Wetsuit for Cozumel in Late June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need to get some advice... I will be heading to Cozumel in late June and need to confirm what type of wet suit I may need to purchase for that time of the year. I currently own (1) 7mm Full and (1) 3mm Shorty. I know I would not need a 7mm but what my problem is that I do get cold easy and if I hit the thermoclines there I may have some problems cold on the dive. I am expecting to dive to past 30 ft and also do some night diving. I belive I would just need a 3/2 full. What do you think? :confused:

I also get cold easily and I'll be using a 3mm full wetsuit when I'm in Cozumel (June 3-10). That's what I used last June and it worked out well. The only thing I'm doing different this year is bringing a beanie for night dives (that's the only time I felt a little chilly last year).

LunarDiver:
I know I would not need a 7mm but what my problem is that I do get cold easy and if I hit the thermoclines there I may have some problems cold on the dive. :confused:

You get cold easy so bring your 7mm wetsuit. It's better to be warm and happy than cold and miserable. Just be aware that you put your wetsuit on just before the dive and not half an hour before you get in the water; you may get overheated!
I dive with at least 7 mm and a hood on all my tropical dives. Call me a whimp but hey; I'm a warm, comfortable and happy diver at any depth, any time. Even if the dive lasts 90 minutes...:D

A 7mm in June is overkill, even for those who get cold easy. Even those of us who dive everyday or almost everyday don't wear a 7mm in the summer.

The more important question you need answered is the water temperature. Water temps in Cozumel are virtually the same at the surface as they are at 100feet. We don't have true thermoclines, although on a rare occasion, you may hit a cold patch...but it's not constant like a thermocline...and as I said, even that is rare.

With all of that said, the water temps are currently right at 80 to 81 degrees and I suspect will be up to 81/82 by the end of June.

Most people are comfortable in a full 3mm, and I rarely see any tourists wearing more than a 5mm in the summer here. I would say a full 3mm or a 3mm shorty and a hood or a hooded vest just in case is adequate for most vacation divers here in June.

Get a 3mm or 3/2 full. Take your shorty along, too. You can use it to layer. If you get cold easily, the 3mm shorty alone probably won't be enough for you. You should think about a light (1mm) hood or tropical beanie. Covering your head makes a big difference. Thermoclines are not an issue. There is rarely more than 1 degree (F) difference between the surface water temp and temps at depth.

I have never dove with anything but a t-shirt and suit in Cozumel...ahhhh warm water!:D

stangscuba98a:
I have never dove with anything but a t-shirt and suit in Cozumel...ahhhh warm water!:D

Well, another Tulsan on the board. With well in excess of 100 dives in Cozumel, I have never worn anything but a microprene which is basically a 1mm. My wife dives a 2/3. We never get cold even on 100'+ dives, BUT, everyone is different.

5615mike:
Well, another Tulsan on the board. With well in excess of 100 dives in Cozumel, I have never worn anything but a microprene which is basically a 1mm. My wife dives a 2/3. We never get cold even on 100'+ dives, BUT, everyone is different.

You live in the tulsa area?

from a cold natured girl. i have a full 3mil henderson suit and it's quite comfy for me, and i take along a "tropical beanie" to use sometimes. i've been fine in my 3mil suit down there. dove in late november not far from tulum and water temp was still like 82 degrees. nice and warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom