seasigns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTony

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am going to become a Seasign instructor down here in Cozumel.
http://www.seasigns.com/
I was thinking long and hard about this and wondering if it would catch on? The course is supposed to take 3-4 hours to complete and be pretty easy. Apparently it is like baby talk in sign language and lets you get your point across pretty completely. It could be taught at a restaurant or something after a fine dinner and not too many margs.
The idea is if I got a bunch of DM's/instructors and return divers using it wouldn't it be fun? Imagine being part tight community of regular divers that could all chat up a storm while diving. It would add a new dimension to your diving in Cozumel. With so many regular divers coming back over and over I think this would be the perfect test bed for such an idea? What do you think? Would you (as a Coz junkie) be willing to take the course? Do you think it could catch on big here? And if lots of Cozumel divers started maybe it could go big in other popular dive destinations? It is not about making money. It is about bringing a new dimension to the already great diving here in Cozumel. We already do it but to a much simpler to degree with our buddies. Most of us have an innate communication with our regular dive buddies anyway. What if you could do it with everyone you were in the water with?
Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Maybe I should have made this a pole?
Tony

Hi Tony! Ha, ha....I didn't know you posted on here also. Cool!
Hey, I think your becoming a Seasigns instructor is a very cool idea. I would love to communicate better underwater and I have actually checked out their website before and thought about ordering it. We had some deaf people get certified at our local dive shop. They brought a translater for the classes and the instructor that certified them said they were probably his best ever and most relaxed students becasue they could communicate better underwater than any others could.

Talks to ya soon

Sherry

I've taken some specialty courses that were far less useful, I'd be interested.
BTW you may want to let people know that this is a recognized specialty course.

Is there a version of seasigns that only uses one hand when the other is occupied with, say, a dive light?

Dave

Interesting. I didn't see anything on the PADI site about recognizing this as a specialty, though.

ReefHound:
Interesting. I didn't see anything on the PADI site about recognizing this as a specialty, though.

Why would this matter?

Walter:
Why would this matter?
So you can get a c-card after your 3 hrs.

This isn't like nitrox where you can't make a specific dive if you don't have a card. If you and your buddy learn the material, you can communicate more effectively. That's it. A card isn't needed. What's a buddy going to say, "I don't care if you did study Sea Signs, I won't sign to you unless you can show me your Sea Signs c-card!"?

Walter:
This isn't like nitrox where you can't make a specific dive if you don't have a card. If you and your buddy learn the material, you can communicate more effectively. That's it. A card isn't needed. What's a buddy going to say, "I don't care if you did study Sea Signs, I won't sign to you unless you can show me your Sea Signs c-card!"?
Well...It will get the diver one step close to his Master Diver Cert card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom