Blue XT Sea & Aqua Safari Cozumel Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talonraid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from Cozumel (19-26 June) and wanted to give a review of my experience with a couple of dive operations for those who are interested.

My wife and I made eight total dives. Four tanks with Blue XT Sea and three with Aqua Safari and one shore dive from the Cozumel Palace Hotel.

Dive Day 1 Aqua Safari: We made a shore dive first with rented equipment from Aqua Safari. We wanted to test out the gear before we took a real dive later that day, because it looked a little worn. We made a thirty minute dive right in front of the hotel, and everthing worked just fine. Nothing significant to see really, except a monster spiny lobster. Then we went out to Paradise reef. There were four divers and one dive master. Maximum depth was about 60 feet and we made a 55 minute dive. Our Dive Master was "Chino" who was quiet but competent and attentive to us under the surface. You set up and checked your own gear, but they captain would help divers in and out of their gear and the boat. We saw several stingrays, barracudas, one moray and one spotted eel, various fish and a few lobsters. Near the end of the dive we saw the destroyed remains of the old international pier. It was like something out of one of the post apocalyptic movies. There were just tons of concrete and steel folded together under the surface. The fish were already moving in and making homes. Aqua Safari provided drinks and all of our tanks were filled to about 3200 psi.

Dive Day 2 Blue XT Sea: We made two dives with rented equipment from Blue XT Sea. The gear appeared new and in good repair. However, my rented dive computer gave up the ghost on the way out to the dive, so I dove with analog SPG and my handy-dandy dive watch, made sure my depth was always above the dive master and I stuck close to my buddy. No problems and Christi (the owner) apologized later. I didn't think it was a big deal but appreciated the apology. There were six divers and one dive master. The Dive Master was "Arturo" who I am convinced had a spare set of gills hidden behind his hair and ears. Arturo was a great DM who had a knack for finding the tiniest of creatures along the dive. Arturo gave a detailed and thorough dive brief and didn't suit up until all the divers were clear on the plan. He was always aware of our positions, air status, etc.

The first dive was at Maracaibo Bajo. We made a 45 minute dive with a maximum depth of 75 feet. The dive was great. Current was slow and steady so we had a nice relaxed dive. We did find a severed shark tail on the floor, but couldn't tell how it got there. We also saw two huge king crabs, lots of tiny shrimp hiding in the reef and lots of fish. We spent the surface interval at Columbia Beach. Blue XT Sea provided drinks, fruit and a light snack.

The second dive was at Columbia for 55 minutes down to 65 feet. This was an awesome reef! We saw a huge spotted eagle ray that was about 5-6 feet in wingspan feeding on the sandy bottom. Then there was a hawksbill turtle about 1-2 feet across that skimmed right down the reef about 3 feet from me. There were several barracudas and a few swim throughs. The boat captain (I'm ashamed to say I can't remember his name) was attentive and helped the divers into and out of gear and conducted a quick "buddy" check. As a matter of fact, most of the divers took off their BCs in the water and usually by the time you got into the boat and sat down, your new tank was attached and waiting. My wife and I still did our own equipment check, but he was definitely quick and efficient. This was a great dive op and we'll probably be back.

Dive Day 3 Aqua Safari: We made two dives this day. We had Chino again for the dive master, which was great seeing the same DM that we were already familiar with.

The first dive was Santa Rosa Wall down to a max of 85 feet for 50 minutes. This was my first "wall" dive so I was excited, but it sort of wore off after about 10 minutes. There were lots of fish, some swim throughs and we spotted a small turtle cruising along the surface over our heads. The current was moderate and if you wanted to turn around or hover in one spot you had to really fin hard. Near the end of the dive Chino spotted a big nurse shark under an overhang. The placement was perfect because we were able to hunker behind a reef formation, out of the current, and get a good close view. This was a big fish about 6-8 feet long. Chino was hanging out about 3 feet away until if finally woke up and swam off. Then right at the end of the dive we started seeing nurse sharks everywhere! Usually by the time we spotted them they were scooting away, but there was a pair of them that were right under us at the safety stop. They all appeared to be good sized sharks, at least six feet in length but I'm estimating using the Mark IV eyeball.

The second dive was Tormentos. This was a 45 minute dive with a max depth of 60 feet. The current was very strong here and stopping or swimming back was tormenting....maybe that's where the name comes from. I didn't care much for this reef until my wife spotted a big turtle about 3 feet across just hanging out in a depression in the reef. He let me glide right over him, but the current was so strong it was hard to get more than a passing look. Then this dive took a turn for the worse. Our group got ahead of the DM and then I looked back and he was gone! Couldn't even see the his bubbles, because the vis was a little poor. My stress level went up a little and I even considered calling the dive. I glided backwards for a few minutes and finally saw Chino swimming towards us at top speed. He signalled for us to all descend to the bottom to get out of the current and we rejoined. I don't think he was impressed with any of us after that.

Dive Day 4 Blue XT Sea: We were lucky enough to have Arturo again for this dive. There were only four divers, I had a working computer, and it was a good day. The first dive was Palancar Horseshoe for 60 minutes down to a max of 84 feet. There were several swim throughs and the coral columns were awesome. The current was very slow and there were small fish everywhere. This was a relaxing dive with plenty to see. We saw columns of blue chromies and a big dog snapper with giant teeth that just stared us down. During the surface interval we had snacks, bananas, water and other drinks provided by Blue XT Sea.

The second dive was at Chankanaab Bolones for 55 minutes down to a max of 73 feet. During the descent I noticed a spotted eel in a coral head. We went on to find some shrimp, lots of fish and Arturo found a toadfish at the base of a coral mound curled up in a hole. This was a different sort of dive. The current was slow and steady but between coral heads there would be 40 yards or so of white sandy bottom. Then near the end of the dive Arturo got our attention and pointed out into the distance. Finally a freaking submarine appeared! Arturo had warned us during the pre-dive brief that there was a tourist submarine called the Atlantis that cruised around the area. I had heard the hydraulics almost the entire dive and then here comes this huge white submarine. So, we spent our safety stop staring at tourists in a submarine who were staring at tourists in dive gear.

Overall, this was a great experience for me and my wife. We had not gone diving in Cozumel prior to Hurricane Wilma so I can't compare it to what it was like prior. I had been snorkeling in Cozumel in the early 1980's and I can remember the oranges, purples, greens, etc. There was still some colorful coral to be found, especially in the swim throughs where I imagine they were probably more protected. I can say it was a lot more colorful and the vis was much better than Lake Travis in Austin, TX.

We thoroughly enjoyed diving with Arturo too. The other amazing thing about him (other than his critter finding ability) is how he hovers no more than 3 inches off the bottom, and can swim under an overhang maintaining pefect control. When I grow up I want to dive like that. Christi has done a great job of putting together a top notch crew.

Thank you for the first hand comparison of the two dive ops. Glad you had a good trip.

Nice trip report, thanks for sharing it.

Great trip report. And yes, Arturo is an excellent DM.

I also had a chance to dive with Christi's team and another dive operation last week as well. I'm glad I did because I now know I want to dive with Christi's team from now on :) Mago and Arturo were great to dive with and their service was much better than the other dive operation I went out with.

talonraid:
The Dive Master was "Arturo" who I am convinced had a spare set of gills hidden behind his hair and ears.

I had to laugh when I read that. We took our kids on a snorkel trip w/Arturo as our snorkel guide and it was amazing how he could free dive down to the reef for the longest time to point stuff out to the kids. He was absolutely amazing. My husband and I also thought he was terrific as a DM. All of the Blue XT~Sea crew is awesome!!!

Glad to hear you had a great time! And props on the nice trip report!

15 more days for us till Cozumel!

Thanks for the nice comparative report. Just an FYI, if you weren't diving the same computer all week, then it really didn't serve you any purpose to rent a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom