Hotel Villa Blanca

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BicyclePhil

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Coz' in August, planning to stay at Hotel Villa Blanca and would like to hear other opinions re Hotel Villa Blanca.

thanks

Book a "Superior Ocean View" and ask for a room towards the front of the building (from the middle toward the street side). Ask to see the room first. They have ones with a dining area and ones with a sitting area. I prefered the dining area. The best rates I found were on Expedia. And they have a deal with Expedia that on repeat visits you can book a standard and the hotel will upgrade you.

I had heard very mixed reviews of the hotel before we stayed there in Feb. We were very happy with it. Nothing fancy, just comfortable, low key and relatively close to town. The rooms are like late 70's - early 80's basic Mexican hotel. A bit dated and they could use a little cosmetic updating, but very adequate. The only thing we found was that they could use a few more chairs around the pool. I think it's one of the best values in Cozumel. Our room was on the top floor right overlooking the jacuzzi. The room was big, clean, king size bed, big bathroom, a full size new fridge, microwave, coffee maker and big dining table. We went to Chedraui and picked up easy breakfast stuff, drinks and snacks. It worked out really well. We made coffee and had breakfast before heading out for diving and then had a snack when we came back. It was 40 pesos to town and we went out for dinners.

Papa Hogs Hogtown Cafe next door opens at 6:30 for breakfast. Hogtown also has a good happy hour (early though since they close at 6pm). Good margaritas and cold beer. Great chicken nachos and hogtown quesadilla is really yummy.

scubawife:
Book a "Superior Ocean View" and ask for a room towards the front of the building (from the middle toward the street side). Ask to see the room first. They have ones with a dining area and ones with a sitting area. I prefered the dining area. The best rates I found were on Expedia. And they have a deal with Expedia that on repeat visits you can book a standard and the hotel will upgrade you.

I had heard very mixed reviews of the hotel before we stayed there in Feb. We were very happy with it. Nothing fancy, just comfortable, low key and relatively close to town. The rooms are like late 70's - early 80's basic Mexican hotel. A bit dated and they could use a little cosmetic updating, but very adequate. The only thing we found was that they could use a few more chairs around the pool. I think it's one of the best values in Cozumel. Our room was on the top floor right overlooking the jacuzzi. The room was big, clean, king size bed, big bathroom, a full size new fridge, microwave, coffee maker and big dining table. We went to Chedraui and picked up easy breakfast stuff, drinks and snacks. It worked out really well. We made coffee and had breakfast before heading out for diving and then had a snack when we came back. It was 40 pesos to town and we went out for dinners.

Papa Hogs Hogtown Cafe next door opens at 6:30 for breakfast. Hogtown also has a good happy hour (early though since they close at 6pm). Good margaritas and cold beer. Great chicken nachos and hogtown quesadilla is really yummy.

Thanks for your impressions.

Is there a beach near-by?

BicyclePhil:
Thanks for your impressions.

Is there a beach near-by?

The "beach" area across the street hasn't been repaired yet. You can either head to the beach clubs in the south end of the island, head over to the east side, or north of town.

Whoa, Scubawife for leader!

That is the story on Villa Blanca. The "white house" is right across the street from Papa hog (one "g" only, if ya please) dive op. I'm a dedicated Papa Hog spammer. Mike and Margaret are great people who run a first class dive op. Dive with 'em, you'll like it.

Get the burger at hogtown, it's great, too.

The little rest. that under is the papa hog ofc. is a great place. Get the burrito there, it is totally unlike any concept of "burrito" you've ever had. Taste's like "fish in crepe" at a fancy french joint.

Shepman:

That is the story on Villa Blanca. The "white house" is right across the street from Papa hog (one "g" only, if ya please) dive op. I'm a dedicated Papa Hog spammer. Mike and Margaret are great people who run a first class dive op. Dive with 'em, you'll like it.

The little rest. that under is the papa hog ofc. is a great place. Get the burrito there, it is totally unlike any concept of "burrito" you've ever had. Taste's like "fish in crepe" at a fancy french joint.

Actually, Villa Blanca is NEXT to Papa Hogs. The office across the street was destroyed with Wilma and they moved operations back to the original office by the cafe (not under it). They rebuilt the bodega (storage facility) across the street, but not the office. Their pier is also almost 100% and looks great!

I agree, Hogtown cafe has some yummy aprés dive comida :)

Shepman:

I am a spammer of Pelagic Ventures and Troy/Jimmy are good friends of M & M (Papa Hog). I can't say enough good things about the both of them......

Ron

Christi:
Actually, Villa Blanca is NEXT to Papa Hogs. The office across the street was destroyed with Wilma and they moved operations back to the original office by the cafe (not under it). They rebuilt the bodega (storage facility) across the street, but not the office. Their pier is also almost 100% and looks great!

I agree, Hogtown cafe has some yummy aprés dive comida :)

Well, if Wilma got the Papa Hog office, I assume the restaurant below the office is toast as well?

When we got back from Coz last year, both my wife & I just called it the "no name" cause neither of us could remember the name of the place! We have so many places we like to eat at in Coz, it took some heavy lobbying from a family we met, to get us to eat there. We finally straggled in there after a nite dive. It was spectacular. We ate there one more time.

Izzat whole building destroyed?

Does anyone know the name of that place & what happened to it?

we stayed there last month and dove with Papa Hogs. Enjoyed both. My first time in Coz so I do not have comparisons with other hotels, but I described Villa Blanca as on the edge of being a really great place. Convenience if diving with Papa Hogs is a major plus especially if they get the dock up and running. It was calm enough that we still boarded the boats right there, but a dock would make it easier for these old knees:) Hogtown cafe was great for breakfast and lunch. Our breakfast was included in the hotel/dive package I booked directly through Margaret. Our room was the superior, 2nd floor facing into the courtyard directly over the new restaurant/bar. The small bar got a little rowdy a couple of nights, but not all that bad. AC worked fine. By the way the new restaurant - Nemo (i think), we never ate at. Looked very nice, but was a bit pricey and there were so many GREAT choices in town. Our room had a nice king size bed and a day bed on the tv side with a small fridge. There are big jugs of bottled water in the rooms. The first day in the room it had clearly been bug bombed, but that odor cleared. The pool could use more cleaning, but they were working on the filter system during the week so maybe it will get better. Anyway it was fine for a quick dunk now and then! We would go back. Oh and I think the thing that surprised me the most about Cozumel was the food. Really quite excellent!

Back
Top Bottom