Caribe Blu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianandcat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going to caribe blu june 15. First time in coz! Going to dive with blu angel. any advice for newbs??????????????

my first dives were with them too, last week.

the rooms are nice and clean, dive operation very friendly.

when i was there, i did a few shore dives the day before i went out on the boats. it gave me the chance to get used to the equipment and the current. first shore dive we jumped in and swam against the current, which was pretty taxing. 2nd dive we walked up half a mile on the beach, then jumped in and let the current take us back to the hotel.

have fun!!

I have stayed at Caribe Blue twice and dove with Blue Angel both trips. No complaints with either operation. The small restaurant over BA is a nice place for breakfast and lunch. Fresh squeezed OJ in the morning. Great way to start. Have a great trip!

Hi BrianandCat, I will be posting a report upon my return which will include a bit about Caribe Blu. I am presently on Cozumel, staying at the Summer Place INN. DH, family and I have stayed at the Caribe Blu twice before. We will be moving over to the Caribe Blu to finish up our vacation there and I will check out any new developments. In the meantime, search these boards, check out www.cozumelmycozumel.com another great source of info, and ask questions. My full report should be posted before you leave. In the meantime, some Caribe Blu specific's...Basic service, clean rooms, clean pool, hammocks (I believe they have been returned post Wilma), GREAT VIEWS and a dedicated dive pier. Now the BIG Bonus...NO time share involvement, not a hotspot for the public and all of the amenities I mentioned before...(Basic service, clean rooms, clean pool and hammocks, VIEWS and dive pier). You can flag down a taxi very easily in front of the hotel. Just walk out and wave one down. We usually walk across the street and get one going in the north direction so they don't have to turn around. But, the cab drivers really don't care one way or the other. It costs around $4.00 into town if I remember correctly, per cab, per trip. Make sure to have the correct amount on you. We ususally stop by the Chedraui before going back to the hotel for any provisions. Ask the folks upon check in at Caribe Blu for a fridge. You get one if it is available, otherwise, you are waitlisted....remember...tiempo Mexicana, it's all part of the vacation !!! :) Have a great time for you first visit to Cozumel and I am looking forward to your report. Sue

Thanks for the tips. Does Blue Angel let you dive to your computer limits? I'm not an air hog don't want to be back on the boat to soon.

Just got back from both, really liked the little hotel, some rooms have little fridges in them and some don't, if you don't get one, maybe you'll get a "hand me down" cooler from a previous guest, it's kind of a tradition. We left our left over drinks and foam cooler with Gordon (ggunn) and family, I'm sure they passed the cooler on.

the dive op was great, we dove with almost all the DM's and really enjoyed them all, FAST boats, we passed many that had left as much as a half hour before us. Victor at the shop was very accomodating working with our schedule, my sinuses were freaking out so we were sort of diving day to day. Kudos to the entire crew!!
the 8:30 leaving time was also great as neither my wife or myself are morning persons.

brianandcat:
Thanks for the tips. Does Blue Angel let you dive to your computer limits? I'm not an air hog don't want to be back on the boat to soon.

I've dived with Blue Angel several times and yes, my experience is that by and large, you dive to your computer limits and to your air (not the extra-shallow sites like Columbia Shallows or Paradise where presumably you could go for an hour-and-a-half plus!).

They instruct you that you are to begin your ascent when you hit 750 lbs. Depending on the ability of the divers on the boat, you may be doing some deco dives as they (or at least Jorge) will let you stay at depth if your air is holding out and he pretty much expects you to manage yourself accordingly. Just know that if you blow it, you probably won't find yourself on his boat the next day.

What sort of computer are you using? I have both a Tusa computer (forget the model) and Suunto Cobra and I found that some of the profiles on some of the dives can make the latter computer a tad unhappy even when on its most liberal of settings. On more than a couple of occasions, I had a deco obligation of several minutes while my Tusa would be perfectly clear. I do all my second dives on nitrox so that makes it a non-issue on the second dive.

So, in answer to your initial question, you should make sure you have some equipment to signal your presence in the water as you may not be ascending with the DM. I guess my other tip would be that generally, I find I pack way too many clothes when I go to Coz (and for some reason can't break myself of the habit). Bring a warm jacket to wear on the boat after the dives. A few shorts, T-shirts, and sandals should do you for the rest of the trip, including most evenings out for dinner! Have a blast. I'm trying to find a week or two in the next couple of months to get back there again (was last down in February....).

I love Caribe Blu & Blue Angel. One quick tip... there is a small convenience store just south and across the street by Villa Blanca. It beats the walk (or cab rides) to Cherdrui if you just need snacks or beverages. Also, we were told that there were no fridges available upon check-in, but there was one in our room when we were able to get in (after lunch). I don't know this for sure, but the $5.00 check-in tip may have helped!

Check my photos for some late Feb early May pictures. I would love to see how it looks now. Maybe I should book a flight...

Is Jorge still there? I thought he was going back to Cuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom