Jellys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been to Cozumel a few times and have never seen a jellyfish. But before I leave the diveskin at home, I thought I better ask.

Are there jellyfish in Cozumel in July?

In the future, I will never, ever deny my wife's request to add her skin (or any other piece of equipment) she wishes to pack.
She got a nasty jelly sting in June, 05. I am reminded of this each and every time we pack our bags.
For what it weighs, it's cheap insurance. Take it.
Craig-

ckofabq:
In the future, I will never, ever deny my wife's request to add her skin (or any other piece of equipment) she wishes to pack.
She got a nasty jelly sting in June, 05. I am reminded of this each and every time we pack our bags.
For what it weighs, it's cheap insurance. Take it.
Craig-

It's not a matter of weight...I just don't like wearing one in warm water.

:)

We do have jellyfish, but they are very small, not dangerous, and not prolific. Different people react differently to them if coming in contact with them. The typical reaction is slight skin irritation for an hour or less. A dive skin does not provide any thermal protection, so wearing it in warm water won't make you too "warm." It is a good idea to wear at least a skin for exposure protection however.

The range of the cubomedusa (box jellyfish or sea-wasps) includes Cozumel. This is an often small and unnoticed jelly that can sting very badly, even rarely kill.

Thalassamania:
The range of the cubomedusa (box jellyfish or sea-wasps) includes Cozumel. This is an often small and unnoticed jelly that can sting very badly, even rarely kill.

There are no reports or evidence of box jellies in Cozumel. I would be interested to know what reference you have that Cozumel is within the geographic range for this animal. Everything I have read and looked up indicates that they are only in Northern Australia, Indonesia, and occasionally in the southern Hawaiian islands.

Christi:
There are no reports or evidence of box jellies in Cozumel. I would be interested to know what reference you have that Cozumel is a habitat for these. Eerything I have read and looked up indicates that they are only in Northern Australia, Indonesia, and occasionally in the southern Hawaii.
In response to rising conflicts, the cubomedusa faction is now in control of the Panama canal. A travel advisory is in effect for the entire Caribbean regon. It is recomended that all travelers wear pantyhose when diving in these locations :wink:.

Seriously, I rarely see anything but thimble jellfish in Cozumel.

James

The Sea Wasp (Carybdea alata), is found in the West Indies and Caribbean. It is a potentially dangerous jellyfish, especially to some individuals, although not as deadly poisonous as the Pacific Sea Wasp (Chironex fleckeri). It is reported off Cozumel, thought I've only seen it in the Bahamas.

It is a box jellyfish (Cubomedusae) with a small, four-sided, bell- shaped body, up to 2 by 3 inches, though often resembling a one inch "cube." Its four tentacles average about 12 inches long, one attached to each bottom corner of the body.

The sea wasp jellyfish is another jellyfish found in Mexican coral reefs. This jelly is potentially dangerous and is box – shaped. Its four tentacles are each a foot long. Try to avoid it. - Link

Refering to Bonaire: Over the years I have seem several box jellies, particularly Carybdea (sea wasp Genus). As mentioned earlier we are hunting down what is probably a new species of jelly with 4 banded tentacles we are affectionately called the "Banded Bonaire Box Jelly". There have been 3 sightings in the past 2 years and a 4th ten years earlier. - Link

Thalassamania:
The Sea Wasp (Carybdea alata), in the found in the West Indies and Caribbean, is a potentially dangerous jellyfish, especially to some individuals, although not as deadly poisonous as the Pacific Sea Wasp (Chironex fleckeri). It is reported off Cozumel, thought I've only seen it in the Bahamas.

It is a box jellyfish (Cubomedusae) with a small, four-sided, bell- shaped body, up to 2 x 3 inches, though often resembling a one inch "cube." Its four tentacles average about 12 inches long, one attached to each bottom corner of the body.

Can you provide a reference to this? I'd be interested to read more about this. I've never seen them or heard of any reports of them here...I even spoke to to the local FISH ID guru.

Back
Top Bottom