Equipment to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Namchief

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Being a new diver <50 dives and this is my first trip to Cozumel. I am going over my need to bring list. I am taking my AOW while down there including a night dive. was thinking of getting a SL4 l.e.d. for around here for daytime looking into sunken boats.... but have not been on a night dive. What should I bring or should I just rent while I am down there 1-2 night dives. What other lights should I get? I see threads about strobes and such. What is suggested? Thanks

Namchief:
Being a new diver <50 dives and this is my first trip to Cozumel. I am going over my need to bring list. I am taking my AOW while down there including a night dive. was thinking of getting a SL4 l.e.d. for around here for daytime looking into sunken boats.... but have not been on a night dive. What should I bring or should I just rent while I am down there 1-2 night dives. What other lights should I get? I see threads about strobes and such. What is suggested? Thanks

I provide a flashlight for the AOW night dive :) I have the UK LED C4's...very nice lights :)

Strobes are used with underwater cameras. No need to have them for non-photography diving :)

Hiya Namchief,

The SL4LED is a pretty OK dive torch and should suffice as a primary for your Adventure in Night Dive. I've seen and used worse torches for primaries in my night dives. It's compact and throws out sufficient light.

The strobes I think you mentioned are emergency/marker strobes. They can be used but if this is your 1st night dive, a cyalum stick would be sufficient and they go for no more than a couple of bucks. Alternatively, a Glo-toob is nice for the re-usable factor. Hope it helps! :D

Sorry for the mixup when I said strobe I did mean emergency not photographic. Thanks for all the input.
25 MORE DAYS TILL COZ!!!

Hi Namchief, I doubt if you'll need an emergency strobe. Even if you have an emergency, it's better to use your primary light to signal your diveboat, rather than having a blinking strobe.
SL4 LED sounds good as a primary. Maybe you can add a 4 AA-cell LED such as PrincetonTech Impact XL or UK Q40 LED as backup. I tend to travel light so I leave the large D-cell divelights at home (the water is so much clearer in Cozumel, I don't need a powerful dive light). Besides, Christi has good dive lights for rent if you need them. I use the Glo-toob (tied to my tank) that Goodeatsfan mentioned - best marker light for night dive that I've used. Most other brands I've used flood after a few dives. I used to bring extra batteries on dive trips, but the new LED lights last so long, I don't do so any more.
Assuming you have your set of gear, I'd bring a safety sausage (in case you get separated or surface early). I'd also bring a stash of $1 and $5 bills for tipping at the hotel, cab, diveboat etc.
Enjoy your trip!

Namchief:
I am taking my AOW while down there including a night dive.

My GF and I just got back for doing my AOW with Christi last weekend and it was a blast! You are going to love it.

I bought a $100 some kind of 3-bulb LED light when I first got certified for all the night dives I was going to do... I think I have used it like twice :) Once being the AOW night dive last weekend. I also have a mini Q40 (i think) that was supposed to be my backup light. It was a little green looking under water though.

If I had it to do over again I would buy a small, but bright light to carry with me on day dives to peak into the nooks and crannies and just rent the big lights on the night dives. I liked the ones that Christi has for rent better than my big one. Sounds funny but the were less bright and just seemed more appropriate for the night dive. I had mine pointed behind me or at my chest for most of the dive. Or hey, you want to buy mine? :)

I bought a UK LED C-4 after renting a few times in Cozumel. Leisurepro was running a special and it really only cost about 4 times the rental to buy one. Aside from taking AOW, if you think you'll be going on more night dives it's worth the investment.

If you want opinions on specific lights, there's a forum for lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom