Any info on 6/20 Sunset Beach Diving Accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if anyone knew any of the details around the accident at Sunset Beach/Villa Blanca Shallows in Cozumel on 6/20? My daughter, niece, friend and I were going to do a shore dive to get warmed up for some boat dives later in the week and as we were prepping our gear, an unconcious diver was pulled from the water.

The instructors we were with from El Cozumeleno/Ocean Tours did a great job in aiding the diver, but he was still unconcious when he was taken away from the site. As you might expect, this had a serious impact on all of us that witnessed the event and we all would like to know if the man recovered successfully. Does anyone have any information regarding this accident? Thanks in advance.

Jarrett:
I was wondering if anyone knew any of the details around the accident at Sunset Beach/Villa Blanca Shallows in Cozumel on 6/20?

Where is Sunset Beach? I usually stay at Caribe Blu, which is just up from Villablanca Hotel, but I've not heard of Sunset Beach.

It's just past Playa Villa Blanca, maybe 100 yards or so. Not sure if its new or not. The dive group was I was with used to go to Playa Villa Blanca, but it was destroyed during Wilma. I think it just reopened last week though.

Jarrett,

I haven't heard anything about it, nor has my crew.

Jarrett:
It's just past Playa Villa Blanca, maybe 100 yards or so. Not sure if its new or not. The dive group was I was with used to go to Playa Villa Blanca, but it was destroyed during Wilma. I think it just reopened last week though.

South or North of Villa Blanca?

Christi, I was hoping you had heard something on this. Thanks for the reply. I wanted to leave this up just in case. My daughter, niece, friend and I would love to hear he pulled through.

When I helped lift him from the water, I could feel a faint pulse in his legs but he didn't appear to be breathing. As we laid him down he exhalled some water and appeared to take a shallow breath. He remained unconcious but breathing and with a heartbeat for about 15 minutes it seemed like on the beach there. As the instructors applied oxygen to him he began to breathe deeper and deeper. Despite having his eyes open the entire time, we could not get him to show a response, blink or tighten his grip. As the EMT staff carried him away to the ambulance, he made a noise which gave us hope, but that was the last we saw of him.

If anyone happens to hear anything about this incident our family would love to hear how he is doing and get some personal closure on this. Thanks.

I'll see if I can find anything out and get in touch with you...but I am on a short time frame as I am leaving Sunday for my trip :)

Christi:
I'll see if I can find anything out and get in touch with you...but I am on a short time frame as I am leaving Sunday for my trip :)

Where ya' goin'?

Back
Top Bottom