Dive video question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mojorizn

New
Reaction score
Diving Cozumel Aug 06. This will be our 4th trip.
Need opinion on Diving videos.

Looking to have video of several of our dives.
Options:

1. Buy the video of each dive ($$$)

2. Rent a UW video camera for our entire stay
( then have to put more effort into the camera than enjoying the dive)

3. Hook up with our dive shop for a "rate" for multiple dives.

I want the raw footage, do my own editing, etc.

Opinions wanted --

Thanks

Mojorizn:

You don't want to do that. As a bit of an amatuer videographer myself, the last thing I'd want to do is be encumbered by a video cam on every dive. There are guys down there who freelance with different ops to shoot dives, and their stuff is pretty good; they shoot on spec and offer edited video to the people who were on the dive.. Money talks, and I'm sure you could make a deal to get the raw footage, but capturing every dive is probably a bit much, unless you want to spend the money to hire one of them as your personal videographer. I'm sure that any dive op can put you in touch with any number of these guys.

ggunn:
You don't want to do that. As a bit of an amatuer videographer myself, the last thing I'd want to do is be encumbered by a video cam on every dive. There are guys down there who freelance with different ops to shoot dives, and their stuff is pretty good; they shoot on spec and offer edited video to the people who were on the dive.. Money talks, and I'm sure you could make a deal to get the raw footage, but capturing every dive is probably a bit much, unless you want to spend the money to hire one of them as your personal videographer. I'm sure that any dive op can put you in touch with any number of these guys.

I'll agree with Gord......money talks. Having been a professional photographer/videographer at one point of my life I would certainly hand you the raw footage than do an editing job. I used to be in broadcast tv as an editor and personally I would just rather shoot.....ask around the island! I may be there one day in my retirement doing just that in Coz...that was the plan at one time.

Ron

I doubt they actually have very much "raw" footage available. Most of the inhouse videographers shoot a bit of the people on individual dives a new animal or two and then put it all together with stock footage they have on hand.

Personally I like taking a vid camera on every dive and then do all my stuff at home - for me it really extends my vacation time even when I'm back and at work.

I'd say buy the video from the guys you are diving with. Let them know if there are specifics you want and they will most likley try to accommodate.

If you are going to buy unedited footage, prepare to pay more for it than the edited copy. All footage captured is copyright of the person who shot it (unless you arrange a different contract). My first choice in your situation, if I understand it correctly, would be to hire someone to capture footage of/for me and then give me the rights to do what I wanted with it. Those rights/costs need to be negotiated.

Unless you have express permission to re-edit or alter or use the footage - edited or not - you will be in violation of copyright and that's not fair to the guys shooting.

Or if you want the raw footage for less, rent your own camera and shoot away. It is hard to get great footage, but you may be happy with your efforts especially if you have quite a few dives to get it right in.

When I wanted a video I asked a lot of questions and ended up using one recommended / supplied by the dive operator (Dive Paradise). "Joe" was the videographer and he told me if I did not like the video when he showed it to me (8 PM the same day) I wouldn't have to pay him. The video blew me away and I gladly paid him. And, he edited it so that I actually looked like I knew what I was doing ! :14:

If folks knew who you were diving with they may be able to make specific recommendations.

NAIBdiver1:
I doubt they actually have very much "raw" footage available. Most of the inhouse videographers shoot a bit of the people on individual dives a new animal or two and then put it all together with stock footage they have on hand.

Um, no, not so, at least in my experience. I have bought three or four of the videos shot by freelancers who were diving with us, and every bit of the footage (except maybe what was running behind the credits) came from the dives they shot with us. If it were as you describe, I wouldn't have been the slightest bit interested in buying them. Who would? Most of them also have "best of" videos available, but they market them as such.

alcina:
Unless you have express permission to re-edit or alter or use the footage - edited or not - you will be in violation of copyright and that's not fair to the guys shooting.

Come on. Fair use Copyright clauses allow purchasers of
copyrighted material to make personal copies.
If this is for his personal use, he can do anything he
wants with the footage. Change it, modify it, recolor it, whatever.

Mojorizn:

Looking to have video of several of our dives.
Options:

1. Buy the video of each dive ($$$)

3. Hook up with our dive shop for a "rate" for multiple dives.

I want the raw footage, do my own editing, etc.

Opinions wanted --

Thanks

Who are you diving with and how many people are in your group? These two factors are just starters to the logistics involved.

Depending on who you are diving with, you may or may not be able to call your dive sites (in other words know what dive sites you are diving in advance if you have certain dives you want to have video of).

The dive shop may or may not have a videographer on staff. Most do not so standard procedure is to hire a freelancer. In that case, they set the prices, not the dive shop...so negotiations are directly with the videographer, not the shop.

Standard videogrpaher pricing is based on a two-tank trip, so be prepared to pay him/her for each two tank dive they go on with you unless you can negotaite a multi-day rate with them. Just remember, their time is valuable and they should be compensated fairly for it.

Depending on who you are diving with, they may or may not have room on the boat for a videographer. No shop is going to give up a space for a paying diver for the videographer. Typically, if there is space on board for the videographer, operators will allow them to go along at no additioanl cost. However, if they have to turn away a paying diver for the videogrpaher, be prepared to pay for a space, (or at least a portion of the space of a diver) on the boat for the videographer. This would apply more to the small boat operators. The larger boats typically have enough space to have an extra diver on board with no problem. The trade-off there is that there are more people which gives you less of an option of where you're diving. If the shop has a set dive schedule, then even less choice.

The point is that it seems as if you have some very specific requests..so no one on this board can REALLY answer your questions accurately. The best thing to do is talk to your dive op and the videographer to see what kind of arrangements they can work out for you. If your requests are logistically possible, the dive op and videographer will most likely be able to accommodate your requests.

alcina:
If you are going to buy unedited footage, prepare to pay more for it than the edited copy. All footage captured is copyright of the person who shot it (unless you arrange a different contract). My first choice in your situation, if I understand it correctly, would be to hire someone to capture footage of/for me and then give me the rights to do what I wanted with it. Those rights/costs need to be negotiated.

Actually I used to charge less for something like that. We are not talking broadcast rights here... the tape goes to the client.No muss no fuss,here ya go Jack,my days over. The contract will state wether or not I require a credit or not.Time is money and money is time. Yep a slick production is nice but takes time,time that can be used to do other things...like head over to Mama and Papa Hoggs for a refreshment.

Christi...can you use me down there??? :)

Ron

Back
Top Bottom