Cozumel Dive Op Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BackDocDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Going to Cozumel soon and staying at the Hotel Cozumel. Their website states that Dive Paradise, Aqua Safari, Dive House, Del Mar Aquatics and Scuba Du (Ocean Tours now, I believe) all pick up at the hotel. Is there anyone out there that has any recommendations for these Dive Ops (or recommendations to stay away from)? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stacy
BackDocDiver

--I feel the urge...the urge to submerge.

Welcome to the board....We have stayed at Hotel Cozumel and Resort many times and always use Dive Paradise. They are on property and have great DM's. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with Dive Paradise and Hotel Cozumel's food has gotten better every year. Have a great trip!

Actually, any dive operator can pick you up at the Hotel Cozumel pier. The ones they list are ones they offer packages with.

Did you want to dive with a large resort operator or are you looking for a smaller shop that will have no more then 6-7 divers on the boat?

I've had great dives with Living Underwater and Liquid Blue. Both have 6 divers per boat, sites are selected based on where the group wants to go, all dives are computer dive and you will get max bottom time. No extra charge for the southern most sites or northern reefs (but they will not take you to the most advanced sites until they see how you dive) If either of those ops weren't available my next choice would be Blue XT Sea.

I have not dived with Dive Paradise, but it's my understanding that to get a small group with them you have to book their "EDP" trips (Experienced Diver Program?).

The great thing about Cozumel as a dive destination is that there is are accommodations and dive operators to suit pretty much every preference and budget. You aren't restricted to the resort and their on-site op like in some destinations.

I am looking for a smaller dive boat if possible. I am going with a buddy from college and we are both relatively new divers, so a little more person attention might not hurt. But 8 or 10 probably wouldn't hurt either. Recommendations appreciated. As far as different dive ops, I thought I would just make it easy on myself and use one that is offered there as long as there is a good one. Thanks for the replies so far. Nothing better that drawing from others superior knowledge.

When are you going? I'll be there Aug 2-7.

If you need extra attention there is no substitute for hiring a personal DM.

Smaller boats may not always give you more personal attention as they are often oriented to the more experienced diver, who wants to get to the more advanced sites faster and avoid the cattle boats. In any event, Dive Paradise offers a variety of trips, including smaller boats.

BackDocDiver:
I am looking for a smaller dive boat if possible. I am going with a buddy from college and we are both relatively new divers, so a little more person attention might not hurt. But 8 or 10 probably wouldn't hurt either. Recommendations appreciated. As far as different dive ops, I thought I would just make it easy on myself and use one that is offered there as long as there is a good one. Thanks for the replies so far. Nothing better that drawing from others superior knowledge.

Above all, make sure that the dive op has accurate information as to the degree of your experience well before time to get on the boat. Most Coz dive ops can be accomodating to just about any experience level, but they have to know.

Yes, I'll second the recommendation for Dive Paradise as long as you get on the smaller faster boats. Their DMs have always been professional and friendly with us and they are open to where you want to go. Their larger slower boats are annoyingly slow IMHO and will flood the reef you are on with divers....cattle call! Make sure you specify your preference with them if you choose them. I believe they are charging a few extra bucks for the small fast boats.

Mark

The trips we went diving in Cozumel, we used Deep Blue. My dive buddy and I both like them. Fast, small boats as well! Sandro is a crack-up DM!!

I'll third Dive Paradise. Last year we stayed at the Palace (great place), they picked us up in the morning from the hotel pier, four to six divers to one DM, always asked where we wanted to go, dove to our time limits (60-70 mins), SI on a stretch of beach then back to the Palace pier. Did a night dive as well. Very professional and well organized. One word of caution about the fast boats. If you are prone to sea sickness, they will have you hurling in no time. My GF found that out on the first day. Also, bring some protection from the sun because there is no shade on the boats.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I am looking for a smaller dive boat if possible

I really liked Dive with Martin. We had only 4-6 divers on the boat and they did whatever we wanted...pick up at our dock, lunch at whatever resort we wanted to SI.

maybe we just got lucky and they are usually busier, I am not sure. the boats were very small, pick-ups no problem, etc... easy on the 'rules" etc.

We had David as the DM.

Back
Top Bottom