Dive op recommendation for Wed. Aug. 30 cruise stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.

Could you give me recommendations on a 2-tank guided boat dive, I'm the only diver. We're arriving on Carnival Miracle on Wed. Aug. 30/06, 8am-5pm local time. If it's suitable my wife can join as a snorkler, if not she can do something else (separate snorkeling or just enjoy beach/touring)

An overview of Coz shows 130+ dive ops, which is great, but overwhelming for a new diver. I'm AOW+Nitrox+DPV certified. Had dove in Ocho Rios (not great), Cuba (walls great at Bay of Pigs), Oahu (good), Kona (really good). Ideally the dive op can pickup and drop off near the cruise terminal. Oh, if they offer 100' tank that'll be good (I'm an air hog).

I see some of the comments on this board not particularly welcoming cruise ships, but cruising is one way I get to a taste of diving in Coz, Cayman, Belize and Costa Maya in a 7-day trip. It can help me plan for future vacations.

Thanks a lot.

Torontonian:
Hi.

Could you give me recommendations on a 2-tank guided boat dive, I'm the only diver. We're arriving on Carnival Miracle on Wed. Aug. 30/06, 8am-5pm local time. If it's suitable my wife can join as a snorkler, if not she can do something else (separate snorkeling or just enjoy beach/touring)

An overview of Coz shows 130+ dive ops, which is great, but overwhelming for a new diver. I'm AOW+Nitrox+DPV certified. Had dove in Ocho Rios (not great), Cuba (walls great at Bay of Pigs), Oahu (good), Kona (really good). Ideally the dive op can pickup and drop off near the cruise terminal. Oh, if they offer 100' tank that'll be good (I'm an air hog).

I see some of the comments on this board not particularly welcoming cruise ships, but cruising is one way I get to a taste of diving in Coz, Cayman, Belize and Costa Maya in a 7-day trip. It can help me plan for future vacations.

Thanks a lot.

Try :

Blue XT Sea (Christi) www.bluextseadiving.com (there now diving with her)
also Living Underwater (Raul)

Jay

Also Deep Blue does a great job, IMO. Small fast boats. Sandro was our DM last week, great guy!

I don't think Living Underwater will work for cruise passengers. Jeremy usually is on his way by 8am.

There have been lots of cruise passenger divers who have posted that Alison has worked out well for them. divewithalison.com

The trick will be finding a dive op that will wait until you can get off the ship. Most seem to depart around 8:30, so you wouldn't make it off in time. To the best of my knowledge, they're still tendering in Cozumel. I'd suggest contacting Christi at BlueXT~Sea. Others on the board have also mentioned that Alison will work with your schedule.

I would suggest going to www.cruisecritic.com, and look for a "roll call" thread for your ship/sail date. That's how I hooked up with several divers who were going to be on our ship. If you can get a group of 6-8 divers, it may be easier to find a dive op to accomodate you. Besides, it's great to already know some people who will be on your cruise before you get there. And, divers, no less!

We generally use the ship's excursions. They are a lot more expensive than dealing directly with a dive shop, but I look at it as insurance. A ship will wait for any passengers that are delayed, IF you are on an excursion booked through them. If you go off on your own, you have to find your way to the next port if you don't get back in time. What could happen? As unlikely as it may seem, the dive boat could break down, a diver could go missing, medical emergency, etc. If you book your diving, or other excursions, yourself, I would recommend bringing your passports and a credit card with you; just in case.

We were on a cruise in February that stopped in Belize, Costa Maya, Playa del Carmen, and Cozumel. The only place we didn't use the ship's dive excursion was in PDC, because they cancelled Grand Cayman and went to PDC instead. We had 6 divers, so Tank-Ha accomodated us, and waited until we got to their shop. There was one other couple who joined us, for a total of 8 divers on a boat that could easily handle 12 or more.

Whatever you do, have a great cruise!

I have checked around and found that the local dive ops do not cater much to the cruise lines, maybe unless they are the ones who contract the ship excursions. It is reasonable since the ship has a schedule and will not change it for anything except their own obligatory activities. Christi was very courteous with me as I was asking the same questions as you, but said it was just something that normally doesn't coincide, the cruise and dive op schedules. My wife doesn't dive, so we choose the cruise for now and I will be participating in the ship's diving excursion. Since I am going in August, I will be unable to let you know. Maybe you could let me know :wink:

Wait you are going after me, by about 4 days. I will try to let you know! :D

Excellent advise as always from the members of Scubaboard; nyprrthd certainly sent me in the right direction ... thanks!

Good luck,
Randy

rdharbis1:
Excellent advise as always from the members of Scubaboard; nyprrthd certainly sent me in the right direction ... thanks!
De nada! Practicing my Spanish for our trip to Cozumel in 21 days, 11 hours!

It's true most dive ops do not cater to cruisers. That's understandable. Most dive ops go out 7:30-8:30am. My ship is the first of 5 that day, and we arrive at 8am. We have a chance but the rest won't make it for morning dives, so need to go thru ship, private, or afternoon dives. In other ports (Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya) there are several choices with suitable time because we get there earlier 6-7am, but Cayman is the tough one as our ship gets in 8am and may still tender in.

Christi (BlueXT) and Jeremy (LU) goes out early, so unsuitable. I'm looking into others.

We do have a CC roll call, and there's one possible diver. Maybe more later. I have so far had good luck staying away from the ship's excursions. Saved lots of time and money, but most of all get much better service. (Yes saved time, no need to line up in big groups waiting for big bus, etc. even if we get to shore later) But I understand there is the comfort factor in paying more to book thru the cruise.

Thanks for the info. Please keep the advise coming.

jpomerantz:
Try :

Blue XT Sea (Christi) www.bluextseadiving.com (there now diving with her)
also Living Underwater (Raul)

Jay

Jay!
What the heck are you doing plinking on a computer when you should be diving???
Hope you're having a blast.
Give Christi (and crew) our best.
Craig & Jane-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom