Looking for Breakfast!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are trying to put an early January trip together.

We usually stay at FA, and have enjoyed their AI for anytime breakfast, lunch, and cold bottled water. The occasional late night dinner after a night dive is a nice perk as well. Even with the majority of dinners enjoyed in town, the AI has been worth the extra money.

The problem this time is that FA seems to have significantly raised their prices.

On this trip, we are looking at Caribe Blu, Casa del Mar, and Casa Mexicana.
This trip is a tight budget trip, so a hotel that serves cheap or inclusive breakfast and lunch would help. We will go to town for dinner.

I am leaning toward Caribe Blu for the shore diving. We can enjoy afternoon and night dives from shore, which will also save some money.
Is breakfast included at Caribe Blu?
Casa Mexicana, or Casa del Mar?
How about any other suggestions?

Hotel Cozumel sounds as if it will fit the bill for you. It's reasonable. Close to Caribe Blu, though I doubt either hotel would classify it's beach dive as all that great. Hotel Coz has an AI option for a reasonable price. Food is decent, nothing great but I like your plan of hitting town for dinner. Rooms are good and clean, but again, nothing fancy. Nice pool, though the activities around the pool (bingo, games, cheesy stage shows) can be a little loud in the evening. It's a good idea to request an ocean view room just to get away from the evening noise IMHO. Any dive op can pickup at their easy access pier, though Dive Paradise has the onsite shop there and gets most of their customers. Stayed there once last year and we enjoyed them. I'd go back. http://www.hotelcozumel.us/index3.php

Mark

Hey DD,

Stayed at Caribe Blu in April, you can buy breakfast from the restrant above the dive shop in the morning, good food. The restrant is open for morning and afternoon, they close at I believe 4:00 PM.

Tom

PS. I dont think you will care for a night dive from shore as there is not much to see from shore but then again you will get wet for free. Just not alot of rocks and other cover for fish or hunters off shore. Just my .02

Breakfast is included at Casa del Mar, and it was pretty good. I stayed there at the end of May. At that time they had a deal that worked out to getting AI for the price of what they usually charge for just the room.

I was pleasantly surprised with breakfast and the few lunches and dinners I had there. (Most of the evenings I did go to town which is a $4 taxi ride). The evenings I did night dives I stopped and ordered at the restaurant, went to my room and put on dry clothes then came back and my dinner was ready.

Dive boat pick up was across the street at the Atlantis pier. I don't believe that Del Mar Aquatics has rebuilt their dive shop and dock yet.

If you want to check prices for Casa del Mar, go to their website www.casadelmarcozumel.com, and send them and email asking about specials for your specific dates. Unless you're traveling at a peak time or over a holiday, they will often offer you something even when the site doesn't have anything listed.

Casa del Mar had free breakfast the last few times I stayed there...I think they also have an AI option.

Rendez Blu...Caribe Blu's restaurant...has breakfast for about $3-$4 bucks.

Never stayed at Casa Mexicana.

Ooops, Scubawife posted as I was typing. :D

As for Casa del Mar's specials...I usually book a regular room and then ask for an ocean view upgrade once I get there. They usually do it at no extra charge...if they have one open.

As for the pier...when I went by there in June it was still...gone. Along with the majority of the Del Mar Aquatics dive shop, and the little beach they were making some improvements on a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the info on Casa del Mar.
That may be exactly what I'm looking for!

The Caribe Blu $3 - $4 meals seem to be a good deal too.

Here's some pics. of the Del Mar Aquatics shop (it's the white pile of rubble next to the red building), the front of the hotel, the place where the pier used to be, and what's left of the beach area next to the Atlantis pier.

In June the hotel and restaurant looked to be in good shape, except some vegetation and palm trees were gone. Don't know how much repair has been done on it by now. I stayed at Caribe Blu that time just for a change of pace and not having to pack dive gear across the street or the pedestrian overpass. Casa del Mar usually has good air/hotel deals on the charter flights, from DFW anyway, but listen to Scubawife's advise...she's the travel pro.

What's up DD? Hope you're doing well. I stayed at Casa Mexicana in June 05 and the breakfast was fantastic and included. Many days we did not eat lunch or need a cab to get to dinner so that may even things out a bit with Caribe Blue or Casa Del Mar. With budget in mind I'd pass on the ocean view at CM. You'll be in a boat all week anyway!

I hear you on FA. Putting together a trip for next summer and it was actually cheaper for us (4 adult 2 kids) to stay in a 3BR condo at El Cantil than 2 rooms at FA.

Have a good time!

sealskin98:
Casa del Mar usually has good air/hotel deals on the charter flights, from DFW anyway, but listen to Scubawife's advise...she's the travel pro.

:blinking: Sealskin, you are too kind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom