allegro resort cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhines

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to COzumel in Oct. To the Allegro Resort. Any good, bad thoughs about the resort. Been to Couzmel many times, never to an all inclusive.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi bhines,

Now the Occidental Allegro Resort, it's decent as far al all-inclusives go, although if that is what you want, the newer Iberostar farther to the south is nicer except for the beach, which somewhat rocky past the water line. Be aware that the Occidental is long way south of town, so plan on spending about $15-20 each way into town.

With so many good places to eat, party & see, I never saw the point of an all-inclusive on Coz. I mostly only do all-inclusives when they're the only game in town, e.g.. Fijiian outislands.

Here's my trip report from my one stay there some years ago:

"Parts of my first Allegro experience I remember well as I was alone, the walls are quite thin & it is very popular with newly weds--had several in the rooms around me. After that week I started carrying a picture of my right hand in my wallet.

In any event, it's an all inclusive, with all of the pros & cons that automatically implies. It is my general recommendation to save all-inclusives for locations where there are not lots of places to eat, party, shop, stroll about, etc. Coz certainly has no shortage of such diversions. On the other hand, there's something nice about not having to reach for the hip for an entire week, save the odd gratuity or two. I find the staff to be friendly, courteous & professional--especially the bartenders.

The Allegro has an exceptionally nice beach by Coz resort standards. Rooms are not well insulated & can be noisy, but are decent size with nice bathrooms & good A/C. Kept very clean. Other potentially irritating aspects of Diamond are such things as water aerobics to loud music, such as old Kate Smith renditions of the "Macarena," played over cheesy speakers.

Evening "entertainment" so vapid & insipid as to almost not qualify for the term. It is, however, good for occupying kids in the evening if you are bringing them. Speaking of kids, place also has a childrens' program & sitting service.

For eating, the buffet is extensive & has high quality things, although it gets boring after a week. There are two adult only sit down restaurants, Italian & Mexican, which are decent, but not up in town possibilities like Prima Pasta, La Cocay, Pancho's Backyard & El Morro. Need reservations.

Dive op is Dive Palancar. Professional & orderly with nice, well-equipped boats, but serves a mixed crowd, including lots of newbies, so expect "lowest common denominator " diving. Allegro is situated well south & close to many of the best dives, so rides are short & you usually return to shore for SI. Little leeway for more advanced divers. Can snorkel & do tune up dives right off shore, although there really is not much to see. If you are an experienced diver who wants to dive his own profile & see some of the more challenging sites, I'd suggest another op, like Deep Blue or Careyitos. Nearly all ops will pick you up at the Allegro dock.

You are the second southernmost resort, so rent a car/motor scooter to get into town. Allegro a shuttle, but it does not run very late."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I was there a few years ago, we did a week at Alegro Playa De Carman then a week at Alegro Cozumel.

I found it to be wonderfull, we have two kids and there was lots for them, the food was fantastic, and the shows great too.

all and all when i go back to Cozumel I will stay at the same place.

Bob-

Our family stayed at the Allegro last summer and found it to be quite nice. It is especially nice for families with kids...but we did not find that the kids were always under feet. The location is the most perfect thing about the resort. VERY close to the primo dive spots and as several have mentioned, you can be diving 10 minutes after leaving the dock. I would reccomend renting a jeep as that is the best way to get back and forth from town plus you are able to do some exploring on your own. We did not use the hotel dive shop becasue we wanted to do more personal dives and went with a smaller outfit in town that we had dove with before called Sea Scuba (very nice people). Food at the resort is just that....resort food. I think you can get better variety and quality in town but you have already paid for it !

Have fun.

Chuck

Hi Bob
When are you going in October? I just booked a trip Oct 6 for my husband and I. We were considering the Allegro. It was an even better deal than the Iberostar. We went with the Iberostar because it's a newer hotel, we have seen it before (on a previous trip to Mexico) and it had slightly better reviews.
It was a hard decision as the Allegro also had good reviews.
As long as the weather is good, the diving is good, the food is decent - I'll be happy.
One thing I read: bring a good bug repellant and afterbite.
Hope you have fun - tell all when you return.

Back
Top Bottom