Is night dive for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's your definition of a beginner?

If you're just out of an O/W class, I would suggest putting it off until you've gotten a better handle on day time stuff. It might be the easiest dive you ever do, but if you have any problems, night situations can make them somewhat harder to deal with.

it all depends on your comfort level, how long have you been divivg? or better yet how many dives do you have and how comfortable are you ???? if it is and i asume so, to be your first night dive have a buddy you trust very well, and one with some real good experience, and one that will be at your side at all times, night diving is awsome, but i do remember how eery it was for me on the first one, now i enjoy a night dive maybe even more then day dives. you must be comfortable and know your skills well just in case there is a problem!!!

We just did a night dive in Cozumel last week and it was our first as well. It was the greatest dive to date. We only had about 15 dives under our belt and we went ahead and did it. We had no problems and we just coasted along like it was in daylight. Get yourself a nice flashlight and you are set.

Don't worry about the eery things down there. You you feel right at home once you are in the water! Go for it! You will kick yourself millions time over if you don't do it!

Confessions from a night-diving scardey-catI've got a couple of hundred dives under my belt and have only done two night dives. Reason: during my AOW training I found I became very disoriented and panicky because I didn't know what was coming up next (was concerned I was going to swim smack into a coral head or worse). Barfed on the surface when I ascended due to nerves. Having now dived the area between Villa Blanca and Caribe Blu by myself many, many times, I am thinking I MIGHT be ready to try a night dive there. Others may have different experiences, but I'd leave night diving alone until you are good with the daytime stuff.

Thanks to everyone. I think I'll just leave night dive to my future visits to Cozumel. This time I'll just try morning dive out.

I did a night dive on Paradise for my first night dive. It is fairly shallow and an awesome dive. If you start just as it is getting dark it really isn't all that disorienting. Your light will really help with orientation. You will LOVE the crab, octopus, and lobster on the reef. The bio-luminesience (sp?) is really neat.

The hardest part will be holding the safety stop at the end. Just watch your computer to hold depth. It is like instruement flying. Trust that depth gauge. If you do it I don't think you will regret it unless you are easily disoriented. If you think you will need it hire your own DM. It is worth it.

I must say, when I was surfacing with my girlfriend, she became disoriented. Of course she clung to me and stared at my gauge for reference.

Just follow your bubbles like you've been told in O/W instruction. And of course, you can easily see the surface from any part of a Cozumel dive... day or night.

I thought I was going to be scared to death, but it turned out just fine. For fun, we did a 'night snorkel' in front of the pier at our hotel. Found some cool critters too.

Plus like mentioned before, you usually go in at dusk so you get enough light to figure out what's going on.

I vote for you to go night diving

I just had my 5th through 10th dives in Cozumel, including my 1st night dive. When my friend suggested the night dive, I looked at my instructor and asked her if she thought I should, because I didn't know if it was good for a newbie. She said "SURE!" She said as long as I felt comfortable, and kept close to the DM, it would be fine. Her husband went on the dive with us, and he is a DM, so I kept close by him, and it was just fine. It was an AMAZING experience. I think you will LOVE it if you think your comfort level will let you enjoy it. If you are too nervous, then wait and do it another time.

divingisfun:
Will night dive be hard for beginners?

My 11 year-old's 7th open water dive after he got his junior scuba diver (not open water) certification was a night dive in Cozumel. It was the only dive I''ve gotten scared on since my light failed and we got separated from the group (details posted elsewhere). My kid loved it, all 10 minutes of it. Once everyone aborted, got back together, and went to a site with a little less current we had an absolutely great night dive. He's a great fan of them. In Cozumel they typically go to the shallowest sites with (usually) low current for night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom