Last minute trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WATER DOG

Registered
Reaction score
Having a possible opportunity for time off. I'm looking for tips on where to stay,and dive charters that last minute booking would not be a hassle. How much more expense would be added if I book in coz. vs booking before flying? I would be going solo. Would that be a problem with the charter not having a dive buddy? Thanks for any input!

You will have no problems. The dive shope will set you up with a buddy. There are several possibilities. You can stay at Scubaclub, Hotel Cozumel, Hotel Barracuda, or other hotel in downtown. You do not have to set up diving beforehand. However, it is better to do so to save money on a week long trip. If you go for 2 or three days, it may be a wash.

Ohh, I have dove with Dive Paradise and Aqua World. Dive Paradise is my preference. Scubaclub may have their own operator.

Go on at least one two tank morning trip. Good sites = Palancar caves, Palancar gardens (very good), paraiso reef ...ie paradise reef (for shallow second dives), balones de Chankanaab...ie Chankanaab baloons.

Have fun!!

WATER DOG:
Having a possible opportunity for time off. I'm looking for tips on where to stay,and dive charters that last minute booking would not be a hassle. How much more expense would be added if I book in coz. vs booking before flying? I would be going solo. Would that be a problem with the charter not having a dive buddy? Thanks for any input!
When are you going? try www.aldora.com and they even have a villa for you to stay at. We are going June 14th.

AXL72:
You will have no problems. The dive shope will set you up with a buddy. There are several possibilities. You can stay at Scubaclub, Hotel Cozumel, Hotel Barracuda, or other hotel in downtown. You do not have to set up diving beforehand. However, it is better to do so to save money on a week long trip. If you go for 2 or three days, it may be a wash.

Ohh, I have dove with Dive Paradise and Aqua World. Dive Paradise is my preference. Scubaclub may have their own operator.

Go on at least one two tank morning trip. Good sites = Palancar caves, Palancar gardens (very good), paraiso reef ...ie paradise reef (for shallow second dives), balones de Chankanaab...ie Chankanaab baloons.

Have fun!!

Yes, Scubaclub has thier own dive shop, it is an all-inclusive dive resort.

No worries about not having a buddy, you can get buddied with another single diver on board (this can be a very good thing or a very bad thing) or buddy with the DM.

As far as pre-booking vs. booking once you are on the island, price isn't affected. However, depending on when you are going your choices will be more limited if you wait until you get here. If you aren't selective about who you dive with, you will certainly find a shop with openings for a single diver.

Good, clean, convenient divers hotels under $100 per night include (but not limited to):
Bahia
Barracuda
Caribe Blu (if they have availability)
Vista del Mar

Casa Mexicana is very nice, but more expensive.
La Ceiba is reopen, but on the more expensive side.

AI's include
Hotel Cozumel
Cozumel Palace
Fiesta Americana

I would stay away from the far northern or southern resorts for convenience purposes as a single.

Most important...have fun and dive safe!

chickmama:
When are you going? try www.aldora.com and they even have a villa for you to stay at. We are going June 14th.

Ditto this opinion. Have been diving with Aldora for 7 years. Hotel choices all depend on what location your looking for and how much your willing to spend. Hotel Cozumel is a great location and have decent room prices and a huge pool. Fiesta Americana, our Favorite, is located about 7 or 8 clicks south. 6 pesos taxi to town for two. Dont know what they charge for one since I have never done it.......lol. With this being low season, you should be able to find some good deals on rooms.

You lucky Water Dog you!!. Have a great time.

Try the charters.. Funjet has charters out of DFW and are usually pretty cheap and you can get hotel and airfare priced together....book your diving separate most ops will pick up a most hotels.....many choices depends on what you are looking for...

book diving before you go...the op you may want may be booked when you get there and you will spend your short time on the island looking for diveops..

Check Worryfreevacations.com, I have seen some mad crazy cheap last minute fares from them in the last week or 2. Like $199 round trip for 4 nights, even a 7 nighter or 2!

How much does hotel Cozumel cost? the Villa Aldora is 79 for a room now if u get a bigger room with a kitchen and refrigerator in it it is slightly more. they also have 2 bedroom condos for alot more. It just depend on what room you get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom