Cozumel in October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PJC

Registered
Reaction score
I posted an enquiry in the general travel forum looking for suggestions of where to go in October for a week as a single diver based in London. I had been thinking Red Sea but I've just found a cheap flight to Cancun so now I'm thinking Cozumel instead.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the hurricane risk - particularly given Wilma hit in late October last year. Should I be worried? And if I do manage to dodge the hurricanes, how is the weather / diving conditions normally at that time of year?

Thanks
PJ

PJC:
I posted an enquiry in the general travel forum looking for suggestions of where to go in October for a week as a single diver based in London. I had been thinking Red Sea but I've just found a cheap flight to Cancun so now I'm thinking Cozumel instead.

However, I'm a bit concerned about the hurricane risk - particularly given Wilma hit in late October last year. Should I be worried? And if I do manage to dodge the hurricanes, how is the weather / diving conditions normally at that time of year?

Thanks
PJ

Cozumel in October is great, excluding October last, anyway. There is still some hurricane risk in October, but as this season is much less active than last year's, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We're going at the end of October to Cozumel. We purchased vacation insurance for this trip, since it is still hurricane season. Historically, hurricane season ends offically in November and slows down about mid October. Fortunately, we've never needed to use the insurance. But we feel it's cheap enough and worth the peace of mind. I also agree that the storms have been mild this year. Less than one month to go now - I can't wait!

Leaving for Coz in 22 days (18 Oct - 1 Nov) ...staying at the Scuba Club for a week by myself, then the girlfriend will be coming down and we will stay at the Palace for a week...life is sweet!

Any one else from the Board plan on being there?

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Dave,

Looks like we'll miss you - we are staying at the Scuba Club, starting October 25th. Happy diving!

Yeah, can't echo the theme of getting the trip insurance enough. Wilma hit the very week we were to be there last year and we really had a rough time re-couping our funds, planning other trips there, etc..... A real pain.

However, I have been there in October before and found the conditions to be the quite excellent. I'd try again for sure for that time frame, just with the insurance.

Mark

I tend to agree also that the Hurricane season is much less active this season (I was in Utila when Wilma came through last season). I'm goint to be in Cozumel between Oct. 14-21st, Barracuda Hotel. Certainly will be up for an 'adult beverage' or two

Hi. Just returned from 2 weeks in Cozumel a few days ago. The trend was brief afternoon showers (sometimes heavy but over in half to one hour) almost daily. Temperatures around 30 Celsius middle of the day and lower 20's C in the night. Humidity was still pretty high - so you'd probably need a/c hotel room. It is low-tourist season (fewer divers on the boats, lower room rates) although several cruise ships still come in weekly so the town will be filled with cruise passengers certain days. If you're in Cozumel for a few days, it's worth checking out Playa Del Carmen and dive the cenotes on the mainland. It is the tailend of hurricane season. Even there haven't been any bad ones like previous years, I'd purchase travel insurance - it's worth every penny if you have to use it.
Dive safely.

Here's a great link on hurricane averages for Cozumel:

http://stormcarib.com/climatology/MMCZ_weekly.htm

StormCarib is a great site for tracking hurricanes around the caribbean, including local people on the islands who write in reports. Home page: http://stormcarib.com/

I'm headed to COZ 04-Nov-06, a week later than several of you. Please leave some food and a likkle booze for me. Buenos Noches!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom