topside activities in CZM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj

Contributor
Reaction score
we are going to Cozumel for the first time over labor day weekend. already got the hotel and dive covered. however the last day we are there we aren't going to be diving for obviouse reasons. can someone suggest some topside activites to do while there? we are staying in San Miguel so I am pretty sure we will have already been shopping and local stuff like that. we are looking to do something on the island.

not to big on the tourist tours that are a bus full of people on a guided tour, if they even have that there. we are more looking at renting a car maybe and exploring. take the car to the ruins or something. wouldn't mind renting a jeep and heading off into the jungle too if that's allowed :)

any suggestions? or links to good sites with suggestions?

Thanks

Rent a jeep and head south. Check out the other side of the island. Its nice.

Contact Adrian
http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/sub/activities-pips.asp
He is awesome. We took a tour with him and it was probably our favorite day on the island. He is so fun to hang out with, lots of smiles and laughs!!! He took us by boat to a Myan ruin on the north side of the island and then to Punta Molas lighthouse. It was absolutly great! You can view my pictures with the link under my signature....
He also has a restaurant called Especias. Many people rave about it and about him, unfortunately we were not able to eat there during our stay as it was under construction.
But you cant go wrong if you want a guided tour with him. He works with whatever you want, or would like to see/do.

If you're diving with one of the smaller operators you will likely be doing your surface intervals at one of the southern beach clubs everyday, so, on your non-diving day, if you want to see another part of the island, rent a car and head to the east side. Beautiful coastline, fun beach bars.

Or if you want to see ruins other then the small sites on Cozumel, take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen and head to Tulum. You can grab a cab to Tulum for about $30 each way, or, a bus from the terminal (about 5 min walk from the ferry) for about $5. They used to sell a package for roundtrip bus and entrance fee that was around $15-20pp. You'll have to do some online searching to find that info. (And the beach at Tulum is one of the most picturesque you see anywhere along the Riviera Maya)

I second the vote for the museum. It's small, but really worthwhile. They also have a decent cafe' outside on the second floor. We like to eat breakfast there. They have a Spanish menu and an English menu, which have different items. Order from the Spanish menu if you can. A self-conducted tour of the east side is cool. I keep trying to make it to the park at the south end of the island, but keep getting distracted by other things. Seeing the ruins at San Gervaiso (in the middle of the island) is worthwhile. Taking the ferry to Playa is a good idea, too. We love Playa. If you go over to the mainlaind, you could rent a car and go to Tulum, the only archaelogical site in a gorgeous setting on the coast.

scubasherry:
Contact Adrian
http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/sub/activities-pips.asp
He is awesome. We took a tour with him and it was probably our favorite day on the island. He is so fun to hang out with, lots of smiles and laughs!!! He took us by boat to a Myan ruin on the north side of the island and then to Punta Molas lighthouse. It was absolutly great! You can view my pictures with the link under my signature....
He also has a restaurant called Especias. Many people rave about it and about him, unfortunately we were not able to eat there during our stay as it was under construction.
But you cant go wrong if you want a guided tour with him. He works with whatever you want, or would like to see/do.
My wife and I ate there last year when we went.... a bit pricey but the seafood was great.

Adrian invited us to a local party that night but we were too tired to make it. He was a pretty nice guy.

cyclical:
My wife and I ate there last year when we went.... a bit pricey but the seafood was great.

Adrian invited us to a local party that night but we were too tired to make it. He was a pretty nice guy.

He's got a new place now. It's open air on the second floor, and it's about a block from Capi Navegante. Same great food, same great service.

ggunn:
He's got a new place now. It's open air on the second floor, and it's about a block from Capi Navegante. Same great food, same great service.

Does he still have Especias?

Do you know what his new place is called?

cyclical:
Does he still have Especias?

Do you know what his new place is called?

It's the new location of Especias. If you start at Capi Navegante and walk toward the square, take a left at the first corner, go about half a block, and look on your left, you'll see it. His logo is the same , and a sign hangs out over the sidewalk.

It's still small, but it's a really neat place, upstairs from a sort of art shop (it was closed when we went there to eat).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom