Dive shop that will take a one day "cruiser"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subvet644

Reaction score
I've been looking for a shop that will take a "cruiser". So far, I've only found a couple that will accomodate a cruiser if they reserve the boat($300-$350). I can see where this type of client is iffy but I had no problem booking a couple of dives on Grand Cayman. Thought I'd ask to see if I've missed anyone. Thanks!

The issue could be what time you're arriving off the ship. Especially with only one cruise pier operating right now, most ships are having to tender, and you get to town later than the regular morning departures for the dive shops.

That said, you've probably not contacted the right shops. For my clients, I recommend trying Blue XT Sea, Scuba With Alison, Dive with Martin, Aldora, Blue Angel, Eagle Ray Divers and Deep Exposure, somewhat in that order. Each of those shops have proven willingness to work with cruise divers. It all depends on what you're looking for, your experience and your port times. I'd be very surprised if one of those shops couldn't accommodate you.

Why don't you want to use the dive op provided by the cruise ship excursion desk?

There are a lot of reasons both to use the ship's vendor and not to. The main advantages to are logistical - you don't have to worry about the schedule and you know the ship won't leave without you.

Reasons not to are to get a more personalized service, go to better dive sites, smaller boats, longer bottom times... some or all of the above.

Cruise ships cater to divers who generally don't dive all that frequently - often just once every couple years or so. For someone who dives more frequently and is more experienced, the restrictions on bottom times and such sometimes aren't attractive. Wihle there are many good divers who choose to go with the cruise ship for ease, in most ports, there are other options which don't take much more work and allow for a lot more flexibility and quality experience.

HappyFunBoater:
Why don't you want to use the dive op provided by the cruise ship excursion desk?

ROYAL CARRIBEAN ISNT OFFERING A DIVE ON THE CRUISE I AM TAKING IN OCT. FOUND THAT OUT A BIT TOO LATE

BurBunny:
There are a lot of reasons both to use the ship's vendor and not to. The main advantages to are logistical - you don't have to worry about the schedule and you know the ship won't leave without you.

Reasons not to are to get a more personalized service, go to better dive sites, smaller boats, longer bottom times... some or all of the above.

Cruise ships cater to divers who generally don't dive all that frequently - often just once every couple years or so. For someone who dives more frequently and is more experienced, the restrictions on bottom times and such sometimes aren't attractive. Wihle there are many good divers who choose to go with the cruise ship for ease, in most ports, there are other options which don't take much more work and allow for a lot more flexibility and quality experience.

And in addition to all these very good reasons, booking on your own for what the cruise line excursion costs or less, you will get a top-notch dive op in terms of quality and service instead of the cattle boat. And you can spend much less then the excursion price and still get a small boat, longer bottom times, etc. If you're an experienced diver, traveler and cruiser, I can think of only one reason to go with the offered dive excursion - it's the ONLY choice if you want to dive in that port. That is not the case in places like Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize, and several others.

These are all good and valid points. And I admit my experience with diving off cruise ships is limited. But the experience that I did have (3 different locations) was excellent, the dive boats and sites were excellent, and I love the piece of mind that the dive and cruise ship schedules will sink up. Maybe my newbie status has caused me to give too much weight to the piece of mind issue.

The reasons mentioned above pretty much summarize why I would prefer to set up my own dives. I'm a novice but have invested a lot of money/time to enjoy this sport and want to maximize those opportunities.
Happy, I would be concerned about striking out on my own as well, but I just spent a week in Cozumel and I feel comfortable with the friendly folks there and getting around on my own.
BurBunny, thanks for your list, I'm sorting thru details with a couple of shops you suggested and will contact the others. So far it looks like I'll be reserving a boat. Anyone on the Rhapsody of the Seas leaving Galveston on 11/5? Let's go diving!

Subvet, one other recommendation if you're trying to round out a boat you charter is to go to www.cruisecritic.com, click on Boards, go to Roll Calls, then Royal Caribbean, Rhapsody and find your sailing date. You might find other divers on your ship wanting to also head out diving. Plus it's a good way to meet others on your sailing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom