Cozumel-Allegro Occidental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wazz_zup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi ya'll. Gonna be down in Cozumel staying at the Allegro Occidantal resort this month from the 21st to the 28th. I'm traveling with my non-diver wife so just checking to see if any other divers would be staying at the resort this week. I plan to utilize the resort dive shop, Dive Palancar to check things out (safety/DM quality, sites visited, etc.) And if things don't work out, I'll be calling Jeanie at Blue Angel Dive Shop. Good communication via email with them and looks like good reviews on the boards here. If anybody's interested drop me a note.
Thanks, Rich

I started diving with Dive Palancar in 1994, when I retired. I have gone every year since then to the Allegro and in February 2006 to the Grand, since the Allegro was still closed because of Wilma.

I agree that dive masters make the difference. My first instructor/dive master at the Allegro was Allison Dennis, and this year William, Joshua, and Gustavo, Jr. (with dive shop mentor, Carlos for every year since 1994).

As a senior citizen (I just had my 70th birthday), I intend to go back to the Allegro and/or the Grand and dive as long as I safely can. We have just booked the Grand for December

I have particularly enjoyed watching my dive masters grow up, starting as helpers and progressing to certification as dive masters who are caring, professional, and speak fluent English to answer any questions that I might have.

There have been great dives, some strong currents...some reversed, rough water… fantastic coral formations, angels, eagle rays, turtles sharks, etc.

The boat captains and all of the dive masters follow strict PADI protocol, and I never was concerned about my welfare, since everyone really cared, knew what they were doing, and made suggestions on how I could improve my diving skills.

In February 2006 we divers surfaced after a great dive at Dalila. The weather was rough when we started the dive, but we not prepared for what we saw when we surfaced. The weather had become so bad that it was difficult to see the boat, but not impossible. The surf was much worse than when we had started, and we knew that it would be difficult to board the boat.

Things went as expected with no difficulty. The boat came to us, backed up, threw out a line, and we waited our turn to board. It was very difficult to grab the line because of the pitch of the boat was about six feet, maybe more. I was second from last to get on the boat and. Joshua our dive master was of course last…I think there were three pairs of hands to help me get into the boat as I went up the ladder

Once on board, there were no dive boats in view (a first in my experience as a diver on Cozumel). we heard later that the port was closed .The surf had become so rough that we had to get off the boat at the Allegro pier since the newer pier at the Grand offered no relief from the surf because of its pilings. The pier at the Allegro, as you know, is made of concrete, and it was possible to disembark on the side opposite the direction of the surf.

I hope this helps you.

Mike

To bad we will miss you buy 6 days or you could dive us! We just started back offering travel, the first one is the Allegro Resort Trip Nov 4th thru the 6th. We will post more trips as soon as we book them!

If things don't work out with Dive Palancar, you'll be very happy with Blue Angel. I've used them, and they're a good operation.

Thanks Firefyter, that's good to hear. Hopping on the plane tomorrow morning.
icon_biggrin.gif

scubatoys:
To bad we will miss you buy 6 days or you could dive us! We just started back offering travel, the first one is the Allegro Resort Trip Nov 4th thru the 6th. We will post more trips as soon as we book them!

Sounds like a busy weekend for the Allegro with the Scubadillo's there at the same time. I'm sure it will be a great time, hehe.

Just got back last night and I'm happy to report Dive Palancar was a great dive company. The dive masters Ishmel, William, Sergio and Alberto were all great. (I think there's others, but I can't remember all their names.) I even lucked out one day when the boat was light on divers and got a one-on-one dive with Ishmel. But most of the time the boats had anywhere from 5-15 divers at once. We did swim throughs, they always spotted things like lobsters, bat rays, sharks, baracudas, morray eels that I wouldn't have seen. We even ran into a school of young black tip reef sharks! That was exciting. I'd say the only down side was they tend to be conservative on the bottom time. Not that they're in a hurry at all, but just concerned/responsible for your safety. I was consistanly coming up with 1200 to 1500 lbs of air. I hope to dive with them in the future.

Rich,

Sounds like you had a good time. Hopefully your non-diving sweetheart also had a good time.

Did you both enjoy the Allegro? How was the atmosphere and food? What reefs did you dive? Please post photos if you have them.

Thanks for the update. We will be there this weekend.

Blue Moon

Blue Moon:
Rich,

Sounds like you had a good time. Hopefully your non-diving sweetheart also had a good time.

Did you both enjoy the Allegro? How was the atmosphere and food? What reefs did you dive? Please post photos if you have them.

Thanks for the update. We will be there this weekend.

Blue Moon

Hi there Blue Moon, Yes we both had a great time. The hotel is running at about 45 % full so not too crowded at any time. I asked about the next week (now current) and still 'bout 1/2 full. Food was all good, but breakfast was the best. Killer omelets!
Let me see, we dove Horseshoe Palancar, Delila and Delila Whitehouse, Columbia...the best in my opinion, Cedral pass. I'll see about posting some pics later...my laptop battery is dying :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom