Best way to experience Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarcazmo

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've been saving up a bit of money for a dive trip, and as soon as I get my refresher in and my GF becomes certified, I'd like to start planning a trip to Cozumel.

I've started looking at different dive centers, and for the most part, they all seem reasonably similar. A friend of mine recommended Scuba Club Cozumel and that looks like it might be the place we go to.

I've also begun looking for airline tickets, but it seems that many of them have LONG (16+) hour layovers. I was wondering if there was a better way of looking for tickets? Or go through a travel agent for an all-in-one type deal?

Thanks in advance!

Check out the dive magazines. A lot of them have decent deals on all inclusives in Cozumel. You can also check out Continental Airlines. They offer all inclusives, too.

We went through expedia this year. Plus you could check out last minute deals from worryfreevacations.com

However, where are you flying out of?

Go through DFW and you can fly into Cozumel direct. I am sure you can get a flight from Phoenix to DFW in time to meet the plane to Coz? If not, you can go to Cancun and take the ferry over from Playa del Carmen, or I have the numbers of a small air group that flies between Cancun and Cozumel a few times a week (of course you have to go on the days they fly)...

Can't help ya on the airfare but I can tell you one thing... The best way to experience Cozumel is NOT by staying at an All-Inclusive.

Get out, explore the town and the restaurants... just my opinion. YMMV

Moodiejeff:
Can't help ya on the airfare but I can tell you one thing... The best way to experience Cozumel is NOT by staying at an All-Inclusive.

I second that!!!! No way can you experience the wonderful culture, food, sites, and island life by staying all inclusive. Cozumel is such a charming safe place to vacation it would be a shame in my opinion to spend the whole time at an AI
Best way to experience Cozumel.....
Stay at a B&B or just regular hotel... close to town or in town.
Eat meals out in town... many wonderful places to eat for all budgets... With diving being the number one reason most people go to Cozumel to vacation.... I have to imagine the great food is the second. I know I am starving right now!!:wink:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124024&highlight=Restaurant+list
Read this board and other Cozumel chat boards and you will come up with tons of great ideas.

Moodiejeff:

I also agree wholeheartedly with Jeff. IMHO, it's the only way to truly experience Cozumel. SCC has a good reputation, but, while it may be good for those who want to do 5 dives a day, it's not the best way to experience the "flavor" of Cozumel. There are so many great restaurants in Cozumel, I couldn't imagine eating All-inclusive buffet food for a week. Interacting with the locals is a big part of the experience, and the people of Cozumel are friendly and gracious. We were extraordinarily happy with the way we chose to do Coz in June. We stayed at the Casa Mexicana near the end of the downtown "strip," and dove with Blue XT~Sea, which is one of the boutique dive ops on the island. We loved the BXTS staff, and lived by Christi's restaurant list. There are others, like Liquid Blue, and Dive with Martin, but I have not experienced them first hand. The Casa Mexicana is clean, convenient, and serves up a great breakfast buffet that's included in the price of the room. We didn't have a bad meal, or a bad dive.

I will say one thing about all-inclusives... depending on what specials are available, sometimes you can save money even if the only things you will use the AI part for are drinks at poolside and breakfast. Personally, I am NOT a morning person, so I prefer to have breakfast at my own hotel, not getting up extra early to go out somewhere. I just went to Cozumel last week, and it was only about $15 a day more for the AI deal, compared with the other hotel we'd been looking at. Considering $4 a day for breakfast, 2-3 drinks while relaxing by the pool, a couple drinks while waiting for my friends to meet to go to dinner, and possibly a midday snack... it totally made up for it. Also, I was RAVENOUS after my first day diving, and we all dropped our equipment and attacked the buffet, still covered in saltwater, with wet clothes and all.

So, it can be worthwhile depending on the deal. All that being said, I do try to go out to as many different restaurants as possible when I go to Coz, because there are so many good ones! So, even if you go AI for the convenience, DO NOT eat every meal on the hotel property, or you will serisouly be missing out!

My husband and I just got back from Cozumel last Sat eve. We've been there 5 times in the last 2 years. We have always flown into Cancun and then taken the bus to Playa del Carmen where we pick up the ferry that takes us to Cozumel. The bus ticket is around 8 or 9 bucks and the ferry is 10 bucks. It saves you about 200 bucks a ticket. The plane ticket for us from Wash DC to Cozumel is around 650 and to Cancun is 450. For us it's a straight flight from DC to Cancun. I don't know where you live...check it out...it may work for you also.

We stay at a little villa called Villa Las Anclas. We paid 80 bucks a night...it's right in town...so you don't need a car rental cuz most days the owners (Pedro and Eyal) take you over to the dive shop that they own. It's called Blue Angel Dive Center. Lucio is a fantastic DM. We had him all week in a boat with 6 divers. Great diving!!! You will love it!!! Let me know what you decide to do.

Pam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom