Hog Town Motel/Papa Hogs Dive Shop-Any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used Papa Hogs while staying at another hotel in 2003, had great experience with them. In particular they don't end the dive when the first person hits 750psi, the DM just had that particular buddy group head up to the safety stop, for pick up by the boat.

jamiep3:
Used Papa Hogs while staying at another hotel in 2003, had great experience with them. In particular they don't end the dive when the first person hits 750psi, the DM just had that particular buddy group head up to the safety stop, for pick up by the boat.

FWIW, that's pretty much the rule for Coz diving rather than the exception, in my experience. It is at least with the ops that are flexible in other ways.

ggunn:
FWIW, that's pretty much the rule for Coz diving rather than the exception, in my experience. It is at least with the ops that are flexible in other ways.

That's good to know. I heard from people at the resort where I stayed that their dive op was bringing up the whole group when the first person hit 750.

jamiep3:
That's good to know. I heard from people at the resort where I stayed that their dive op was bringing up the whole group when the first person hit 750.

Yeah, I have heard tales of that happening with some of the more "cattle boat" ops that cater to large numbers of new divers, but the small boat ops that are not tied to a particular resort do not do that. I dive with Blue Angel usually, and they let you use your air.

Papa Hogs is a great dive op. They have a number 6 pack boats that get to the sites rapidly. Margaret keeps the shop in good order and does a great job of matching divers to groups.

One of the great benefits of Papa Hogs/ Hogtown is their great dive lodging packages. They work with the Villa Blanca and actually have their own apartments for rental.

Get an email thing going with Margaret. You can cut yourself an excellent deal and get great diving and lodging for cheap. There are all kinds of great dive ops and places to stay on Coz. Working with Papa Hogs will get you everything you need from one source.

The last benny I like is the Hogtown Cafe. It's right there and has really good breakfast and lunch. I'd eat all my meals there, but ya gotta hit the great places downtown.

It all depends on what you expect, not what you want. I have sent several very satisfied friends to Margaret and Mike at the Hogtown Motel and Dive Emporium and had one very angry response from someone who was unhappy; he was an AI type, so you can’t please everyone.

It is great value for a Dive holiday, this ain’t no Ai joint.

I like the small motel not HOTEL and have dove with Hogtown for many years, and used many other operations over the 29 years I have been going to Coz. One good thing about the Hogtown Motel is there is no extras paid if you are down there diving solo. I hate the $799/wk per person based on double occupancy, so it’s not $799 per person, eh????? I hate when I’m traveling alone being upcharged as a couple. Hogtown doesn’t do that; also you can put together groups with singles and couples and get a combination of accommodation at the Hogtown Motel.

I like it but then I’m not you, I think it is very GOOD. It is the best value on the Island.

nwdiver2:
It all depends on what you expect, not what you want. I have sent several very satisfied friends to Margaret and Mike at the Hogtown Motel and Dive Emporium and had one very angry response from someone who was unhappy; he was an AI type, so you can’t please everyone.

Where is the Hogtown Motel? Papa Hog's has always been at Hotel Villblanca; is that the place you mean?

ggunn:
Where is the Hogtown Motel? Papa Hog's has always been at Hotel Villblanca; is that the place you mean?

They've got a few rooms on their property next door to Villablanca. www.papahogs.com/site/motel.php But yes, they also can provide a package deal for diving with them and staying at Villablanca.

Back
Top Bottom