It's been one year...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
One year ago, we were watching as Wilma headed straight for us but still completely unaware of what we were in for or that we would be captive in our boarded up homes a/k/a “caves” for the next 50 hours.

On October 18th, we were monitoring Wilma as a tropical depression, not even predicted to make landfall in the Yucatan…at that time, Cuba was in more danger than anyone. Just before I went to bed that night, she was upgraded to a tropical storm. Literally overnight, she developed from a tropical storm to the most intense category 5 hurricane in history to form in the Atlantic and she was now predicted to make a direct hit on our little island. Less than 48 hours later, the eye of Wilma made landfall on Cozumel and completely engulfed the island, just three months after Category 4 Emily made her claim on the island.

With little time to prepare, we rushed to help our divers get off the island, secure our homes, our businesses, our boats, our pets, and our loved ones to make sure that we were as secure and safe as possible…leaving the island was no longer an option as of this morning, October 20th, 2005. Ferry boats were gone and planes were not landing or taking off in Cozumel or Cancun.

Who could imagine the wrath and fury that Wilma would bring…or the duration she would torment us. She battered us relentlessly for a solid 40 to 50 hours, with no mercy. The next three days would be sleepless, wet, horrifying, and emotional.

My bathroom became our “dry place” where we ate “gourmet” peanut butter or tuna sandwiches or tortilla wraps by candlelight in between massive squeegee sessions as the winds and rain pounded us outside. At times we could actually feel the house shake, we could feel the pressure drop more and we actually had to equalize inside my house. As the water rose outside, we began to move our more vital supplies upstairs to protect them from the rising water. This was real life survivor, but the worst was yet to come.

As I reflect back one year ago, I just want to express my sincerest thanks to all of you who stood by all of us and supported the island during this time. Your prayers, donations, thoughts, sentiments…and most importantly your faith in this little island means more than you can probably ever imagine. Those of you who have returned once or twice or even multiple times since Wilma have especially helped the island get through this year. God Bless you all!

We are all starting to breathe a sigh of relief now that this season is coming to an end and we’ve been spared…everyone has been spared…thank God!

On a more personal level, I want to share a special thank you to my “house guests” during Wilma. Jason, Becky, Bob and Noelle…I am not happy that you had to experience this awful storm…but I am very grateful that it was the four of you that were here to ride the storm out with me, Emma, Alex and Luke. You not only made it bearable, you helped save us. The fear, sweat, tears, laughter, and everything else we shared will never be forgotten…bittersweet memories of a desperate time.

As I rode my bike down the waterfront this afternoon, bustling with people and looking up into the bluebird skies (with a few white fluffy clouds), and a fresh breeze coming off the Caribbean...I couldn't help but smile and think to myself, "What a difference a year makes."

Viva Cozumel!!!!

I cant believe its been a year already!! ((HUGS)) I know that were all glad that you guys came thru ok, and that things are getting back to normal! :)

Yeah - my wife reminded me AGAIN when I mentioned I wanted to go diving in OCtober how much fun I had trying to get out that day last year. See you soon!!!!

Special blessings sent to Cozumel today......continue to heal and grow strong !!! You all came through quite an ordeal. Rest easy tonight. Sue

Christi,

I emailed and PM'ed you about two weeks ago. Did you get my messages?

I remember that time so well...I was leaving for CoCo View when Wilma hit Cozumel....I was thinking of you when I was in the plane....when we landed in Roatan....Wilma had just pass nearby but there were trees down and the saltwater had burned a lot of foliage....I remember thinking wow just think what it is doing to Cozumel....but didn't learn of the devastation until I had returned a week later...but was so glad to hear from you and that you were safe.....

I was just thinking about it on the weekend. I had noticed that the cruise ships were again docking at the Punta Lagosta pier about two weeks ago.

I was decribing to one of our reps what had happened one day last week. She actually thought I had moved there as It's been a year and a half since I last saw her and mentioned about retirement plans....

I still make referance that the eye sat on Troy's house for 60 hours......:wink:

Ron

El viento que sopla esta luz de una vela fuera tiene mas ser sentía. Puédalo se queda esa manera...

The wind that blows this candlelight out has yet to be felt. May it remain that way...

Viva Cozumel!

This is a tough anniversary, I really havent been able to talk to anyone about it and make any sense. There are no words to adequately describe how wilma felt or how it affected us individually. I know that I was traumatised to some degree, it would be impossible not to be, how much I probably underestimate, but I am glad we survived it, I am glad there was so little human toll,

Wilma was not my only hurricane during my fifteen years living in the tropics, but it was the only one that counts, and the one that haunts me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom