Diving Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're planning a trip to Cancun area in November, and were thinking about a day trip to Cozumel.

Seems most people really like it but I've come across a couple comments like this. Any feedback?

"just got back from playa, very nice, second time there, i was dissapointed with coz, very little fish life, reef were nothing special, plus you have drag your gear to the dive shop, in august this was not fun, don't mean to be negative, but ferry ride is $22.00 each, plus $60.00 for two tank dive, plus tip, it gets expensive"

You are going to be hard-pressed to find divers who think so little of Coz.

Dave (aka "Squirt)

Countdown to Coz for my fourth time: 32 days

paperdesk:
We're planning a trip to Cancun area in November, and were thinking about a day trip to Cozumel.

Seems most people really like it but I've come across a couple comments like this. Any feedback?

"just got back from playa, very nice, second time there, i was dissapointed with coz, very little fish life, reef were nothing special, plus you have drag your gear to the dive shop, in august this was not fun, don't mean to be negative, but ferry ride is $22.00 each, plus $60.00 for two tank dive, plus tip, it gets expensive"

I love Cozumel diving, but if you're in Cancun wanting to dive Cozumel, it's an all day trip. Count on three hours travel time each way, and meeting a dive op for a morning dive means a very early morning departure, as most ops head out between 8 and 8:30. You might do an afternoon dive, but not all ops do them, so you'd have to arrange it. Blue Angel does a large boat dive that is a diver/snorkeler mix that departs about 10 am.

Don't know which site on Coz. they dove, or which year, but there seem to be more fish now than ever...although there is sand on some of the reefs.

You have to scroll down to below the trip report to get to the pictures.

You never know all the details that lead to a post like that. Maybe their expectations were too high, maybe it was a bad day, who knows? Factually, there is some basis for some of what that person said, but I can't agree with the general conclusion. Coz is definitely worth a day trip from Cancun.

On some dives in Cozumel, you will not see the large numbers of fish that you see on some sites on the mainland side of the channel, particularly the large aggregations of grunts and snappers. I got certified in Cancun and I remember making the day trip to Cozumel and thinking that there weren't as many fish, at least on the sites we saw. Part of that was probably just that, as a new diver, I was not nearly as aware of all the life on the reef, so I really only noticed the bigger fish that were easier to see. I did, however, always think the reefs were spectacular.

If you take the ferry over, you probably will have to lug your gear to the dive shop. If you have a decent bag for it, that shouldn't be a big problem. Or just get it to the end fo the pier and get a cab. That's just kind of the way it works when you take the ferry over, so why whine about it? Did they expect the dive shop to meet them at the ferry?

I've been there since Wilma and lots of other people on the board have been there several times since Wilma, and I think we will all tell you that, even after Wilma, Coz is a fantastic place to dive and you would be making a mistake if you didn't make the trip over.

Reading most reports, seems people are almost always happy they visited Coz! We're be staying in Akumal most of the time. Are there ferries from anywhere besids Cancun?

You might consider going over to Cozumel the afternoon before and staying the night. Most ops have office hours in the evening until 8 or 9; you could do the paperwork and meet them then, catch a meal at one of the great Coz eateries, and then have an unhurried morning meetup with the boat.

paperdesk:
Reading most reports, seems people are almost always happy they visited Coz! We're be staying in Akumal most of the time. Are there ferries from anywhere besids Cancun?

The ferry is actually from Playa del Carmen...not Cancun..which is good news for you :)

As someone said above, who knows what leads to a post like that..but it is true that unless you are renting gear from the dive shop, you would have to bring your gear over on the ferry.

The ferry is in fact $11 per person each way.

A two-tank dive in Cozumel is anywhere between $60ish and $80ish depending on who you go with. There are currently 80ish dive shops on the island and you will find whatever you are looking for. There is literally a dive shop for everyones budget, preferences, and schedule in Cozumel. If you post some things you are looking for in a dive shop, I'm sure you'll get alot of suggestions.

The diving in Cozumel always has been more about the spectacular formations than the fish...although we do have some great marine life as well. If you can make it over for a morning dive, your chances of visiting the southern reefs is probably greater.

I agree with everyone else...to be in Akumal and not dive Coz at least one day would really be a shame :)

Have a great trip regardles:)

GGunn has the right idea. Do it on Sunday late afternoon have a nice dinner, Watch the Free entertainment in the Plaza every Sunday night from 7:30 till 10 and stay in a inexpensive hotel off the plaza for $40. Morning dives on Monday have dive shop hold your gear the rest of the day, nice lunch at Casa Denis then walk the area or head for the east side relax on a secluded beach visit the cantina's there pick up your gear then back across to the main land. Makes for a great 24 hours.

Great idea about spending the night there, although since we already have our lodgings paid for in Akumal we might not end up doing that. However, I like the thought. We'd take our own gear, but not such a problem. Reading your posts makes me really want to take the trip! Hope it works out.

BTW, maybe I'll hijack my own post, and ask if there is any duty fee required for bringing in personal SCUBA equip? They never bothered us before but here's what the Dept of State reads:

"Tourists are allowed to bring in their personal effects duty-free. According to customs regulations, in addition to clothing, personal effects may include one camera, one video cassette player, one personal computer, one CD player, 5 DVDs, 20 music CDs or audiocassettes, 12 rolls of unused film, and one cellular phone. Any tourist carrying such items, even if duty-free, should enter the "Merchandise to Declare" lane at the first customs "

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom