$$ in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My Fiancé and I are going to Cozumel in mid Sept. We are trying to figure out the best way to spend our money. I hear ATM isn’t to hot because banks over here charge an out of network fee ($5 each transaction for my bank wells Fargo). I figure a lot of the smaller shops might not take credit. Maybe Travelers checks? What do you guys do when going to Cozumel?

Thanks
Stacy

Lots of small bills. Usually I will take for a week $100 in ones, $100 in fives, $100 in tens and $100 in twentys.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I would use a combination of cash for incidentals but mostly a visa or Am X. I am pretty sure the conversion is better, and if I remember correctly, almost everyplace took a CC. ....so much safer. I like the fact that the card will take on issues if there is a problem with the hotel bill, a purchase, etc.

Dave Zimmerly:
Lots of small bills. Usually I will take for a week $100 in ones, $100 in fives, $100 in tens and $100 in twentys.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Bet that makes for one fat wallet :D I was thinking just taking cash but I worry about stashing it in my hotel and it being there when i get back :( Did you get it changed in for paso's?

Thanks
Stacy

catherine96821:
I would use a combination of cash for incidentals but mostly a visa or Am X. I am pretty sure the conversion is better, and if I remember correctly, almost everyplace took a CC. ....so much safer. I like the fact that the card will take on issues if there is a problem with the hotel bill, a purchase, etc.

You don’t have problems with the small shops taking plastic? I heard that the banks down there charged then outrageous fees. I figured most wouldn’t take it.
Stacy

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
My Fiancé and I are going to Cozumel in mid Sept. We are trying to figure out the best way to spend our money. I hear ATM isn’t to hot because banks over here charge an out of network fee ($5 each transaction for my bank wells Fargo). I figure a lot of the smaller shops might not take credit. Maybe Travelers checks? What do you guys do when going to Cozumel?

Thanks
Stacy
I take traveler's cheques for the hotel and diving bills, plus for some meals (La Choza is the only restaurant I have found there that won't take them). I use the ATM for incidentals; the charges won't pinch you much if you get two or three hundred bucks at a time. I never use plastic there, but then, I don't use plastic much at all except for on line buying and plane tix.

Many hotels and dive ops will charge you extra to use a credit card. They prefer cash, and traveler's cheques count as cash. I also like the safety factor in using tc's.

I usually take a bunch of $1's, too; they are really handy for tips and cabs, though you'll get a better shake from the cabbies with pesos. They will sometimes try to play the "I don't have change" game with you, so use your large peso bills in the shops and restaurants and save the small bills for cabs.

Stacy:

I use a combination of cash, credit cards, and the ATM. You want to have a good amount of small bills for cabs, tips, etc. You can't count on getting change, at least not for dollars. You do get hit for out-of-network fees on the ATMs, but as long as you are not taking out $20 at a time, it's not too bad. The exchange rates are usually better than you get in Mexico, and you have to exchange if you use traveler's checks. I have been taking traveler's checks, because I am uncomfortable with too much cash, but I am getting more and more comfortable with the ATMs. There are one or two right near the plaza at some banks and there is one at the Chedraui. I probably won't bother with the traveler's checks next time. Most places take credit cards, but might charge you a fee for them.

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
Bet that makes for one fat wallet :D I was thinking just taking cash but I worry about stashing it in my hotel and it being there when i get back :( Did you get it changed in for paso's?

Most hotel rooms have safes. I feel that I'm less likely to lose my valuables in Cozumel than any other Caribbean location. And I'm not worried that the maid is going to steal my Sony Vaio, worth a lot more than my cash.

Everyone accepts dollars and often will give you change in pesos. I usually get pesos out of the ATM.

My dive operator takes only cash or travelers cheques. I take a combo of tc's, pesos and US dollars. If you're a AAA member you can order online with no fee and free express shipping for orders over $500. They sell pesos and USD traveler's cheques.

I usually get a couple hundred extra in tc's and then exchange them for pesos at any cambio in town as needed. Anyplace we've stayed we've prepaid by credit card when possible, or paid by credit card when we check out. Everything else is cash - either pesos or USD. Most stores and several restaurants in the tourist areas around the square will take credit cards, but before you use your cards, check the service charges. Most cc companies added foreign transaction fees last year and they aren't as good a deal as they used to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom