Hiring a taxi for a day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is going to be my first trip to Cozumel where I will have a non diving day before heading back home. I'm thinking about exploring the east side of Cozumel, and would like to know if anyone has hired a taxi or a guide for a whole day? I'm not really interested in renting a vehicle even though it would probably be cheaper to do so. Also if you have hired a guide or a taxi for the day what did it cost? Thanks.

DiverG:
This is going to be my first trip to Cozumel where I will have a non diving day before heading back home. I'm thinking about exploring the east side of Cozumel, and would like to know if anyone has hired a taxi or a guide for a whole day? I'm not really interested in renting a vehicle even though it would probably be cheaper to do so. Also if you have hired a guide or a taxi for the day what did it cost? Thanks.

I did that in January; there were 6 of us and we hired a taxi grande for the afternoon for $15 each. The driver took us around to the other side and stopped whever we wanted for as long as we wanted. It was great not having to drive.

ggunn:
I did that in January; there were 6 of us and we hired a taxi grande for the afternoon for $15 each. The driver took us around to the other side and stopped whever we wanted for as long as we wanted. It was great not having to drive.

So a $100 should do it?

DiverG:
So a $100 should do it?

I think that would absolutely do it :) and it's a great idea! I wish more people would think to do this! Especially if there is a group, for a very nominal price IMO, you can have a designated driver for the day!

Christi:
I think that would absolutely do it :) and it's a great idea! I wish more people would think to do this! Especially if there is a group, for a very nominal price IMO, you can have a designated driver for the day!

Would it be possible to hire a driver for the day for less then $100? there will only be two of us at the moment unless we meet up with more people that want to do this while we're in Cozumel.

Christi, what would you say we should start the minium negotiations at for this type of arrangement?

DiverG:
Would it be possible to hire a driver for the day for less then $100? there will only be two of us at the moment unless we meet up with more people that want to do this while we're in Cozumel.

Christi, what would you say we should start the minium negotiations at for this type of arrangement?

The taxi driver is the one that will start the negotiation. You'll just need to tell them what you want to do and they'll give you a price. You can TRY to negotiate from there and it will also depend on how many hours you want them for. Remember the longer you have them, the longer you take them out of commission for other fares so thatneeds to be taken into account and compensated for. It's also about 1/2 a tank of gas to go around the island. With all that in mind, I'm sure each driver has a minimum rate they will do this for. If you want him at your disposal all day, then $100 is not unreasonable for 2 people. Think of what you would spend on an organized tour and look at it that way...this would be a private tour. Remember service isn't free :)

The way I look at it $100 is reasonable, but it never hurts to find out if others have done this and what the going rate is for this. :)

I've posted or will post this question on a couple of boards and see what kind of answers I get. Thanks Chrisiti.

DiverG:
The way I look at it $100 is reasonable, but it never hurts to find out if others have done this and what the going rate is for this. :)

I've posted or will post this question on a couple of boards and see what kind of answers I get. Thanks Chrisiti.

BTW....I apologize...I dodn't really answer your question before...I DO think it's possible to get it for less...but probbly not much less. Also depends on how many ships are in and how busy he is :wink:

Christi:
BTW....I apologize...I dodn't really answer your question before...I DO think it's possible to get it for less...but probbly not much less. Also depends on how many ships are in and how busy he is :wink:

Are the cruise ships visiting Cozumel back to pre Wilma numbers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom