Trip Report - Blue XTSea / Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The Trip

Not sure what to say other than wow :) My girlfriend Lisa and I just got back from a great weekend trip to Cozumel.

First I wanted to thank Christi for making this my best trip to Cozumel and one of my best trips anywhere. I emailed her about doing the AOW course with her and she recommended a plan that turned into a great trip.

Secondly, I wanted to thank all of Christi's crew and folks that were involved well. Thank you Mago, Adan, Jackie(sp?), Santos, Sandra and Jake (I still need the link :)) Everyone involved were great to deal with and made the trip that much better.

The Hotel

Christi suggested Casa Mexicana as a nice place to stay in town that was close to her shop and the pier for daily pickups. This worked out great for us. The hotel is very nice, so nice that we felt a little bad about coming back dripping from the boat everyday, but they did not seem to mind :) The breakfast buffet was outstanding. Everyday it was something different and very good.

The Dive Op

Blue XTSea - What else can I say? Granted I'm a newbie with less than 50 dives and I've only done dives with a few dive ops in Cozumel, but I love Christi's op. Great people, great service, everything I would look for in an op. She will be my first call anytime I think of heading to Cozumel going forward.

The Gear

Being excited about the trip, Lisa and I bought a bunch of new gadgets and gear to take along. I liked my Tusa BP-2 bag, it worked really well for this type of trip. I didn't think about it much during the trip, but my new Atomic B2 reg did well. With my old Oceanic reg, I was always messing with it trying to make it perform better. With the B2, I just kinda forgot about it and dived and it worked as good at 5 feet as it did at 100 feet. Lisa's Oceanic GT-3 was giving her a little trouble with the first stage whistling at different depths during the dive. She had to return her first Oceanic GT-3 for this problem and now the replacement is doing it as well.

I really liked my Dive Rite Transpac for this kind of diving. It was light and packed well and did the job great. I did miss my integrated weight pockets once though when I bobbled a 4lb'er while getting back on the boat and lost it :shakehead Lisa liked her Oceanic Islander, but already has been talking about getting a Zeagle BCD next. My Apollo Bio-fins worked pretty well. I was able to zip around in the lighter currents and keep up in the moderate ones, but the DM made it look a little easier in her blade fins. Granted she deals with it everyday though.

My one semi-complaint was my Oceanic VT-3 computer. This is my first hoseless computer. I really like loosing the hose and having this on a retractor, but the alarms were killing me. Low dive time remaining, no dive time remaining, turn around time, etc. These alarms were going off well before my NDLs or air was running low and got to be quite annoying for me and probably other divers as well. I'm going to spend some time configuring the computer to reduce those alarms if possible. The one major problem was link loss. If I held the computer in front of me for any length of time (like a safety stop) it would lose link to the transmitter. This wasn't a huge deal since I was mostly watching my depth and time at that point, but it was annoying. And as you know any little annoyance on a good dive is amplified.

The Dives

1. Shore dive from Playa Villa Blanca - This was my GF's first time in the ocean after getting certified in August back in Dallas. So we thought instead of just dropping her off a boat for her first dive that we would do a shore dive to get her warmed up for Cozumel. Little did I know she was going to be more comfortable with Cozumel diving than I was :)

Topside this location is really nice now. They have rebuilt it very well. This would be a nice place to come and swim/snorkel and enjoy a drink under the sun. Underwater was kind of sad for me though. Its a lot different than when I dove it in June 2005 during my OW certification classes. The upside was I saw tons of baby fish, so it appears things are trying to come back. We saw three scorpion fish, a couple of eels and a Sailfin Blenny there.

We were doing our AOW course, so each dive after this corresponded to a course in the program:

2. Palanacar Caves - 83 ft max. - Peak Performance Buoyancy - After we did our weight checks and buoyancy practices, we got to tour the reef a bit. It blew us away. We couldn't get enough of the tall coral formations and swim throughs. Saw lobster, nurse shark, etc. The best moment was seeing a big (to us) Loggerhead Turtle glide gracefully off into the abyss. My first thought was to follow it, but quickly remembered the 80 foot max we were set to follow.

3. Columbia Shallows - 32 ft max - Underwater Navigation - Sandra worked in our navigation drills as we dove along the reef. This was a shallow reef that was teaming with critters. The Lizardfish was the one that stuck with me.

4. Paradise Reef - 41 ft max. - Night Dive - This was our first Cozumel night dive and it was cool. We dove with Jackie and Jake and had to deal with a moderate current. We missed the reef a bit so we started with lots of finning. My Apollo split fins got me through it, but Jackie made it look much easier with her blade fins. Saw lots of things that were not in abundance on the other dives like lobster, crabs, an octopus, a spanish lobster, tons of stingrays and sea turtles. I really enjoyed it.

5. Columbia Normal - 100 ft max - Deep dive - I was pretty nervous about this one. I told Christi I had been reading too much Scubaboard and had the deep dive worked up too much in my head. We rolled off the boat and dropped straight down. We landed at what I thought was about 70 feet and I whipped up the computer and we were lower than that :) I was ok at first, but we stayed a couple of minutes to do these skills and I got very narc'ed. At first it was just a tingle, but as I continued to huff away at the reg, it got more intense. It was a weird feeling coupled with a decent amount of confusion. It was euphoric though, no overwhealming sense of panic but I knew I needed to go up. I told Christi I was narc'ed and we swam up to 95 feet or so and my head cleared. Apparently I gave some mixed signals while narc'ed as well my GF later told me, but it seemed right at the time. Of course I had to take some ribbing from Christi and my GF Lisa for being the only one that got narc'ed :)

After we completed the dive skills that were required, we did the reef and it was also very nice. Lots of long swim throughs and beautiful coral formations. Although I was still a bit rattled from the narcosis and missed a lot of it :)

6. Palancar Gardens - 64 ft. max - Fish ID - Once upon a time in college I was a marine biology major, so this class was especially interesting to me. As much fun as it sounded on paper, the task of identifying a fully populated Cozumel reef was pretty overwhelming. After Christi helped us a ton in identifiying fish, we finally quit ID'ing and just enjoyed the end of the dive. Lots more swim throughs there as well. I'm already forgetting the names of all the fish, but I remember names like Seargent Major, Angelfish, Chub, Grunts, Blue Chromis, Rock Hind, Black Grouper, Basslets, Blue Gobies, Trunkfish, on and on. Before the class I had always admired the fish but never realized how many different different types are populating those reefs. It was quite eye opening.

Summary

Wow, this started out as a small post and quickly grew as the excitement from the weekend came back while reminicing about it. Sorry for the rambling :)

I recommend this plan for anyone thinking about doing AOW. It was MUCH better than doing it in Lake Travis back in Texas and not really a whole lot more expensive for the diving/class part itself. Christi and her group made it awesome. Unfortunately we remembered to pack everything but our cameras for this trip, dangit.

While writing this and reflecting back on it now, I just begin to realize how much information was packed into that weekend by our hosts. We learned much more about Cozumel above and below the water than I had in my previous 3 trips to the island. Thanks again, Christi.

Jarrett,

Great Post!! You got me more excited about our upcoming weekend trip to Cozumel on October 20.

Having done my AOW dives in Lake Travis, I can agree that Cozumel is a much better place to do the dives.

Jarrett-
Great post, thanks for sharing. We did the same trip with Christi and Casa Mexicana last June and will be heading back during Easter break 07.
What a great combination, can't say enough about Christi and the Gang. Casa Mexicana is the cleanest hotel I have ever seen. In the spotless contest,they beat the Four Seasons on Nevis by a mile!!!
We went with our two teenagers, and would play a game where we would wander the hotel at all hours of the night just to see if there was ever a moment someone wasn't cleaning something. For goodness sake, they wash the stairs and the walls each day!
Well, glad you had such a wonderful trip. Sounds like you'll go back too!
Thanks again for sharing!
Susan

Susan, I can't wait to go back. I was just talking to my friend Rex yesterday and he is scheduled to do this same trip in a few weeks. I am so jealous! :)

I can't wait until Lisa and I can get back down to Coz with Christi. I guess we need to start planning now so we can get on her boats before they fill up!

Jarret-
One question for you since you did the same trip as us and maybe you had a better idea.
As we're going on about how perfect the trip was, there was only one thing I thought was a minor inconvenience. Each day we met the boat with our personal gear, mask, fins, wetsuits etc. After diving, we lugged the stuff back to our hotel and then proceeded to rinse everything in the bathtub and then try to hang it wherever we could to dry, mostly on the balcony. Dragging the wet stuff across the room making the tile floors treacherous, and using up all our bath towels.
On our first trip, we had only our personal gear, the bc's and regs were retal and stayed on the boat with Christi's people, magically appearing the next day.
This trip will be different. We now have al our own stuff, so in addition to wetsuits and the like, I suspect we'll be lugging our BC's, regs, computers, and cameras.
I'm dreading having to submerge all this stuff in the bathtub and I'm anticipating a real mess each day. Small price to pay for such a great time, I admit, but it sure would be nice if you found a better way or at least a stray fresh water hose near the dock or at the hotel. Of course, there's that darling little pool in the lobby which would make an excellent dunk tank if they would just stop with the chlorine (ha ha)
Well, again, it's not going to stop me from going back, we'll be thre in the spring, but it never hurts to ask. It wouldn't be the first time I've done things the "hard" way.
I'm going to email Christi as well and see what she says.

susan6868,
when i last dove with christi, the only thing i kept was my wetsuit.
all my other gear stayed on her boat.
her crew would rinse and store everyones gear.
the next day they would set it all back up.
didn't have to worry about it until your last day of diving.
regards,

susan6868:
Each day we met the boat with our personal gear, mask, fins, wetsuits etc. After diving, we lugged the stuff back to our hotel and then proceeded to rinse everything in the bathtub and then try to hang it wherever we could to dry, mostly on the balcony

Susan, we will keep everything except your wetsuits (and cameras)...it's a standard part of our service and has been since my first day in business. The crew must have thought you were keeping your mask/fins for snorkeling as some people like to do. We don't keep the wetsuits for hygenic reasons :)

Christi-
Okay- so I'm not the brightest bulb on the string! But don't don't forget I'm one of your biggest fans, and I've never had my very own equipment before!!!! (And so don't smack me in the head when I get there in March)
And about the wetsuit thing- nobody actually pees in their wetsuit, do they? (ha ha)
I'm new, but not that new!
Thanks for setting the record straight,
Your Airhead Customer,
Susan:babycrawl

susan6868:
Christi-
Okay- so I'm not the brightest bulb on the string! But don't don't forget I'm one of your biggest fans, and I've never had my very own equipment before!!!! (And so don't smack me in the head when I get there in March)
And about the wetsuit thing- nobody actually pees in their wetsuit, do they? (ha ha)
I'm new, but not that new!
Thanks for setting the record straight,
Your Airhead Customer,
Susan:babycrawl

Haha...no worries :) I thought it was cute actually...and you may be an "airhead" (in your own words) but I love ya and I'm looking forward to seeing you guys in March!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom