Need help planning dives in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My GF and I are going to Cozumel to do the AOW course over a 4-day weekend with Christi in late September. Christi has us scheduled to start the AOW class Saturday morning and finish Sunday around 1pm or so. Our plane lands on the island at 11:45am on Friday. I am assuming it will take about an hour from when we land to get to the hotel (Casa Mexicana). Is that a fair guess based on customs, baggage claims, etc?

So assuming we hit the hotel around 1pm and drop our luggage off, we would like to do some diving. I'm guessing this would make us ready to about 2pm or so. This will be my GF's first "real" dive location after her OW class and a couple shallow river dives in Texas.

Our first thought was to do a nice, easy shore dive. I've been to Playa Villablanca and Sunset beach to dive about 6 times. All of those times we had DM's, but the diving seemed so simple that we didn't neccessarily need one. On the otherhand, experienced people here generally say not to shore dive at all in Coz due to potential current issues.

I see that the board is about 50/50 split on whether to shore dive in Cozumel at all. Given the 2pm starting time and my GF's first time to Cozumel/salt water diving, what diving option would you recommend for that day? Thanks in advance.

I don't think anyone is saying don't do shore dives...just that boat dives are generally better, particularly since Wilma. But personally I think that shore diving helps you build your skills and confidence and I love mucking around in shallow water for 1 hour+ looking at whatever. Just don't do anything crazy. I'm not sure what your skills or experience levels are, however. That would be one of my concerns about you and your girlfriend taking off on your own. But my gut says you should just wait for Christi and do your AOW before rushing off on shore dives by yourselves. Just my 2 cents.

An afternoon boat couldn't be easier. Hop on, gear up, fall over the side.
Lots of ops do afternoon dives.
You'll probably find others onboard like youselves. Ask for someone who'll take you to, say, Paradise.
Did you already ask Christi if she has space?
That's how I did my arrival afternoon in June.
We'll probably ask for an evening upon arrival in Dec. (since we'll be later arriving on the island, getting in thru Cancun)
Have a great time!
Craig-

Jarrett:
My GF and I are going to Cozumel to do the AOW course over a 4-day weekend with Christi in late September. Christi has us scheduled to start the AOW class Saturday morning and finish Sunday around 1pm or so. Our plane lands on the island at 11:45am on Friday. I am assuming it will take about an hour from when we land to get to the hotel (Casa Mexicana). Is that a fair guess based on customs, baggage claims, etc?

So assuming we hit the hotel around 1pm and drop our luggage off, we would like to do some diving. I'm guessing this would make us ready to about 2pm or so. This will be my GF's first "real" dive location after her OW class and a couple shallow river dives in Texas.

Our first thought was to do a nice, easy shore dive. I've been to Playa Villablanca and Sunset beach to dive about 6 times. All of those times we had DM's, but the diving seemed so simple that we didn't neccessarily need one. On the otherhand, experienced people here generally say not to shore dive at all in Coz due to potential current issues.

I see that the board is about 50/50 split on whether to shore dive in Cozumel at all. Given the 2pm starting time and my GF's first time to Cozumel/salt water diving, what diving option would you recommend for that day? Thanks in advance.

Jarrett, IMO I would wait until you and your gf finish with your AOW before you tackle a shore dive......when you get in take it easy relax unpack have a nice lunch maybe do a little snorkeling...get your gf familar with her surroundings....rushing around jumping in somewhere to do a shore dive is not your best option....have fun, your on vacation....after your AOW is finished do a shore dive...your gf will be more comfortable with her gear by then and comfortable in the water.....but again this is just one persons opinion....:D have fun

Jarrett:

More like an hour and a half if the plane is full is about right (it could be longer if there is more than one plane arriving at that time - it happens), but all things considered I would really advise against scheduling a shore dive by yourselves two hours after landing in Cozumel, unless you know the island and its waters very well and are advanced enough a diver to assume the DM role for your very inexperienced girlfriend.

Even then, that's really pushing things, IMO, and a trip to Cozumel shouldn't be about stressing out. I always get there on that same plane, and I stay in a hotel right on the water with a dive shop where a shore dive is literally steps away, where all I have to do is grab a tank, gear up, and jump in. If I shore dive that day, it's usually close to 4 pm by the time I get in the water, and you'd have a lot more logistics to consider.

My advice is to let your gf acclimate to the island and relax in the afternoon. Walk around the square, have something cool to drink, get a nice romantic dinner, etc. Don't forget about the etc. Stress really gets in the way of the etc.

Schedule a boat dive the next morning. What's your hurry?

Thanks for the input. A couple of thoughts:

We can't go to Cozumel and snorkel. That's like flying all the way to Disneyland and standing outside and straining to look in :)

This wouldn't be my first shore dive in Cozumel. And this would be her 5th dive after her OW check dives which were in a green lake with 4 foot viz. The last three dives she is going to do before Cozumel are in the San Marcos and Comal rivers which give a bit of the drift dive vibe.

Are there any dive ops that have a single, easy dive that leave at 2pm or after? Paradise reef is the only thing I can think of that would be comfortable.

Even then, the shore dives I've done in Cozumel have been much easier in terms of diving stress that any boat dives. It gives you the option to stay at whatever depth you feel comfortable and gives you an idea what the environment is like before dumping over the back of the boat for the first time.

I still have a hard time understanding why there is an anti-shore diving sentiment involved with Cozumel. Even the worse shore dive in Cozumel is 10 times better than anything we have here to dive in Texas.

ggunn:
What's your hurry?

We only get to go to Cozumel once or twice a year. That is the pinnacle of our diving experiences for the whole year. It's tough not to try and squueze in every available minute of bottom time we can get when we go because we know it will be several months before we are able again to see the beauty of Cozumel underwater.

Jarrett:

We can't go to Cozumel and snorkel. That's like flying all the way to Disneyland and standing outside and straining to look in :)

This wouldn't be my first shore dive in Cozumel. And this would be her 5th dive after her OW check dives which were in a green lake with 4 foot viz. The last three dives she is going to do before Cozumel are in the San Marcos and Comal rivers which give a bit of the drift dive vibe.

Are there any dive ops that have a single, easy dive that leave at 2pm or after? Paradise reef is the only thing I can think of that would be comfortable.

Even then, the shore dives I've done in Cozumel have been much easier in terms of diving stress that any boat dives. It gives you the option to stay at whatever depth you feel comfortable and gives you an idea what the environment is like before dumping over the back of the boat for the first time.

I still have a hard time understanding why there is an anti-shore diving sentiment involved with Cozumel. Even the worse shore dive in Cozumel is 10 times better than anything we have here to dive in Texas.

I don't think anyone is saying don't shore dive, just saying it might not be the best move on your day of arrival with a diver who is new to diving and new to Cozumel diving.

If you do want to try and get an afternoon boat, you're best bet is probably going to be Blue Angel. They have a 1:30 boat and 4pm for a twilight dive. I haven't dived with them but lots of people on the board use them and they have a great reputation. They're at the Carib Blu. You could also rent tanks and do a shore dive there.

www.lorenz.pl/angel/usver/trips/index.htm www.lorenz.pl/angel/index.html

ggunn:
but all things considered I would really advise against scheduling a shore dive by yourselves two hours after landing in Cozumel, unless you know the island and its waters very well and are advanced enough a diver to assume the DM role for your very inexperienced girlfriend.

This is exactly my concern Jarrett. It's the limited experience between the two of you that makes me not recommend a shore dive by yourselves on the first afternoon. The dives CAN be very easy as you have experienced in the past, but if something goes wrong or the conditions aren't favorable or change during the dive...there's not an experienced diver or professional there to assist you. I'm happy to arrange an afternoon check-out boat dive or a DM to take you from shore before we start your AOW on Saturday, all you have to do is ask :)

Jarrett:

I don't think there is anti-shore diving sentiment here as stated already but you did ask for our opinions and we gave them.....it sounds like you have already made up your mind anyway.....I only get to Coz once a year also and usually arrive before noon...but I don't bust my *** trying to do a shore dive when I get there.....

BTW you can stand up in the San Marcos river if the current gets to be too much...this isnot true in coz....

Back
Top Bottom