Staying at Occidental Grand August 27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby_M

Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone is going to be diving solo the week of Aug 27th and wants a competent buddy, let me know. I'm staying at Occidental Grand with my non diving wife and will probably be using Palancar (on site).

Bobby

We're staying at the Grand, but will be leaving a few day before you get there. If you haven't been there, the Grand is great. We loved the facility, and I loved being so close to all the good dive sites. When we stayed close to town we had a 30 boat trip each morning, but at the Grand it's about 5 mins and you're there. Have fun!

Got back from there Sat and dove with Palancar last week. It was great!

Have fun.

I stayed at the Allegro next door to the Grand and dove with Palancar Divers. The laziest dive masters I've ever gone with. Not interested in pointing out anything of note nor taking you through the swim-throughs.

As an example, we dove Santa Rosa Wall which has a number of swim-throughs but the Palancar Divers way of doing this great dive is to simply drift by the wall and that was it.

Perhaps others' experiences differ from mine but I will never dive with them again.

There are other well-recommended dive services to go with than put up with lazy resort dive masters who don't give a crap.

ouachita:
I did not go anywhere with swim throughs but the divemasters we had took great effort to point out everything.

If you dove a week in Cozumel and didn't see any swim-throughs, it's because the DM didn't take you through them for whatever reason...not because they aren't there. They are spectacular and one of the main attractions and highlights to Cozumel diving.

There are numerous swim throughs at:
Santa Rosa
Cedral Pass (1 main swim through)
Palancar Gardens
Palancar Horseshoe
Palancar Caves
Palancar Bricks
Columbia
Punta Sur (Cathedrals and Devils Throat)

I should have stated that I did not do any swimthroughs. Could the fact that I told them before the first dive that I didn't like swimthroughs and would not do them have anything to do with why they didn't take me to any? No overhead period no matter how small for me.The wife is another story as nothing bothers her.

We did some wonderful wall diving and I got to take lots of pictures which was my goal.

My comment was directed at the fact that I found Dive Palancar to be very professional and attentive.

I know there are a lot of swim thrus there, Christie.And as a matter of fact, Jerry, I got in my share of the effortless drift diving I enjoy. Saw the most sea life I have ever seen, as well as the most beautiful reefs.

Cozumel is the best vacation we have ever had. Beautiful dives, very friendly people. Great place for kids.

We hope to go back every year, and I hope to get my 10 year old son started in the pool there next year.

I stayed at the Grand in February, 2006. The Dive Palancar Dive Masters (since 1994 including the Allegro) took us through swimthroughs when the current allowed us to do this.

Perhaps you should mention this to Carlos when you go to the Dive Shop at the Grand when you arrive. He would want to know this!!!

Mike

Bobby_M:
If anyone is going to be diving solo the week of Aug 27th and wants a competent buddy, let me know. I'm staying at Occidental Grand with my non diving wife and will probably be using Palancar (on site).

Bobby

Bobby,
I think the Occidental Grand is the perfect place for you.

Back
Top Bottom