very near our resort/hotel. Wish list includes fast cattle-less boats, AL100's, reliable, good briefings, friendly DMs, allow us to dive our computers, gear rinse/store, etc. Blue XT Sea sounds great, as does Aquasafari.
Shops that would meet the above wish list are:
Liquid Blue (steel tanks)
Living Underwater (steel tanks)
Blue XT~Sea (AL 100's)
Aldora (steel tanks)
Bottom Time (everything but the larger tanks)

Don't mistake full service gear service with onsite lockers or just simple gear storage. The above ops provide full gear service.

And finally, any particular must-see dive sites, or just totally dependent on what fish we haven't seen yet or who is seeing what where that week? Any recommended online resource (other than posted trip reports) to read up on site options? Or best to just let dive op do the choosing for us?
As long as you choose one of the more personalized ops, you will have alot of say in which dive sites you go to. Some of the larger resort type shops have set sites on set days with set profiles. The smaller ops typically select dive sites each day on the boat as a group...and you will (should) go somewhere different everyday.

AS you see, none of the hotels have everything on your must-have list, but I hope that this gives you enough information to decide what's more important to you.

Looks like Cozumel Palace would be your best bet if in your budget. It is a REALLY nice place and would be a great place to spend your once in every few years vacation :)

Is Cozumel Palace new or used to have a different name ? Can't keep track anymore. Several hotels have changed names over the years. Plaza Las Glorias, Brisas, etc..

ronrosa:
Is Cozumel Palace new or used to have a different name ? Can't keep track anymore. Several hotels have changed names over the years. Plaza Las Glorias, Brisas, etc..

It's the old Plaza Las Glorias, but it was redone and much more upscale then Las Glorias was.

My wife and I stay at the Coral Princess. It is on the north side of town, but with an on-site dive op (Pepe Scuba). Small, fast boats that pick up on site. It takes about 10 minutes to pass the southern resorts, so this means maybe an additional 20 minutes per trip. I like the dive op and DMs, but only AL80s that I know of, and you rinse/store your own gear. The DMs ask the divers where to go, so you just need to work it out with the other divers (8 max per boat)

Nice rooms with good A/C, fairly quiet (a lot of families, so the noise is typically not party noise, but kid noise), rooms with either ocean or jungle views, multiroom (1-3 BR) suites available with kitchens (we have kids so it is nice for privacy and to eat in sometimes), restaurant on-site but no buffet, short cab ride ($3) or nice walk (maybe a mile or so) to town, massage on-site, there is TV in the room but I don't watch it so I am not sure about the programming.

PM me if ou want any more info.

kcwdad:
My wife and I (Coz newbies going June 18-23) would appreciate any advice on right combo of Cozumel resort and dive operator. With 2 small kids we only get dive vacations every 3 years (and this is our 10 yr anniversary), so while utilitarian dive-oriented hotels are normally great, this time we're looking for a little pampering on land.

Must haves = convenient boat access, very quiet room, reasonably quiet grounds (relaxing vs. "party" atmosphere), ocean view room with somewhat private balcony, decent air conditioning, breakfast buffet, place to read book and be served drinks on beach in shade :) Nice-to-haves = on premises or short walk to good restaurants, American movies in room (some gel time), massage. AI is fine but not a must.

Occidental hotels (Grand, Allegro) sound nice but do best dive ops pick up from there, and are they enough nicer to be worth the longer taxi or getting a car?

Gracias!

Scuba club is my overall favorite but will not meet your criteria. No TV's in room, you must use inhouse dive op with big, slow boats and no large tanks.

I think you want Cozumel Palace (not cheap) and an Op like Blue XT. Give up the ocean view from the room requirement and the Grand ($$$) or the Allegro ($$) are good candidates. The Grand is really upscale with great food, beautiful rooms and grounds, great relaxing beach and 2 pools.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom