Occidental Allegro and Diving with Blue XT Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, after spending 4 days in South Texas at Port Royal on Mustang Island getting married (July 8th) we departed for our family honeymoon.
http://www.heatherjoann.com/wedding.htm

We arrived at DFW at 5:30am for TSA torture of removing our shoes and walking through some funky metal detectors. I just kept thinking-these are not the smelly shoes you are looking for (Star Wars.) :D
We bordered the AeroMexico flight and were in Cozumel in two and half hours. I slept most of the way- nice flight and great cabin crew.
Mexican Tourista Board- oh customs welcomed us- sign here, you keep this, we keep that, swipe your little blue book- stamp, stamp, stamp- welcome to Mexico. Getting out was a little different.

Checked in at Allegro- signed for room keys, towel cards, and safety box lock. Dropped everything in the rooms, grabbed my swim shorts (mask fins and snorkel) and headed to the ocean. Wow that is clear water! Yea Baby! Two hours later we got out of the water totally exhausted. Headed to the bar- food, drink- quick rinse in the pool to get off the salts off (beach shower closed and hot tub broken) and crashed in the shade for a few hours under a cabana. Life was good! We pretty much kept to the same schedule of eating, playing in the ocean, pool, getting drinks and napping.

Sightings while snorkeling-

Allegro has sea grass, rocks, and lots of life. However, if they stacked some more rocks, debris and made channels there would be even more life. We saw multiple Moray ells, Octopus hanging out in his/her den (I nicknamed Octopus Island,) with dinner littering the front (blue crab). Beanies, shrimp, something very similar to a sunfish, barracuda, spades (silver with black edges) Gobi Shrimp (light brown, and in less than 6ft of water) tons of small and juvenile fish, massive (6ft dia) spotted stingray, multiple anemones (just incredible) parrotfish, green shrimp with a wrasse. We found bother regular lobster and an arrow crab. Digital camera… desperately needed. We have a disposal camera being processed- we will see what comes out.
Warning- stepping in was no fun 1-1/2ft lip drop. An Al40 wound have been perfect with like a Zeagle scout BC. Plus, getting sand into the regulators was way too easy- that’s why everyone boat dives. The resort needs to put in concrete steps at a minimum-easily done from their pier.
Nasty things pulled out- 4 clear plastic cups, 3 batteries (AA and C cell,) broken glass wine bottle, plastic bits and beer can (had to evict the hermit crab first.)
Diving was planned through Blue XT Diving-
The night before diving we had a phone call to check on us for gear and a reminder of pickup time for tomorrow- cool beans.
8:20am- at our concrete pier here pulls up Shamu. Arturo says welcome and the boat captain helps with all the gear.
They handled the gear, prepped the gear, hauled weights, and provided towels and fresh water after each dive. Totally spoiled us dog rotten!
Before each dive Arturo provided a complete briefing on where we were, our profile, estimated time of dive, confirming our computers, and on the first dive reviewed all hand signs and dive procedures. Very professional and competent!
One of his first questions before talking about the dive profile was to ask about Austin our son and his dive experience. I was very pleased that he asked and then asked us what ‘we’ felt comfortable with him diving. We did one day of diving with (two dives) for Austin and we had a great snack in between. He had a great time and asked if we can return next year.

The next day was just Heather and Myself. The seas were a bit calmer, and the diving was great. We pulled some 45-50 minutes dives and the scenery was incredible. We floated a little ahead and spotted creatures for the three folks on board with cameras. Drifting in the current was a little strange but by the end of the first day- no worries we had this down pat. Yep- I am buying a digital camera and housing- that is the way to go. There was so much… you could take photos of it is just amazing. The density of the life and the size of the creatures was just unbelievable.
We saw while diving- yellow fin tuna, multiple turtles, jacks, beanies, octopus, anemones, moray ells, stingrays, lobster, BIG nurse shark, great coral formations-hard and soft, barracudas, hogfish, you name it we saw it. It was just so intense. Please keep in mind I am usually a Texas Mud Diver.
Thank you again to Christi her crew and the bounty of life that they shared with us. I would recommend them to anyone heading down to Cozumel.
http://www.bluextseadiving.com/

Getting a Jeep- for cheap.
If anyone offers you a jeep ‘cheap’ guess what it is cheap for a reason. We ended up seeing the New Royal timeshare in Playa. Basically we spent all day there. We meet at the ferry before 9am, were handed to three different people and were stuffed into a small taxi- all four of us in Cancun it was a 15minute ride. While I found the tour educational I was not interested in buying a time share for twenty thousand dollars.
When we went to return the Jeep to Avis no one was at the counter! I thought I was about to be instantly ill. We had an international flight and could not return the vehicle because no one was there. We had checked our baggage and waited. Finally, all four groups of us returned our vehicles and then ran down the airport through another metal detector and on to the lobby. They pulled me out because I had two dive computers and a HID Light head in my carry on. Frisk me and let me on the airplane.

Just a few things-
Would we do it again- heck yeah…. Cozumel is like no other place.

The all inclusive resort works well if there are non-diving members of the group and it covers everything. I found it strange that food often did not come with the associated sauce. Example- Fried cheese sticks- no marina sauce. Ranch did not exist and finding things off the menu was tough. This is a reflection on Allegro and not the Island in general. Buffets get old by the end of the week- be warned.

We also ate in the town square and purchased drinks a few times and always had excellent service (sealed/chilled/ no ice.) We found Dr. Pepper but be warned it is not freely traded like here in Texas. Hey, the fun and excitement of traveling.

We purchase ‘dive’ t-shirts but not everyone opens for Sunday. We did not realize this; one of our rookie mistakes.

I will rent a Jeep separately in the future and not from the guys that jump from behind the sliding glass door at the airport. Looking back it was like a comedy. We could have arranged rental vehicle at the resort or ahead of time.

Driving is rather mass insanity but just treat it like driving in Dallas on 635 at 4pm on a Thursday afternoon. Too many scooters to count and watch for the speed bumps- strange how the speed bumps magically appear right after the signs. Hummm.. Go figure…

If one thing stood out is that the people of Cozumel were great. Don’t get me wrong I was a tourist but I was treated very well compared to other places I have spent my money.

The up selling did get a little old after a while. They even tried to up sell us at our resort to go see their other “new” resort next door. That was the hardest thing to get used to. Then I might be sensitive since I am a buyer for a living.

The diving was insane- just incredible. Call Christi- she will make your life a breeze. This was the best decision I made the entire trip!

The real downer was Heather my lovely new wife came down with food poisoning the day after we returned and spent six days on med’s, antibiotics, and laying in bed. She has not been well at all; and we almost rushed her to the hospital one night. However, it cleared after 9 days. It could have been anything.

In closing- we had fun and shall return.
Thanks to all the board members that made suggestions- it really helped out a lot.

Andrew

Crazyduck:
We found Dr. Pepper but be warned it is not freely traded like here in Texas. Hey, the fun and excitement of traveling.

Andrew

I bought a Dr Pepper in the airport $3.29US :11: but it tasted so good & 2.00US for a snickers bar wow just like home:D

glad you had fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom