Places in Cozumel for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My fiancé and I are going to Cozumel for our honeymoon at the end of September. We are new to diving. Going through classes now. By the time we go we will have about 8 dives in. Were are some good dive locations for a newbie? Don't want to get in too deep :wink:

That depends on who you are diving with. Just be sure to tell the DM your dive experience and they should plan dives accordingly to your level. You should also invest in some safety equipment - SMB, whistle, mirror, light. Don't dive without them.

Most if not all of your dives will be drift dives. Very relaxing, not alot of finning.

Relax and enjoy the ride.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Thanks, the nice thing is we bought all of our equipment so that we could learn on it and not have to learn new rental stuff each time that we dive. The only thing we haven’t bought yet is the wetsuit and that’s because we can’t decide which to get. In Cozumel we shouldn’t really need a wet suit will we? Since it’s so warm? I have heard both ways. Most of our diving will be California cold water so we want to get a warm one. We are staying at Americana Dive resort and they use the dive house for their dives. Any good bad to share on those? Any recommendations?

I highly recommend that you get a full wet suit. Yes, it is warm in Coz and yes you will be warm for the first couple of minutes on your first dive, but you will be cold after about a half hour and defintely cold on your second dive.

In Coz, I use a 3/2mm full with booties and 1mm beanie. My girlfriend wears a 3/2mm full with a 5mm hooded vest and polar booties. This is what keeps us comfortable. We have never been too hot that we couldn't dive, but I have seen people shivering after a first dive that were wearing nothing.

Also consider the protection from sun and marine life, especially sea lice, jellies and the occasional brush with fire coral.

And don't forget the safety devices I've mentioned.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Thanks that’s definitely good advice. I am wimp when it comes to cold so I definitely want to stay warm. I will pass on your safety list to my fiancé since he will be the one buying it :D
I have nice warm boots, 5mm gloves, fins, boots and BC. We will want lighter gloves for the warm water but no wet suits yet. I really liked the Aqua Lung but we haven’t decided yet. Last weekend Dolphins in Sacramento had this huge sale so we were able to get all of our gear on sale. That made it nice.

You can't wear gloves in Cozumel Marine Park.

Also, I can't comment on the Americana Dive resort. Never been there. You could go to http://www.tripadvisor.com/ and find out what other people have thought of the place.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Dave is giving great advice. I will echo the full dive suit recommendation. I use a 3mm full with a beanie and I am not that sensitive to the cold. A beanie makes an amazing difference. A shorty may keep you warm enough but it offers less protection. I see many women using thicker 5MM vests etc... Take a jacket for the boat because I have seen people shaking and blue after dives on the boat even when you think it is warm because of the wind.

You will LOVE the diving and Cozumel.

Everyone is different when it comes to thermal stuff. In the warmer months I dive Cozumel in a shorty and I am comfortable even when we dive three tanks, and I use a 3mm full with a beanie in the winter. My wife doesn't use a wetsuit there even in January. The water temp last January was a pretty consistent 79F, and in May it was five or six degrees warmer.

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
Thanks that’s definitely good advice. I am wimp when it comes to cold so I definitely want to stay warm. I will pass on your safety list to my fiancé since he will be the one buying it :D
I have nice warm boots, 5mm gloves, fins, boots and BC. We will want lighter gloves for the warm water but no wet suits yet. I really liked the Aqua Lung but we haven’t decided yet. Last weekend Dolphins in Sacramento had this huge sale so we were able to get all of our gear on sale. That made it nice.

My first wetsuit was a 3mm because so many people told me I would never need more then that for the Caribbean. After a few years of layering a core warmer, full 1mm and 3mm, I finally gave in and bought a full 5mm. I also have neoprene socks that I wear with my 3mm booties. Gloves aren't allowed in the marine park in Cozumel.

I've been in Cozumel the past couple years in Dec, Feb and April or late May. From what I've seen it seems that alot of women go with a 5mm and in the colder winter months (78 avg) they add hooded vests or core warmers. Guys tend to go with 3mm or less in the summer and 3mm with hooded vests or a 5mm in the winter. The DM's I've dived with have warn 5mm and in the winter 7mm.

You should absolutely each have a "safety sausage" and a whistle on your BCD for every dive.

Back
Top Bottom