Got the Green Light Blues!!! Trip Booked!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harpua

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes! Its official, We are heading back to Cozumel for third year running. I am sooo stoked. Yes, I used the word stoked. The only problem is having to wait until March. Ug. Oh well. By the way, does anyone on the Coz forum have any experience diving in Puerto Rico? I have some friends and it might be a nice long-weekend type trip to help me get through my extra long SI. I poked around a little on the board, but didn't really find much...

I've done several dives in Culebra, PR. Wonderful small island and very good diving and is GREAT for snorklers. Most dives sites are ~ 40-50 ft so we had long bottom times. Lots of marine life- very healthy reef around this island. I look forward to a return trip there.
Jean

Two years ago I went to Copamarina in Guanica, on the SW coast. www.copamarina.com We got a great deal for a 5 day trip. The dive op was a bit of a screw up with poor management and inbetween captains so we didn't get in all the diving we booked. (If I ever go back I'd dive with La Paguera Divers and not Dive Copamarina.) The dives we did do were nice. They've only recently implemented the use of bouys rather then anchoring boats and there have been no real fishing regulations so the marine life was not that diverse or overly abundant. The walls were easy dives and nice with lots of fans and coral. Shallower reefs were ok. It' won't come close to what you've seen in Cozumel but if you go without any big expectations you'll enjoy it.

The resort was very nice and we liked it. We had an AI plan it was well worth it as it's not really close to many restaurants and the menu prices were $$.

There's other interesting stuff in the area - the bioluminescent bay, dry forest, very scenic drives along the coast and through the mountains.

Overall, if it's a great deal that you can't beat then go and have fun. If it's close to what you can get for the same time in Cozumel, Caymans, Turks & Caicos, Curacao... then skip it and pick a destination with better diving.

scubawife:
Two years ago I went to Copamarina in Guanica, on the SW coast. www.copamarina.com We got a great deal for a 5 day trip. The dive op was a bit of a screw up with poor management and inbetween captains so we didn't get in all the diving we booked. (If I ever go back I'd dive with La Paguera Divers and not Dive Copamarina.) The dives we did do were nice. They've only recently implemented the use of bouys rather then anchoring boats and there have been no real fishing regulations so the marine life was not that diverse or overly abundant. The walls were easy dives and nice with lots of fans and coral. Shallower reefs were ok. It' won't come close to what you've seen in Cozumel but if you go without any big expectations you'll enjoy it.

The resort was very nice and we liked it. We had an AI plan it was well worth it as it's not really close to many restaurants and the menu prices were $$.

There's other interesting stuff in the area - the bioluminescent bay, dry forest, very scenic drives along the coast and through the mountains.

Overall, if it's a great deal that you can't beat then go and have fun. If it's close to what you can get for the same time in Cozumel, Caymans, Turks & Caicos, Curacao... then skip it and pick a destination with better diving.
Sounds like our experience to a T.
I agree completely with scubawife's assessment. We stayed at Copamarina, the resort was very nice. The dive Op was majorly screwed up, the people who were in charge of it when we were there were very nice (I hear they have had a hard time keeping anyone) the only problem was whether or not the boat was going to start in the morning. Don't be fooled by the picture of the beautiful boat, that one is not usable.
The preceding comments are from my experience about 4 years ago so things may have changed since then. I've noticed on their website they aren't advertising at a "Dive Resort" anymore, they are now calling it a "Beach Resort"..

Back
Top Bottom