Two Coz questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If the Presidente Intercontinental hasn't already reopend, will it be open by Christmas?

And how far from San Miguel is it?

The Intercontinental website says it will be open in October. It's maybe 15 minutes by car. It's not walking distance. To get into town you would want to take a cab or rent a car. I stayed there a few years ago and rented a car for the week.

Thanks divingjd,
My quandry is that my wife really prefers a sandy beach, so I'm considering the Presidente. I OTOH, could care less about sand and would rather be within walking distance from town, shopping and the good food, so I was leaning towards the Palace, which I understand, has no beach.

60 pesos taxi ride for two. Done it many times.

divingjd:
The Intercontinental website says it will be open in October. .

I'd take that with a grain of salt and not book anything until it's actually open.

Yeah ggun, I was thinking I'd wait until I saw something about it on this board before I booked.
And Mike, I'd read some reviews on some vacation websites, where the reviewers claimed they were paying 15-25 bucks for cab rides into town. 60 Pesos sounds mui better. And since I do plan on some traditional fiesta activity, I'd just as soon not drive down there at all.

Having seen it from the water last week, I'd be very skeptical of October. It's still a hollow, gutted shell. Though I will say it was crawling with workers most days, so they're definitely finally putting attention to it.

As for the Palace, definitely no beach, but beautiful property in a great location.

fishoutawater:
Yeah ggun, I was thinking I'd wait until I saw something about it on this board before I booked.
And Mike, I'd read some reviews on some vacation websites, where the reviewers claimed they were paying 15-25 bucks for cab rides into town. 60 Pesos sounds mui better. And since I do plan on some traditional fiesta activity, I'd just as soon not drive down there at all.

Are you sure they were talking about the Presidente? Cab fares are about that from the far south resorts (Iberostar, Reef Club, Allegro, Occidental), but not from the Presidente.

I agree with BurBunny! October is a very optimistic reopening date for the Presidente and I wouldn't count on it. I'd go so far to say that December is pushing it unless they make some dramatic progress in the next couple of months.

Cozumel Palace soesn't have a sloping sandy beach that goes directly into the water, but they do ave a manmade sandy area on the water with easy access into the water. They also have a big pool.

The only way you are going to get sandy sloping into the water beaches is to go far south...then you will be looking at the $15 to $20 cab rides each way into town as well as limited (to sites in front of or south of your hotel) dive site options.

Another option is Fiesta Americana. I've heard nothing but positive reviews from all of my divers who have stayed there since Wilma. Again, ironshore beach but they have a man,made sandy area with access to the water.

Hope this helps!

When we were in Cozumel in May, the beach in front of El Presidente was gone! Only iron shore is left. I don't know if they are going to truck in sand to replace it, but until they do, EP doesn't have a beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom