July dive magazines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckofabq

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What a treat, I thought, opening the mailbox to find not one, but two different dive magazines both being delivered on the same day.
The front covers each teased views and reviews of Cozumel.
Scuba Diving's cover says "Cozumel Rises Again, the world's most popular dive destination stages a stunning recovery."
PADI's Sport Diver proclaims "Cozumel: better than ever."
Oh boy! Can't wait to dig in.
We'll all have our opinions and could (and probably will) critique 'till the cows come home, but my jaw just dropped open after getting through the entire read of the PADI magazine writer's report. I really wondered if he visited pre or post-Wilma. I re-read. I checked the Deco Stops side-bar. Nope. No time reference at all.
"Better" than what, when, where? (oh, better than "ever," said the headline)
Was that article not akin to making your first ever trip to Mardi Gras (post Katrina) and never so much as giving a hint as to the context?
I could probably accept it a little easier, if not for the front cover's sub headline promising something that wasn't delivered.
The Scuba Diving story, on the other hand, was a great read.

Craig-

Both of those magazines are "slaves" their advertisers.

It's almost a yearly issue to have a Cozumel article as the "cover article". Then they sell ads to all the Cozumel shops all around it.

I read one article a month or so ago that even mentioned Mesa 17 and I don't think it ever opened after Wilma !

...and did you pick up on the major plug for Deep Exposure? A new shop who has got the $$$$'s, that's for sure. Not many new, small, operations can be at all the US dive shows in their first months of operation and afford ads in the dive mags. I have no opinion on Deep Exposure and never dived with them. Not a slight to them, just an observation.

I got my issue of Scuba Diving yesterday and since I just got back from my 3rd post-hurricane trip I opened it up right away. Not impressed. IMO, it was more of a an advertorial piece for a few dive operators then a story about post-Wilma Cozumel.

Just for the record, Aldora Divers has never placed an ad in Scuba Diving Magazine, or any other, nor have we alluded to that possibility to their sales staff. Insinuations to the contrary are flat out untrue.

Indeed, in the case of the June Issue they virtually had to drag information from us at the last minute. The published photo was taken by one of our dive customers, who was not a pro in any sense. That Aldora Divers was ranked highly was strictly a function of the fact that we do have multiple boats, and yet provide the personallized service that many on this board appreciates.

Obviously, to me, Scuba Diving Magazine makes a real effort at editorial independence but they do have a business to run or they will go broke and slamming the poor ops that do advertise would be bad business for them. If you want to read the bad reports you'd have to look to Undercurrents Magazine for that.

But they cannot make published ratings on just a few subscriber responses. That could make really wierd results. So...when some of the favored operations on this board can manage a fleet of boats and still make many divers happy, they too may be highly rated by Scuba Diving Magazine. From my 12 years of experience in Cozumel that is a really tough job...good luck.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

dillehay:
So...when some of the favored operations on this board can manage a fleet of boats and still make many divers happy, they too may be highly rated by Scuba Diving Magazine. From my 12 years of experience in Cozumel that is a really tough job...good luck.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

classic dave dillehay arrogance and taking a pot shot at other operators. some things will never change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom