Looking for Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vegeta82

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to Coz from October 6 to the 9th and staying at the Coral Princess hotel..
Wanting to know a good dive op who will give me lots of bottome time and take me to goods spots. Planning on making 12 dives between boat and shore... Is shore diving at the coral princess ok??? IT is located pretty much due west I belive of downtown definetly not on the south part of the island.

Also what are some good restruants both mexican and seafood that are good but afforadable...

Also going to make a night dive any prefered opps for this dive or location to do it??

If it matters its my first coz trip but i a solid diver with over 40 dives in the past year and have drifted dived before. My buddy is a DM.

Thanks for all your help

I would search through the Cozumel forum for "dive op", there are many threads dealing with this topic. Seems everyone here has there favorites that they swear by, mine is Blue XT Sea diving.
http://www.bluextseadiving.com

I will be arriving on the 6th also and leaving on the 11th. Staying at Reef Club. Your hotel is about 1 and half miles north of the downtown plaza. Most operators do not pick up north of town, so you will have to taxi or rent a car.

I dive with Raul Platas of Bottom Time Divers. He will dive computer and air consumption. Underwater he goes slow--no swimming just let the current take you. This saves you air for looking at all the good stuff. Raul is famous for finding things others swim right over. Typical dive profile at 90' with slow accent up a wall would have you down over an hour if you good with air. Second dive would be 50-60' for 80-90 min with good air consumption. Raul's boat is a six pack and I will be on it Oct 7-10 I don't care where we go so with you and your dive buddy thats 3 votes for your dive site preference. Raul does not charge extra for far south dive sites. This is also slow season so we may be his only divers.
He will also keep your gear, rinse it, dry it, and set it up the next day. He formally worked for Blue Bubble for 12 years and a short time with Bluextsea before buying his own boat.

Your hotel has a sea wall and the current is usually pretty good in that area. Not much of a reef there and you would have to be a good swimmer to fight the current back to the ladder. If you do shore dive there go south first against the current then ride it back to the hotel. Cozumel is not known for its shore diving.

Do a search on this sit for Christi's restaurant list, There you will find many local spots that are good.

Hope to see you on Raul's boat. www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul's e-mail is raul_platas@yahoo.com

Lou

vegeta82:
Going to Coz from October 6 to the 9th...Planning on making 12 dives between boat and shore...

Maybe I am too conservtive but FWIW, if you are arriving on the 6th and leaving on the 9th, 12 dives are a lot. Even if some of them are shore dives. You are only going to have 2 1/2 days to dive, including the day you arrive.

Consider, you are going to get up in the middle of the night to get to the airport. And you probably did not get much sleep the night before. You are going to have two plane rides. The earliest you are going to get on the island is 11:30 AM. You are checked into your hotel by 12:30. You eat something and then do your first dive, probably a shore dive. Is that about right? You are going to be up for about 10 hours before you do your first dive. You are going be tired and probably not very well hydrated. Especially if you drank a lot of coffee to stay awake and a beer or caffeinated soda at lunch. If you go diving when you are tired and dehydrated, you are asking for trouble. If you are actually going to dive that schedule make sure you have dive insurance. .

Do a search on this Board and you will find posts from people who got bent from diving under the same conditions you will be putting yourself under. Good luck to you.

Sounds good thanks for all the info. If we end up going with Raul ill shoot you an email....

GC

12 is ambitious but heres how we are shooting for it. Arrive at 11;30 get settled in do a shore dive. relax eat do a night dive. Next day wake up do a 2 tank boat trip. Possibly a afternoon boat trip as well. if not we will shore dive in the afternoon. another night dive that evening. Next day typical of the previous day. So you are right 12 may be tough... but 10 is not...

vegeta82:
12 is ambitious but heres how we are shooting for it. Arrive at 11;30 get settled in do a shore dive. relax eat do a night dive. Next day wake up do a 2 tank boat trip. Possibly a afternoon boat trip as well. if not we will shore dive in the afternoon. another night dive that evening. Next day typical of the previous day. So you are right 12 may be tough... but 10 is not...

Your dates also fall on a weekend. I don't know of any shops that offer night dives on Sunday, and can't think of any off the top of my head that offer Saturday night dives... unless maybe you have enough people to fill a boat. It's hard to find DM's and Captains that want to work Saturday afternoon/evening or Sunday period...let alone an afternoon or night dive on Sunday.

Additionally, most ops won't do an afternoon boat dive with less than 4 people.

Cozumel has never been a shore diving haven, and even less so since the hurricane. It's mostly white sandy bottom along the shoreline and the currents can be very strong (not always, but it's not uncommon). You may find that one shore dive is enough, especially after you do a couple of boat dives and see the amazing reef structures and life. I would not recommend a night shore dive in fromt of Coral Princess because the currents there do get very strong and the houses and condos along the shoreline north of Coral Princess are private residences until you get to Playa Azul...which is quite a ways down...unless the onsite op at Coral Princess (Pepe Scuba) can tell you otherwise.

Probably the best shore dive is in front of Caribe Blu, and even then don't expect too much.

Most important, be safe. From your post I gather that you are a new diver (with 40 dives), if I misunderstood that, I apologize. Remember, diving isn't a race or a competition, so take it easy, don't dive beyond your limits or experience and you'll have many, many dives ahead of you.

Dont know how you do or dont define "new" but I am and "advanced PaDI Diver" made 50 dives this year some night some day. All in lakes with the exception of one river dive. So I am not a grizzly vet but not an OW student. My buddy is a DM.

Disappointed to hear my weekend night diving may not happen but such is life. I will pursue it anyway. If you dove the lakes I did you would realize that 80 foot of visability even if it is nothing more than white sand will be an awesome dive for me... You ocean dwellers or folks that can afford to make dive trips are spoiled in my eyes. I just got in from a night dive at lake Murray. 10 feet of vis which is good for that lake. So Ill take whatever I can get but I will be very safe and we wont be diving on monday when our plane leaves at 2:00 pm so we should be safe. Not sure how many dives we will get Ill let you know in early october but the number is irrelevant really. But i am used to making 4 dives daily when i go on all day trips locally here so I would expect about the same when diving in a Divers PAradise. But thanks for your input and hopefully the shore currents wont be to strong while I'm thier....

LAter

GC

As for restaurants there are tons. Get off the beaten track to find good values.

Within the first few blocks a lot of restaurants are similar priced to American city prices (YMMV).

Shops that do have scheduled afternoon dives tend to be the big boat operators based at the larger resort hotels. With them everything tends to be run on a schedule - weekly schedule of dive sites on specific days of the week, dives are a specific duration not based on your air consumption, etc. They do have 2 tank trips in the morning and afternoon as well as scheduled night dives on certain days, but, they tend to not visit some of the more advanced southern sites since it doesn't fit with their strict schedules.

In Cozumel, you will get the best diving experience if you booking with a small shop that takes 6-8 divers and runs one or two boats. They select the days sites based on the desire and ability of their divers. You'll dive your tank and computer and you'll have a long SI at a beach club. You'll depart by 8am and return after 2 dives around 1pm or a bit earlier. They don't schedule afternoon dives, but with their minimum required number of divers (check with the op to find out what that is), they will do a 2 tank twilight/night or a 1 tank night dive. With most of these ops your dives will be well over an hour each. You'll end up with as much bottom time doing a morning 2 tank trip as you would doing a 3-4 tanks with the big boat operations.

If your goal is to say you did x number of dives in 2 1/2 days, then don't stay north of town where your dive operator access is very limit and so are tanks for shore dives. You're going to spend a lot of time in a taxi or driving to meet a boat or getting to a shop for shore tanks. Stay at Hotel Cozumel, Fiesta Americana, Casa del Mar or one of the southern AI resorts and book your diving with the in-house cattle boat. They will get you out for 4 boat dives a day and you will access to tanks right at the hotel dock to cram in a shore dive. Or try Caribe Blu and Blue Angel. They are a good shop and I believe they do have afternoon trips, if you can make it back in time from the morning trip to catch it.

It's going to be hot and humid and you have a very ambitious plan. Please make time to get to Chedraui (big grocery store) when you arrive and stock up on lots of water and well balanced snacks that you can take with you during the day. In many ways, drift diving in Coz is much easier then lake and quarry diving, but don't just assume that the diving is going to be super easy for you. There are some very challenging sites with their combination of current, swim-throughs, coral formations, walls, depth, etc. 40-50 dives a year is great. I get in an avg of about 40-45. No matter where you do them or what your cert level, don't get too cocky and assume that you can jump in anywhere and immediately perform at the level of comfort and expertise you've mastered at your local dive sites that you can probably negotiate in your sleep at this point. Your buddy being a DM won't impress anyone or help you much either if he (or she) is not a Cozumel DM who is familiar with the local sites and conditions. If you get in a jam they won't know the site and/or changing conditions any better then you.

Cozumel is a great dive vacation destination. Do yourself a favor and book with a good dive operator and enjoy it. Don't get hung up on how many dives you do. Go for quality over quanitiy.

Back
Top Bottom