GOING OCT. 4th--AIRLINE RESTRICTIONS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montanagal

Registered
Reaction score
My dive partner (hubby) and I are flying on Continental to Cozumel on October 4th.
I was wondering if anyone has recently went to Cozumel on Continental and on the international part of the flight into Cozumel had any problems taking their regs, computers, and dive camera as carry on?

Also is anyone else going to be in Cozumel from October 4th to 13th?

My wife "land lover", and I will be there Oct 6-11 staying at the Reef Club and I dive with Raul Platas of Bottom Time Divers.

2 weeks ago American allowed me to bring Regs and computer from Chicago to Boston but not the BC. Seems the cable for the dump valve can be used as a weapon! It is a steel cable and the xray pics it up and the TSA people really don't have a clue what the rules are. The ones in Boston had no problem as I carried it on comming back home.

The only added issues are liquids, gels and lotions. Going TO isn't a problem as you're checked all over here. Coming back they'll do a hand search and you'll know then what you've got to check as opposed to carry on.

And yes, they are serious about their liquids. I was overweight and had to pull something out of my checked bag and not thinking, went for the item I knew would bring me under, my first aid kit. I could have kicked myself for forgetting once I got to carry on security....they took my antibiotic ointment, liquid bandage and hydrocortisone cream. They were so focused on those and my prescription drugs that they completely missed the POCKET KNIFE in my first aid kit.

Even in the hysteria right after the arrests in London, we had no problems with scuba equipment as carry-on for our trip back from Cozumel. Like the others have said, clean out the liquids and gels before you go.

Oh, yes, have a great time.

The easiest and most accurate thing to do is go to www.tsa.gov and check for yourself. It's still "no liquids or gels on carry ons" and that's it. Of course, there's still a no weapon policy in effect. I just got back from Cozumel and checked all my gear except for my reg set and computer.

Ever see someone with a false sense of exception? One guy got his zippo confiscated and argued that it had sentimental value because it was his deceased grandfather's. Is the "no lighters" sign too small?

What about fluid filled compasses?

RikRaeder, that is the exact question I asked TSA on the phone before going on a trip to Bonaire few weeks ago. They said to put compass in the checked bag - not carry-ons.

I was told by american airlines that they would take the compass because of the liquid in it. Tom

I was in Cozumel in late Aug. No problems with TSA in the US, as I had remembered to deal with all the little things properly (like take the bottle of de-fog out solution out of my wife's prescription mask case in the carry-on). However, when departing Coz, a curious thing happened. We checked our bags, then were handed (by the check-in clerk) a printed list and asked if any of these items were in carry-on luggage. The list included about 15 or so items I had never seen on a TSA list, such as duct tape, hair curlers and batteries. We basically ignored the list as it looked only semi-official--no letterhead or other symbols of authority. We went through baggage security check and the security officer scanned my carry-on bag that contained camera, binoculars, 2 regs, mask, steel signalling devices, 6 dive lights plus a clear plastic cylinder enclosing all the batteries for the dive lights (separate plastic bags of batteries for each light). The officer rightfully wanted to visually check that bag and he did so in a pleasant fashion. He looked at every item, placed it back, said thank you and taught my wife some new Spanish vocabulary (for "battery" and "flashlight"). However, when it was time to board, the check-in clerks "manned" a table at the departure gate and went through every item of hand luggage being carried on by all passengers. When my bag was opened, now for the second time, the batteries were right on top. The clerk took the top off the cylinder, poured out the batteries, and said I couldn't take them aboard. I said nothing at the time. Who wants to make a fuss when boarding? At the plane change in Dallas, I described the situation to the TSA officer who was inspecting my bag. He turned out to be a diver and had been to Cozumel many times. He said I had done nothing wrong and the batteries should not have been taken away. I have written both the TSA and American Airlines (it seemed that the clerks were their personnel) and complained, but nothing has happened. It seems like a scam to me. Duct tape? Hair curlers? The other thing that was odd was that all our bags weighed about 4-5 lbs more than at home or when we checked our bags originally. And, everything was dry with no additional stuff. My LDS believes has seen the scale problem also and believes it is being used as a way to generate revenue. You are at the mercy of the airline/local airport when returning.

ScubaJW:
RikRaeder, that is the exact question I asked TSA on the phone before going on a trip to Bonaire few weeks ago. They said to put compass in the checked bag - not carry-ons.

Ok, so if my console isn't a quick release then I have to check my reg just because the compass has liquid in it? I don't mind checking it on the way home but I like to carry it on the way down so I know I'll have it.

Back
Top Bottom