Best sites to dive Post Hurricane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vegeta82

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am going to Coz and will be diving with Raul Platas of Bottom Time Divers from Oct. 6th to the 9th..

I am a fair diver with about 30 dives logged so far this year but am new to Coz.. Not terribly worried about drift diving as I have dove many rivers locally.. My question is what are some of the best, most beautiful, and aquatic life areas to dive in Coz following last years hurricane? I am not terribly concerended about depth (meaning i am not one that has to go 100' deep to feel like I accomplished something) I just want good dives with some diversity and I want to see Coz. for what it was before the Hurricane. At the same time if thier are areas that were devestated but sport the best aquatic life those areas would be great to...

Also is thier any potential for catching lobster's? I would love to catch a lobster and go and cook it myself. I have caught Spanish Lobsters before in the Key's and it was a very rewarding experiance.... However I don't pretend to know the rules about such things in Coz...

Also any suggestions on best shore diving spots would be appreciated. I will be on the north part of the island at the Coral Princess. But i am willing to travel for the shore dives as well.. And before you go off how shore diving sucks in Coz save it as you probalby havent dove to many lakes with 6 feet of vis. where you are lucky to see a 5lb catfish... So any good shore diving areas especially if they are north and we are wanting to make at least 1 night shore dive as well....

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions on this thread.

I was there in January for one day (took the ferry over from Playa del Carmen, where we spent the week) and Palancar Caves was still in excellent condition. I have heard the deeper sites were not much affected. You will not be able to catch lobster. The dive sites are in a marine park and there are strict rules against taking anything.

Raul is not going to take you to a bad dive site. Why don't you just let Raul handle that for you. He is a professional and knows how to make any dive a great one.

As far as wanting to see what it was like before Wilma, well, that won't happen. The underwater scenery has changed, period. That doesn't mean it's devastated...it means it's changed, for the better in some places. Even if there wasn't a hurricane almost a year ago, the reefs would change...it's nature and it's constantly changing.

As far as lobstering, as JD said, most sites are within the marine park, so it's prohibited. There are a few places you can go outside the park, but it is still very highly frowned upon here. Additionally, the places that you would be able to "legally" do it are up north and it would be up to Raul to decide if you are qualified to dive those areas as they can prove to be very challenging conditions at times.

Have a great time! With only 30 dives, you can't go wrong...you're going to love any dive here in Cozumel...and Raul is a great divemaster as well!

Shore diving...right in front of the Coral Princess if the conditions are good. Talk to the onsite dive shop, Pepe Scuba for tips and pointers for navigating the dive and for current conditions.

Other options would be in front of Caribe Blu or Villa Blanca, where Papa Hogs is.

I'll save the shore diving sucks speech :wink:

Have a great time and be safe!

As Christi said, there is no place on Cozumel that wasn't hit by the hurricane. Wilma hit and hung around, and raked that southern eyewall up the whole length of the island. That said, I'd have to add that Colombia Shallows was the least affected shallow site I saw in the two trips I have made there since Wilma.

I agree with Gordon, Columbia shallows was still an awsome dive in May, I could do it every day.

Raul is an excellent DM, one of my favorites, don't worry about him taking you on a bad dive, I just can't see that happening.

Christi really has the best advise, talk to the DM, whoever you are diving with, maybe give him suggestions of what you have liked to dive in the past and take his/her advise. these folks dive these reefs every day and know the current conditions better than anyone.

A good DM will not take you to a "bad site" whatever that is. Go diving in some rivers and lakes for a while and then see if you can find a "bad site" in Cozumel.

As far as reef conditions post Wilma...don't make me get on that soapbox again! :wink:

Have a great trip, no worries!

Thanks guys and gals...

I have heard nothing but good about Raul he certainly will call the shoots I just wanted to get a sampling of the various places locals and vacationers regarded as the better spots. I think we are going to try to get 8 dives in with Raul and make several shore dives in addtion to those.

Guess lobstering is out which is fine. I am just kind of a "man's man" at times and enjoy the notion of cooking what one catches but I can certainly admire the tasty guys with out putting them in a pot.

For clarification i am approaching 100 dives but have only logged 30 dives this year... All of the almost 100 have been in lakes and rivers. I think the best vis. I have logged is like 35 feet which is acutally impressive for fresh water.

I subjectively would use the word "bad site" as I know the worst site will blow away the best sites here locally. And having never dove Coz pre/post Wilma I am certainly not in a position to join that debate but if I did I am sure I would have to say that either condition would blow away the first 100 dives I have made....

In any event thanks again. The folks on this board have been very helpful in me making preperations for my trip....

If it's on the agenda Tortuga reef across the channel is always worth while. You might see 15 turtles and you might see 40. Plus moray eels if you keep your eyes peeled.

I been to Coz 4 times in the last 1 1/2 years, and will be back (for Christi). I seem to have alove affair with the place.

Two trips (may and June) this year were post Wilma. A lot of the soft corals are gone from the shallow reefs, but as said, they are still good dives depending on where lese you are comparing them too. In that sense there really are only a couple reefs that I didn't care for this year. If history repeats itself you can expect to see a lot of marine life--even on the reefs that are "changed".

And I do have to say that the worst site you may encounter is better than a lake or quarry 100' or more viz is pretty normal and when you get on some ugly reef it's still in the 60-80' range.

Have fun.

bfisher:
If it's on the agenda Tortuga reef across the channel is always worth while. You might see 15 turtles and you might see 40. Plus moray eels if you keep your eyes peeled.

I believe that the Cozumel dive ops have stopped going across to dive Tortuga.

ggun, the reason I mention it is beause I was over there in June with Dive Paradise.

bfisher:
ggun, the reason I mention it is beause I was over there in June with Dive Paradise.

I have gone there (Tortuga) with Blue Angel as well, but according to Christi, that has all stopped now due to complaints by the dive ops over on the mainland. She says that the new rule against Coz ops going over there is being enforced by the harbor master over there and the fines are steep.

I wonder, though, if the rule is reciprocal. Christi?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom