Taking Prescription Meds Thru Customs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montanagal

Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who have gone thru Customs in Cozumel with prescription medication, have you ever had any problems?
My husband will be bringing his prescription medication and we were wondering if we needed to have something from his doctor stating this is medication that is prescribed by a doctor and what for?
I understand one is not always stopped going thru Customs, but just in case we get the red light, just want to be prepared.

1. Must be in Pharmacy Bottle With Your Name, etc.

2. Take as Carry On In Case Your Luggage Gets Lost!

Mike

Rush Limbaugh? Is that you? You know your real name has to be on those drugs when you go through Imigration and Customs. :D

i've never had any problems anywhere i've been, but not to Cozumel

mine are in prescription bottles. they've been looked at, but never checked to see
if the name matches mine ... ymmv

I've taken prescription meds all over the world. Most in labeled bottles and some just in convenient little pill cases. Three or four bottles of different things isn't going to raise eyebrows. Just don't try taking industrial sized bottles of oxycontin and you're probably going to be fine.
It's not a big deal at all.

scubamickey:
I've taken prescription meds all over the world. Most in labeled bottles and some just in convenient little pill cases. Three or four bottles of different things isn't going to raise eyebrows. Just don't try taking industrial sized bottles of oxycontin and you're probably going to be fine.
It's not a big deal at all.

Is Sudafed still a potential problem? I had heard that in the last year or so someone was detained in a Mexican airport for having a fairly minor amount of Sudaded (pseudoephedrine) in their possession.

Thank you for your replies. I asked the question because I have been to Russia 8 times and just taking meds in a prescription bottle with your name is not enough. One must take a notarized letter from your doctor stating what the medication is and what it is prescribed for. This is done in case one does get stopped and to help with getting to keep your medication.

When I landed there a few weeks ago, they weren't doing the redlight/greenlight thing. The light was there, they just weren't using it. They had everybody run their luggage through the same type of x-ray machine that they use at security when entering the terminal. I carried through several bottles of vitamins, along with a two week supply of Sudafed, and they never blinked an eye. Of course, YMMV.

How about a syringe and an umarked vial with a clear liquid?

(my allergy shot, I get to give them to myself every Monday night, and I will be in Cozumel from Friday-Wed)

crap...guess I will take it wed night.

Firefyter:
. I carried through several bottles of vitamins, along with a two week supply of Sudafed, and they never blinked an eye. Of course, YMMV.
As I understand it what is controlled in Mexico very closely is straight, unadulterated Sudafed/Psuedoephedrine. If it's combined with Tylenol, antihistamines, etc. it can't as easily be used in a meth lab and doesn't raise the same sort of concerns as the pure stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom