wet suit for Coz in Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Namchief

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well here is the problem... I dive in Northern Wisconsin with a 5 mil full with 5 mil sleveless shortie at 46 to 55 degrees and all other with a 5 mil full. I am going to Cozumel Nov 1st, am I going to be too hot in the 5 mil full or should I wear the 5 mil sleevless shortie or should I order a 2.5 mil full for exposure protection(jellyfish). I am a not off the rack kinda guy so it will be a custom 2.5 full. Everything I have read says it depends on the person but how do you know when it is the first time in Cozumel? $200 for the 2.5 or save the cash for a mediocure camera setup????
Thanks

I think you could get away with a lycra suit, to protect you from the sun and stinging animals, unless you plan on diving more than 2-3 dives a day, you should be fine, heck, you are used to really cold water.

I will be using my 5 mil in November. I would like to get a 3 mil but would rather spend the money on other things while down there. Take both suits with you and maybe use your shorty first and if you are cold use the full. Unless the water temp is your body temp or higher your body looses heat faster in the water. I don't think you can get too hot in the water. If for some reason you feel warm you can always pull your neck seal open and let some water in too cool down right?
Its nice boat diving becasue you dont have to lug gear all around and overheat. You suit up the crew helps you get the rest on, quick check and off the boat you go.

Hi Namchief,

....so what will be of most use to you is knowing what scuba temps to anticipate.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "7mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect early-Nov Coz scuba temps of ~81F +/- a degree. Remember that as the number of dives increases, the demands on thermal reserves become substantial. No matter how warm the water may feel at first, as long as it's below body temperature (~98.6F/37C) ), it's going to sap body heat.

Personally, I like being toasty and thus err on the side of heavier neoprene. If get too warm, I simply let some water into the suit.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Namchief:
Well here is the problem... I dive in Northern Wisconsin with a 5 mil full with 5 mil sleveless shortie at 46 to 55 degrees and all other with a 5 mil full. I am going to Cozumel Nov 1st, am I going to be too hot in the 5 mil full or should I wear the 5 mil sleevless shortie or should I order a 2.5 mil full for exposure protection(jellyfish). I am a not off the rack kinda guy so it will be a custom 2.5 full. Everything I have read says it depends on the person but how do you know when it is the first time in Cozumel? $200 for the 2.5 or save the cash for a mediocure camera setup????
Thanks

I've always dove a 2/3 shorty in Cozumel. Never been cold and never been stung by anything. 2/3 shorties are much cheaper and since they are shorties and they have a better stretch factor you should be able to go off the rack on that.

Coz hovers between about 78 and 82. A 5m shorty probably won't be too hot in the water but it will be brutal on the boat.

James

I've used a 3mm one piece jump suit in January, both in Coz and across the channel in Puerta Adventuras. Never been cold, water temps allways in the upper 70's to low 80's. Got my suit from Leisure Pro for less than $100.00. Probably be fine with a shorty, I just prefer full coverage.

What Doc said above is probably the best advice you will get though.

For what it's worth.

DocVikingo:
"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "7mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect early-Nov Coz scuba temps of ~81F +/- a degree. Remember that as the number of dives increases, the demands on thermal reserves become substantial. No matter how warm the water may feel at first, as long as it's below body temperature (~98.6F/37C) ), it's going to sap body heat.

Personally, I like being toasty and thus err on the side of heavier neoprene. If get too warm, I simply let some water into the suit.

Have fun.

DocVikingo
Thanks Doc for the quote.
I have read that already
The problem I have is I have only dove once in Warm water in st Thomas and that was 1 dive 40 ft for 38 ffw ( Discover Scuba) and I did that in a t shirt and shorts
so water temps over 70 mean nothing to me as I have no experiance to go by. I am mainly worried about jellyfish and such that having arms and legs covered would be beneficial. otherwise I am sure I will not be cold with the 5 mil superstretch sleeveless step-in shortie. So really my question was not really thickness but full or sleeveless step-in shortie for protection against stings and such. Do I need to worry about this??
Thanks

Yes, having arms and legs covered is beneficial. If you go through swimthroughs you can easily get zapped by a hydriod. I got it on the finger last week. Personally, I get cold after 5 of 6 days of diving in Cozumel and wouldn't hesitate to dive a full 5 mm in November, particularly with the wind blowing out of the north.

I guess I will take all my wetsuits with me and see what works for me.
Thanks

As has been said...full suit of whatever thickness is good for you for insurance against thimble jellys or an accidental brush of the lower leg against the reef on a "tight" swimthrough.

I get cold easy in local lakes and usually stay above the thermo., but have been using just a lycra in Coz. for about 10 years. Get kinda chilly once back on the boat though if there is a breeze. Brrrr. Thinkin' about gettin' a .05 or 1 mm. for those trips.

You see quite a bit of 3 mm. there, but that's too much for me to mess with in 80* water.

We were kinda worried about the gal from Oz. on a swimthrough, but she did great.

No stings, no fire coral, no jelly stings. But she was used to diving in Austrailia and had good buoyancy control.

For some reason I really don't remember too much about the marine life I saw on that dive. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom