Villablanca Penthouse, Casa del Mar Cabana rooms or El Cantil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to decide where to stay in December for a week. I'd like something more then just a hotel room. And I like staying not too far out but south of town so we can get dive boat pick-up with no am taxi or drive involved.

I know these are 3 very different properties. I've stayed at Villablanca and Casa del Mar and liked them both. El Cantil would be a great splurge, but I'm wondering if it's really worth it if we're out diving at least half the day and like to go out for dinner most nights.

Any opinions of your stay at any of these, or other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

scubawife,
of y'alls three picks we have only stayed at one.
casa del mar.
of the 2 times there, we stayed in one of their cabanas.
it's like a small 2 story townhouse.
we normaly always go to different places, but in this case we've been there twice in a row.
they are very clean and have alot more amenities than their standard rooms.
the staff is what makes casa del mar special for us.
their attitude towards us is more like a welcomed guest vs a tourist.
i'm sure your other 2 choices are nice.
however, with cdm's ai option and $4 cab ride to town, one can go to other restaurants for dinner very economically.
regards,

If I had the money my pick would be El Cantil...never stayed there but from what I have seen....they look like they are worth the money IMO

We stayed at the El Cantil a couple of weeks ago. I can't compare it to your other choices as I have no knowledge but I know my wife and I won't look any further for a place to stay. Also, they are just opening up a new tower with some one bedroom condos which should be a little cheaper if that's all the room you need. If they haven't listed any info on their website call Albert and get the info. Great staff, very clean and lot's of room! Coz is just a great vacation spot!

subvet644:
We stayed at the El Cantil a couple of weeks ago. I can't compare it to your other choices as I have no knowledge but I know my wife and I won't look any further for a place to stay. Also, they are just opening up a new tower with some one bedroom condos which should be a little cheaper if that's all the room you need. If they haven't listed any info on their website call Albert and get the info. Great staff, very clean and lot's of room! Coz is just a great vacation spot!

I did see a 1 bedroom on the El Cantil site for a weekly rate of $1300, but if the availability calendar is correct, it's not available. I'll email or call and see if there's any others. The 2 bdrms are a bit more then I really want to spend once I add up what we'll also be spending on dives.

Did the Cabanas have a water cooler and a fridge? I liked Casa del Mar when I stayed there at the end of May. I had an oceanview room and it was fine, but no fridge which would have been nice. The cabanas were all occupied so I couldn't take a look at one. It was a very comfortable place and I was pleasantly surprised that the food was pretty good. The AI was the same price as the room but I still went to town most nights for dinner. The food and drink prices were very reasonable so it would be fine even without the AI for breakfast and lunch.

smokey braden:
scubawife,
of y'alls three picks we have only stayed at one.
casa del mar.
of the 2 times there, we stayed in one of their cabanas.
it's like a small 2 story townhouse.
we normaly always go to different places, but in this case we've been there twice in a row.
they are very clean and have alot more amenities than their standard rooms.
the staff is what makes casa del mar special for us.
their attitude towards us is more like a welcomed guest vs a tourist.
i'm sure your other 2 choices are nice.
however, with cdm's ai option and $4 cab ride to town, one can go to other restaurants for dinner very economically.
regards,

scubawife,
the cabanas have a kitchenette which include a fridge, sink, microwave and dishes.
this was nice because if we ordered more than we could eat, we could bring the leftovers back and eat them for lunch.
we would get all the bottled water we needed at the bar and store it in our fridge.
regards,

subvet644:

Well, looks like we'll treat ourselves and stay at El Cantil! There is only ONE 1 bdrm unit currently renting, and it is occupied for the month of December. I contacted Albert today and he was great! Response in 3 hrs and he found an owner who was willing rent their 2bdrm as a 1bdrm at the 1bdrm rate for the week we wanted. I'll be faxing the rental contract and deposit tomorrow.

We certainly don't need the luxury, but our Sept dive trip was cancelled, we've hit a few road bumps workwise and everything is shaping up to look like we will have a very long 4 months ahead, so, we're gonna live large this time.

Used miles to upgrade a $276 airfare to first class. A week at El Cantil. A week at our usual beachfront condo in Akumal... ahhhhhhh, can it be December NOW? Pleeeeezz? :D

scubawife:
Well, looks like we'll treat ourselves and stay at El Cantil! There is only ONE 1 bdrm unit currently renting, and it is occupied for the month of December. I contacted Albert today and he was great! Response in 3 hrs and he found an owner who was willing rent their 2bdrm as a 1bdrm at the 1bdrm rate for the week we wanted. I'll be faxing the rental contract and deposit tomorrow.
You're better off... the 1 bedrooms are small and no better than a hotel room. After staying in one I will probably never do so again. All it has going for it is the location, for the money I would stay at Casa Mexicana or Caribe Blu and taxi into town and still be saving a huge chunk.

During our stay last month we ran the gamut. First night was in a 3 bedroom (with 2 rooms locked off), then up to the 4 bedroom penthouse for a week. After our guests left we then moved over to the 1 bedroom. It was quite a letdown after staying in the bigger condos.

The North tower wasn't done, though we were promised it would be. We got switched between two 1 bedrooms three times due to unclean sheets, no internet access and broken air conditioning. So that was moving between rooms 5, maybe 6 times. Ugh! Some of that was our doing, some there's.

If I was going down with a group I would definitely stay there again, just not in the 1 bedrooms. As was said earlier, the location really can't be beat... far enough out of the thick of things but an easy walk into town. Oh, and a pool!!!

Albert.... hmmm, I'll keep my opinions off an open forum. :mooner:

Moodiejeff:
You're better off... the 1 bedrooms are small and no better than a hotel room. After staying in one I will probably never do so again. All it has going for it is the location, for the money I would stay at Casa Mexicana or Caribe Blu and taxi into town and still be saving a huge chunk.

During our stay last month we ran the gamut. First night was in a 3 bedroom (with 2 rooms locked off), then up to the 4 bedroom penthouse for a week. After our guests left we then moved over to the 1 bedroom. It was quite a letdown after staying in the bigger condos.

The North tower wasn't done, though we were promised it would be. We got switched between two 1 bedrooms three times due to unclean sheets, no internet access and broken air conditioning. So that was moving between rooms 5, maybe 6 times. Ugh! Some of that was our doing, some there's.

If I was going down with a group I would definitely stay there again, just not in the 1 bedrooms. As was said earlier, the location really can't be beat... far enough out of the thick of things but an easy walk into town. Oh, and a pool!!!

Albert.... hmmm, I'll keep my opinions off an open forum. :mooner:

Hmmm, so maybe I need to rethink this before I send in any $'s ? We're low maintanence and usually have a great time staying at smaller places and are not fans of resort places w/ loud speaker music and pool games (did Fiesta Americana and Hotel Coz once each and that was almost too much).

I can live with less then perfect A/C when I'm paying under $100/night. I don't need fancy, but CLEAN is a must at any price. To hear that El Cantil had these problems when they are billed as a lux property and charge accordingly (at least by Coz standards), that's pretty disappointing to hear. Guess it is still Mexico...

Due to business and family issues, the internet and long distance were big selling features for me this time. And the location - walk to town, balcony right on the ocean, etc., are also a big plus.

Sounds like Albert may be the typical building manager - accommodating to get you in and different if you need anything?

Anyone else want to weigh in on their recent El Cantil experience?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom