Short trip report for Trip June 24--28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A short report about my trip to Cozumel and the return.

The drive to the airport in Dallas from my home in Hutchinson, Kansas was relatively uneventful and we stayed in Dallas Friday night so we could be at the airport early for the 8am flight direct to Cozumel.

Was first in line Saturday morning and the boarding and flight went well, hit the green light and the start of a wonderful trip was going great. Stayed at the Hotel San Miguel Messon down town. This is where we had our only problems of the trip. The AC did not work and we could not make the desk understand that. They would send a non-English speaking maintenance person up and he would hear the AC running and saying “max, max”, I assume meaning it was all that there was. Well I am no AC tech but even I can tell when the Compressor is kick on and off or not. I tried to tell them that the compressor would not work and it was useless. It was hotter in the room than it was out on the square.

Just when we were about to move our bedding out onto the square for the night, my Angel on the Island called. (Christi from Blues XT-Sea diving) called and she said she would speak to them in Spanish and get it strait. Shortly an older maintenance man came up and looked for 2 minutes and said compressor was bad. Then he moved us to another room that we were told they did not have. Christi came through above and beyond again.

After the room fiasco was cleared then everything turned out great. The diving (with Christi) was great the DMs were fantastic and the whole ordeal was as pleasant as I have ever had on the island. Christi’s operation seems to be better every time I go down there and I certainly don’t know how she continues to improve on perfection but somehow she always does.

I made 11 dives in three days and did not have a bad dive. To compare the reef conditions to when I was last there. (February of this year) I would say that everywhere I went they were better. The current is cleaning the sand away and the sea life is even better than it was before.

I was really impressed with Arturo’s (Christi’s DM) description of the pier being destroyed. He told some of the newer divers on the boat that the construction company took out some of Paradise reef to make the pier. It was a shame that they had to do that, but you don’t mess with Mother Nature. She sent Wilma here and took back what they blew up. That pier is now becoming part of Paradise reef. The part that they took away, she is taking back.

I must say that I enjoyed this trip as much as any I have taken to the Island, about 16 trips in the last 3 years.

But when I returned home I was the most impressed and the proudest that I have been in a long time.

We were waiting in line to clear customs and in front of us was a solder that was retuning form duty after being gone for a year. I told him Thank You for what he does and that he should be proud for being a solder of such a wonderful country.

He told us that he was just doing his job but that he was glad to be home. He was about to see his 9 month old little girl that he had never seen. This really sent a pang of pride though me and I congratulated him and shook his hand and thanked him again.

The next thing I seen made me one of the proudest Americans in the country. When this young man entered the room where people were waiting, his wife and baby girl included.

EVERYONE in that room stood up and applauded.

Now that may not seem like much but I was impressed by the group that included younger and older, male and female, and people of all origins and colors, at that point they were all Americans and I must say that I was damned proud to be one of them.

Even though I had just returned from maybe one of the best trips I had ever been on, it almost paled to the brightness of what I had just witnessed and at that moment I was really proud to be an American and to be back home.

Once again Thanks to all our military people for making it so that we can do the things we do and most certainly too many times take for granted.

I could not say anything that could add to what I seen in that airport that day so until the next trip August 2 Thanks again Mr. Link (That was all I got and that was from his uniform)

Hi Chuck! Your report brought tears to my eyes! I'm so glad there are still people out there who support our troops--the welcome home parties at the airport always make me cry. I try to thank a soldier when I see one, especially one in uniform at the airport, and it warms my heart when I see others doing the same thing--.taking the time to talk to and thank these men and women who are sacrificing everything and risking their lives (and sometimes losing them) for us, our country and freedom everywhere. Whatever anyone's opinion is about the war, these men and women deserve acknowledgement and appreciation for everything they're selflessly doing on behalf of other people.

It's great to see that you've made a full recovery and are once again able to enjoy the pleasures of the UW world. I'm glad you had a such a great time and I hope we'll cross paths again one day! :D

Ditto what Angie said..... your trip report made my day! Happy 4th of July to all!

Jean

cxg31s:
Hi Chuck! Your report brought tears to my eyes! I'm so glad there are still people out there who support our troops--the welcome home parties at the airport always make me cry. I try to thank a soldier when I see one, especially one in uniform at the airport, and it warms my heart when I see others doing the same thing--.taking the time to talk to and thank these men and women who are sacrificing everything and risking their lives (and sometimes losing them) for us, our country and freedom everywhere. Whatever anyone's opinion is about the war, these men and women deserve acknowledgement and appreciation for everything they're selflessly doing on behalf of other people.

It's great to see that you've made a full recovery and are once again able to enjoy the pleasures of the UW world. I'm glad you had a such a great time and I hope we'll cross paths again one day! :D

Hey gal good to hear from you. I think we are scheduled on a trip sometime in the future and I am really lookin forward to seeing you again. Take care you little sweetie you

chuck86:
Hey gal good to hear from you. I think we are scheduled on a trip sometime in the future and I am really lookin forward to seeing you again. Take care you little sweetie you

OMG you're right--I had forgotten that you're going with us! WHOO HOO! I can't wait--it will be great to see you, it's been too long! Give my best to Linda! :)

chuck86:
Once again Thanks to all our military people for making it so that we can do the things we do and most certainly too many times take for granted.

From one that served....amen.

VMFA-333
1978-82
Phantoms Phorever

See you in September, Cozumel.

Hey Chuck, it was great diving with you! Glad to see you made it back safely, and what happened at the airport is truly inspirational. I hope I see you again in Coz.

Bill Bramucci

Thanks Bill I do hope we meet up again sometime. It was great diving with you. Hope you got your cameras to work too!!!

Nice to meet you as well, Chuck! Nice story too. At Casa Mex there was a kid that was on his way TO Iraq next week. His sister (a Penthouse Club stripper from New Orleans, and that's a whole other part of the story) brought him down there for a week of diving and drinking and whatnot. He didn't seem all that fired up about it, but more or less resigned to the fact that he was on his way: it was hard to know what to say to the kid. I am not a proponent of war at all, and I am a card-carrying left-winger. However, I do support our troops, and once they are put in harm's way by the political forces that move them, they deserve our full and unconditional support, without any regard to politics or position. These are, for the most part, kids, some of which will come back, some back in pieces, and some not at all, and therein lies the reason why they should be praised and supported. CN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom